Sign in to follow this  
awake

2012 better than 2011?

This is why when people tell me I'm a pessimist I tell them I'm and 'optimist realist'. I hope for the best, but see what's going on. The world's economic markets are crumbling and the current way things are done won't allow them to correct themselves. *shrugs* Let's just hope we don't go and get in another war. That's be just the right thing to top off this mess that's going on.

I got into it with a co worker yesterday, I was discussing some TEOTWAWKI theories with a survivalist friend/co worker when another one of our co workers overheard us. He told us we were crazy and that the U.S Government would never allow a total collapse or WROL to occur. Im a realistic person. I have been watching our nation and world slowly crumble apart fairly rapidly for the last 15 years, I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I told him not to come looking for food/supplies/shelter from me. A typical "it will never happen here" type. I truely HOPE he is right. As far as the original post question is concerned here, I do not think this year will be better than the last. I also do not think the end will neccessarily come on 12/21 (however I do see it as a possibility), between Iran, North Korea, the economy, (a democraticly controlled congress IMHO), we really arent looking too good right now. Keep stocking up and reviewing/training/brainstorming. Everyday I sit and think of different scenarios, how they unfold and how I can keep my family safe and healthy. I also dont sleep much but thats ok. I got chinnese food last week, my fortune cookie was earily relevant to me, it read "fortune favors those who prepare"...I will be placing above the entrance to my bunker.

I personally think the economic collapse will get worse and we will probably go to war with Iran and potentially kick off WWIII. I almost guarantee more of our freedom will be taken from us and we'll see an increase in TSA, etc.. *shrugs* I prepare what I can and I'm of the same mindset, " The future belongs to those who prepare for it today." -Malcolm X. I'll help my loved ones and try to help others, but when it comes down to it, family comes first.

ready13. I have found that many people will poo-poo on your prepping. With less than 50% of people paying taxes and a huge portion of the population dependant on government hand outs, it is not hard to see why they think uncle SAM will always be there for them. I believe the system has started to self destruct. Once the masses figure out that they can vote for people who will tax others for the needs of the masses then surely the end game is in sight. The current administration has neither the will nor the "balls" to stand up to foreign enemies. This administration is too busy creating domestic enemies (in their own mind) to chase.

another group of coworkers that i caution against are the ones that seem to want to prep but are utterly bent on the details of my own plans. They seem to think if they know enough of my plans that they can ride my coat tails without planning/prepping themselves. I will be very vague and use language like "you should". The when where how and why of my personal survival plans are my own. Misdirection works well with these people.

I have been self sufficient since i left home at 17. I am mindful of those who have gone out of their way to help me when i needed it. I believe in charity till it hurts. And i too have lost many a night's sleep wondering about the welfare of this country and the destiny of my children. Love all, trust few, and do no harm when possible. If you follow that fortune cookie i think you will do well.

Well said Awake! I only wish that my daughter and her new husband, that just moved into a Midtown-ATL apartment, had someone like you you as a mentor. I'll be working on their psych., because they are young and unaware. Great hardworking kids, but just a tad naive

MikeE. yep i'm with you. My daughter is almost in the same boat. Most comforting words from her were "daddy we are looking to move out somewhere that has less people". Music to an old mans ears.

All you can do is let them know you love and care for them and want them to understand all the effects of their decision to live in mid-town. Remember we were kids and did some of the same.

i dont understand why young adults flock to midtown? what in the hell is there that attracks them?

i have a friend that lives in midtown. loves it there. why? i dont get it. nothing but high rent, concrete,

crime, and trouble. i dont get the attraction at all really.

Love all, trust few, and do no harm when possible. If you follow that fortune cookie i think you will do well.

amen. that would make a great Tshirt right there lol. your a wise man Mr Awake indeed.

thats why i ALWAYS read your posts and threads. i fail to not learn from you.

its at the point i need to start writing stuff down. in all honesty, im very greatful indeed.

thank you.

i dont understand why young adults flock to midtown? what in the hell is there that attracks them?

i have a friend that lives in midtown. loves it there. why? i dont get it. nothing but high rent, concrete,

crime, and trouble. i dont get the attraction at all really.

