Sign in to follow this  
A16SIOUX

Old Solar Power fence charger

Thanks for writing P210SIG, here is what I find online about one of them.

• Power source: 6 volt 14 amp hour lead-acid gel cell battery
  • Suitable for: Deer, horses, cattle, pigs, and dogs
  • Range: Up to 25 miles
  • Power range listed by Parmak: 0.75-1.8 joules
  • Peak open circuit voltage: 11.5 kilovolts
  • Peak voltage with a 500 ohm load: 2.6 kilovolts

They are both 6V chargers, so I was thinking about hooking them up in series to produce a 12V charging system. This should recharge my 12V batteries?

you only think you don't need them, I have found that I use these to keep critters out of my chicken coup garden and I had a friend wrap his house to keep out squirrels and raccoons.   It is weird that for years you have no problems then BANG some off the wall trouble and you find you got rid of a tool that could have dealt with the problem. 

1 hour ago, juzcallmesnake said:

you only think you don't need them, I have found that I use these to keep critters out of my chicken coup garden and I had a friend wrap his house to keep out squirrels and raccoons.   It is weird that for years you have no problems then BANG some off the wall trouble and you find you got rid of a tool that could have dealt with the problem. 

In the back of my mind, I was thinking more or less the same thing.

6 hours ago, kevin said:

My 6 volt trickle charger is .5 amps...I know that won't run a house but in a teotwawki I'd take it over nothing.

That would charge AA, AAA, C, & D batteries.

It also depends how much sun light you get in your area.

Make sure you have a amps surge protector when charging any batteries.

One would be pissed mad if their batteries got fried. 

I’ve done it once when I first started, a $300 Plus lesson learned from one battery.

Here’s an idea for folks who are in a extremely limited budget.Say $50 maybe less, if you need to light up most of the rooms in you dwelling. This is for having lights & nothing else, no cooking, no fridge, no fan, no air conditioning, no washer & dryer, etc etc. 

One can purchase walkway solar lights from dollar stores, Home Depot, etc.

These items cost from $3-5 each, In my area. You leave them outside to charge during the day time, then at night time, bring them indoors.

Put as many as you want to brighten up a room or just one for low lighting. 

For $50 one could get at least a dozen, if not more of these  walkway solar lights.

They are cheap but effective.

Put one on the outside of your bug out bag for charging in the day time, At night you’ll be a beacon of light.

Now that you know, go get one or a dozen .

Lights for everyone!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=walkway+solar+lights&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixmbyf7OfXAhUs9YMKHZ3CCbgQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=666&dpr=2#imgrc=JbEKQYHeezrUFM:

A multimeter is a valuable asset to have if your going to have a solar system, learn what Amps, Volts & Watts mean....

Solar panels charges your batteries.

Batteries stores energy.

Inverters converts DC into AC current. There are 2 kinds of inverters, moderfied sine wave & pure sine wave.

Pure sine wave is the way to go, better of the 2 systems & costs more money.

There is energy lost when converting DC to AC current.

There’s hardly any energy lost if you use DC 12 volt appliances, one can find them in most Truckers stops of check the web.

What I do to save energy when using a solar system is this, lights LED, fridge through inverter solar, cooling a fan, air conditioning draws too much power. 

Heating & cooking, a wood stove would be a better choice.

These are my views of things from my own personal experiences.

If theirs a more efficient ways of doing things to save energy, do post them. I like to know & learn new things every day.

To me knowledge is power.