Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Pemmican,long term storage.

Ok I have a question,how to do this correctley.

I have looked around and saw many ways to do it encluding useing peanutbutter instead of lard.

Has anyone done this?My neighbor has a electrical smoker that we can use to dry the meat and I can get it to a powder form easy.The fruit will be apples because they are the easyest to use and get and dry.My wife is typ 2 Dietb.and I always have dryed apples around for her.

This just seams to be the perfect long term food I could make.

That stuff will keep for a long time - however, you need to experiment with the spices you add. Without some spices the lard-based Pemmican has a very dominate lard taste. The peanutbutter base has a lot less cholesterol than the lard based and gives the Pemmican a different flavor. Another possible substitute is to use butter as the base ingredient. It's something that you need to experiement with and find something that you like and will eat.

We have also made a Venison Patae (SP?) by cooking ground venison then grinding it 2 more times, then adding the ground meat into melted butter (not margerine) and letting it cool. The Patae makes an excellent cracker or bread spread.

Smoked Dried Venison can also be ground and mixed with softened cream cheese for an excellent cracker dip. Smoked salmon makes another excellent dip when mixed with cream cheese.

Rick, I posted a link for Pemmican in the medicine forum. www.diabetescure101.com is a good source and has recipes for the diabetic in mind. The biggest thing is keeping it dry, so vacuum sealing it is probably the best, altho they found pemmican stored in a pouch made from a rabbit stomach that was still edible after 5,000 years. Pemmican is very high on my list of foods for even everyday fare.

Our solar oven has special gear for dehydration and making jerky. Haven't tried it yet but it is on the list for things to do. Even with store bought meat, it is a good way to keep it without electricity and it does make a decent soup.

Ok I have a question,how to do this correctley.

I have looked around and saw many ways to do it encluding useing peanutbutter instead of lard.

Has anyone done this?My neighbor has a electrical smoker that we can use to dry the meat and I can get it to a powder form easy.The fruit will be apples because they are the easyest to use and get and dry.My wife is typ 2 Dietb.and I always have dryed apples around for her.

This just seams to be the perfect long term food I could make.

101 lard is ok ,but not the natural substance.you may find it tasting better by using the right type of fat.if i was doing it i would start by getting grass feed ,more natural raised beef without all the chemicals.then i would get all the hard fat from around the organs ,of this beast.get the beef prepared and ready,heat the fat to liquid.pour it on till it was all covered,but as thinly as possible.meats that are natural are split hooved ,chewing cudd. cow, deer ,elk , moose ,goat ,sheep.ect.