Agreed Rick, but he rationalized the $ there because he got twice the apt at half the rent compared to Chicago, where he had worked before their marriage. LOL. My wife and I already visited. Too damn many people. I don't care for ANY urban area myself, but the kids from KY are in the big city now. They gotta live it out and I just pray that they remain safe. I thought about buying them a BOB but I guess that could make them feel like they ought to bug out when maybe that isn't even the best idea, given an event. We need a good book that soft-sells the idea of prepping, so it can become their idea rather than the old man's.

yep sometimes the best and only way to get the kids to do something is to fenagle it to where they actually think its their idea ya know. a bit tricky and underhanded but hey, when you love and care for them, the rules go out the damn window. i would get them a BOB if you could. if anything its an extra measure of protection for them and will help ease mom and pops mind a bit too. a good book or two in the bob will be nice as well.

besides, maybe it will encourage them to spend some time outdoors other than at arron's amphitheatre at lakewood lol. then if your lucky, they will move outside the perimeter where there is less crime and lower rents.

(just my opinion there on that last remark)

yeah thats like everywhere. i lived right dead behind turfland mall in gardensprings area.

back in the apts. i remember the snow trucks use to push that parking lot all to the back side.

we would go tunnel through it. that snow stayed there for months. i remember like in 81 there was a hail storm. pieces the size of softballs were very common. as kids we loved it lol.

My wife and I considered moving downtown 15 years ago. I worked downtown. The theater and arts districts are close, kids out of the house, cheaper than owning and maintaining a house. Lots of reasons but sanity prevailed.

You give up a lot of freedom to live downtown. You're on the bus schedule among other things. I wouldn't get the kids a BOB, that is a weird survivalist thing. However, NASA, FEMA, even AAA says you need emergency kits and 3 days supplies of stuff.

There have been hurricanes in the NE, earthquakes in DC and SNOW in Atlanta in this past year. I think you should encourage them to listen to AAA and at least be ready in case of another snow.

But not a BOB, no NEVER a BOB, just a road emergency kit; my kids say I'm devious - where, I wonder, did they ever get THAT idea? :rolleyes:

I think this year will be a rough one at the least. i am starting to think that all those "Environmentalist whackos" as my dad would call them, may have a point. Where I live, we should have anywhere from two to three foot of snow on the ground, and rivers that are safe to walk on, but instead we have neither snow, nor frozen rivers. The polar caps are melting faster than they were a few years ago, average temperatures are rising, and world leaders are idiots. This is all pointing to a massive CF in the near future. I am beginning to worry that things are coming to a head, and much faster than even those in the know are thinking. Imagine a drought all across the country, plus an embargo of oil to our country. then throw in a gridlocked congress not wanting to do what is necessary to get America free of foreign energy, and politicians spending all of their time politicking and talking rather than working. Throw in a crop failure in large sections of the US, and a decline in pollinators (read the news on the American honey bee?), and you have a scenario that is near biblical in my book. One day of food on the supermarket shelves. Seven days max in the cellars of most American homes (more likely a day or less), 90% of the countries wealth consolidated in the top 5% of its population, and everybody looking for the knife in the back, and forgetting the knife hand chop to the throat. I don't know if this is all even possible, but my mind put it together when I was thinking about other stuff, and that is when my mind works best (devised an idea for a working hip joint for a powered suit with the same train of thought, and most of the stories i write come that way too). I trust my subconscious. It has helped me out alot, and it is pointing toward this. I really hope it is wrong. But, yes, 2012 will suck more than 2011.

It reall gets to me when people think that governments wouldn't ALLOW a total collapse of the system or anything else major to happen, first off to people even watch or read the news anymore??? second, control is an illusion there are a lot of things we cannot prevent and we just have to be prepared for it and ride the waves. Even all powerful governments have their limits.

It reall gets to me when people think that governments wouldn't ALLOW a total collapse of the system or anything else major to happen, first off to people even watch or read the news anymore??? second, control is an illusion there are a lot of things we cannot prevent and we just have to be prepared for it and ride the waves. Even all powerful governments have their limits.

Two words - North Korea. All government, ours, theirs, everybody's is about control and power. It is the nature of the beast. Samuel warns the Israelites that if they get a king they get what goes with him - taxes, wars, interference etc. Government corruption was old when Abraham was young.

