Sign in to follow this  
awake

Survival kit for EDC

I wanted to put together a very simple and small “personal survival Kit”. I got some items together that I would consider very basic. My goals are zero luxuries, small as a bible and suitable for EDC.

2 razor blades

2 water purification tablets

4 ft of snare wire

2 birthday candles

1 box of storm proof matches

1 emergency whistle

10 ft of paracord

5 bandaids

6 fish hooks

1 large black trash bag

1 medium white trash bag

3 safety pins

1 survival button compass

4 cotton balls with Vaseline

2 feet of heavy duty tin foil

1 small amount of TP

4 zipp lock type bags

I got it all in an old VCR case and put 3 feet of duct tape on the outside to seal it and be able to reuse the tape.

yes pictures are a must when you bring things like this up! I have been saving my plastic containters from coffee to put stuff in. they work pretty well but they are a bit bulky but hey at least they are "free"

I like the idea of putting together these small kits because it really forces you to focus on the items you put in and make sure you have the really important stuff.

first pic on left is kit open and contents spread out.

moving to the right a close up

moving to the right another close up

last pic is closed kit with duct tape wrapped around both ends.

i almost had to find a 12 year old to help upload these.

hope this helps.

Edited by awake

Nice EDC awake! Looks like you could store it in a smaller container than the VHS case too.

The only thing I would change is the matches. I would go out and buy a Bic lighter instead. Not much heavier, and not much bigger than the box of matches too. Also means more strikes than matches when the wind could be a factor.

Edited by CCSir
Cause I can't spell

first pic on left is kit open and contents spread out.

moving to the right a close up

moving to the right another close up

last pic is closed kit with duct tape wrapped around both ends.

i almost had to find a 12 year old to help upload these

hope this helps.

HAHA!!! I am not alone in this!!

Thanks guys. I am thinking of making several of these and putting them in each vehicle and my edc backpack. The fishing line was a good suggestion. I had planned to break down the 550 cord but the fishing line would be much easier.

hi, great kit, i have a bum bag, i use it to store my wallet and water bottle/keys etc, also has a few first aid items, a lighter, wire saw, small torch, tissues, a few other bits and peices, ad a condom to your kit, you carry a lot of water in a condom, and they are light, take up no space and can seal a large burn.B)

As I recall there was a brand that made them a bit thicker than standard, can't recall the name though. A unit I was in at one time bought them in bulk for us to waterproof some of our equipment... So many jokes to be made here, i know.

Lightweight, takes a knot well, great strength to thickness ratio, can use the guts as string, etc. There are better types of cordage out there, but paracord is exceptionally versatile, relatively cheap, and plentiful. Having a bit of cordage isn't a bad thing you crazy kiwi, lol.

Lightweight, takes a knot well, great strength to thickness ratio, can use the guts as string, etc. There are better types of cordage out there, but paracord is exceptionally versatile, relatively cheap, and plentiful. Having a bit of cordage isn't a bad thing you crazy kiwi, lol.

OK, so all good uses, but the space taken up by 10-20 ft of paracord could store 1000 ft of 150-200 lb braid???? wouldnt that be more usefull?

OK, so all good uses, but the space taken up by 10-20 ft of paracord could store 1000 ft of 150-200 lb braid???? wouldnt that be more usefull?

Good question, I think that's up to the individual user to decide. I know guys who prefer bank line for space available, and some who will take a shot of 10mm climbing rope with them and would never be caught without it.

Paracord slides into a nice middle ground, I can climb it, sucks and can be painful, but it will hold me and my gear without cutting me to the bone. At the same time I've pulled 20lb catfish out of the water using it as a set line with a swivel and hook. If I need to make a field expedient repair I can pull a gut strand to sew with. I can use the woven shell as a bow string if need be. It really just comes down to what you're comfortable with, and what you know how to get the most use out of.

I could carry a spool of braided fishing line, but it wouldn't fill all of the roles that I expect utility cordage to, but that's just for me. You likely have different expectations of your gear.

Some people carry paracord just because everyone else has it, and assume it must be good though.