I think this year will be a rough one at the least. i am starting to think that all those "Environmentalist whackos" as my dad would call them, may have a point. Where I live, we should have anywhere from two to three foot of snow on the ground, and rivers that are safe to walk on, but instead we have neither snow, nor frozen rivers. The polar caps are melting faster than they were a few years ago, average temperatures are rising, and world leaders are idiots. This is all pointing to a massive CF in the near future. I am beginning to worry that things are coming to a head, and much faster than even those in the know are thinking. Imagine a drought all across the country, plus an embargo of oil to our country. then throw in a gridlocked congress not wanting to do what is necessary to get America free of foreign energy, and politicians spending all of their time politicking and talking rather than working. Throw in a crop failure in large sections of the US, and a decline in pollinators (read the news on the American honey bee?), and you have a scenario that is near biblical in my book. One day of food on the supermarket shelves. Seven days max in the cellars of most American homes (more likely a day or less), 90% of the countries wealth consolidated in the top 5% of its population, and everybody looking for the knife in the back, and forgetting the knife hand chop to the throat. I don't know if this is all even possible, but my mind put it together when I was thinking about other stuff, and that is when my mind works best (devised an idea for a working hip joint for a powered suit with the same train of thought, and most of the stories i write come that way too). I trust my subconscious. It has helped me out alot, and it is pointing toward this. I really hope it is wrong. But, yes, 2012 will suck more than 2011.

Mike, yes and no. Our winter is mild so far but Europe is having a much colder than normal year. Man made climate change is about political control, not science. The temperature on Mars, for example, mirrors the temperatures on earth when compensated for distance from the sun and atmospheric density. This means that my SUV is causing global warming on Mars? If the watermelons (green on the outside, red on the inside) were serious about the environment then there wouldn't be an absolute road block on atomic and nuclear power. There wouldn't be the insanity of wind turbines that have a larger life cycle carbon footprint than oil/coal fired plants (yep, they do). There wouldn't be a push to get rid of incandescent lights in favor of bulbs that create a bio hazard when disposed of. I could rant on but why? Pravda has told us what we must believe and few have the skill, knowledge or inclination to investigate on their own.

A major factor in the decline of pollinators is the introduction of Africanized bees that breed earlier than normal honey bees. They kill the American bee but are too dangerous to deal with. As to the polar caps melting that doesn't mean much in isolation. Photos exist showing nuclear subs surfaced in essentially ice free seas at 89 N. They were taken in the late 50s to early 60s. Climate fluctuates on a normal cycle that is not, shall we say, well understood. Destroying an economy to gain control of a non-problem that we can't solve with pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo is a political ploy at worse or plain ignorance at best.

I do agree that we will see massive disruptions this year. If I was trying to engineer a war in Iran, I couldn't do a better job than what is happening now. The "Mayan" insanity (not their fault we can't read a calender without going nuts) will have people in a panic starting mid to late summer I suspect. I expect 2012 to be a very bad year indeed.

Edited by Capt Bart

To answer the question yes 2012 will be worse than 2011.

Along tr lines of the Mians had it right. We can't read their calendar and because of this it is going to cause madness just like the turn of te century did. Now if I wanted to play devils advocate ere I would say that maybe the Mians were right saying the Ed of the world in 2012.aube they just left out the words "as we know it." With all the political troubles of te world we have now, a government full of politicians that care more about the money in their pockets and pleasing their friends and their businesses we are in trouble. While I do nt think out politicians would allow a total collapse on purpose I think that they would and will because of their own greed for themselves and ther cronies. The only problem is that there is no good or right person or group to fix the situation that we as a country have gotten ourselves into. The people who could fix or have a few good ideas to righting te path are labeled as radicals and crazy. Just my not so humble option.

amen. that would make a great Tshirt right there lol. your a wise man Mr Awake indeed.

thats why i ALWAYS read your posts and threads. i fail to not learn from you.

its at the point i need to start writing stuff down. in all honesty, im very greatful indeed.

thank you.

i would like to take credit for that phrase but its been around for 2500 years in several philosophies and religions.