Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevin

Cheap land

14 posts in this topic

Craigslist? Lots of people here list there. Or there are other realty sites dedicated to rural plots.

Have a water source. Check the county’s 30 or 40 year planned use documents. Also check utility company plans for sub stations.

kevin and wally like this

7 hours ago, MommyLiberty5013 said:

Craigslist? Lots of people here list there. Or there are other realty sites dedicated to rural plots.

Have a water source. Check the county’s 30 or 40 year planned use documents. Also check utility company plans for sub stations.

Yeah the water source has already bit us. I found 12 acres in the perfect area....but it was high and dry so its a no go.

wally and MommyLiberty5013 like this

depends on county but many have an online presence and look for tax lien property, you can make an offer for the owed taxes as all the county wants is a owner to pay the tax money and continue to pay tax your also going to need farm or ranch subsidies to keep the tax rate down and there are other subsidies like tree farming etc.  Tax lien is absolute clear title or else you need to have a tax search done by a title company or else you may find others have a right to the property later and that is a real pain !

MommyLiberty5013 and wally like this

8 minutes ago, kevin said:

Yeah the water source has already bit us. I found 12 acres in the perfect area....but it was high and dry so its a no go.

There is a machine that makes water IF the area has enough natural humidity drawback it is electric.  and of course you can make a well if you do not have to go deep,  otherwise you have to have one dug and that can get expensive. Even if you can have one drilled if the depth is beyond a hand pump and there are a few that can operate many hundreds of feet but for the most part you have to research the types of pumps.  you can ask around and see if others have a well and even ask the well service in your area. of course it may sound like a lot of land but 12 acres is tiny if everyone has a well as you would all be pulling from the same aquifer, should your neighbors have a heavy need like cattle or a truck wash you could see your water table vanish and either have to deepen or find another source.

wally likes this

Where that land is located (red river county tx) the well water has a strong iron taste south of kickapoo creek. This land is 3 miles south...dang it.

Plus the wife REALLY wants a creek/spring...me too so since we are technically in the "country" now this is sort of a no hurry situation so we may as well find the perfect spot.

Does anyone know how to buy land for back taxes? I figure there has to be deep woods spits that have been inherited and forgotten. I'd never buy land out from under someone...but if they have just lost interest that is different.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

1 hour ago, kevin said:

Where that land is located (red river county tx) the well water has a strong iron taste south of kickapoo creek. This land is 3 miles south...dang it.

Plus the wife REALLY wants a creek/spring...me too so since we are technically in the "country" now this is sort of a no hurry situation so we may as well find the perfect spot.

Does anyone know how to buy land for back taxes? I figure there has to be deep woods spits that have been inherited and forgotten. I'd never buy land out from under someone...but if they have just lost interest that is different.

If the land is listed on the tax rolls and has been taken from the previous owner you can send a letter to the tax accessors office of that county with an offer to the tax assessor (by name) how you intend to buy the property with a cash offer or a pre-approved loan  by a bank or by specific sums over a distinct period of time BUT this is all dependent on how the tax office requires payment.

So a letter to the tax assessor by name to the county office and have it sent registered mail so date time received and signature and have a copy of your offer for your records ! I say this for a reason think about it -----

kevin and wally like this

There is a cravat unless the land has been without an owner for I think it is 2 years from repossession the old owner can pay the tax and recover the land all of this is from memory so you need to nail down all the particulars and do no improvements to the land until you are the owner by law  or else if they pay it your improvements are forfeit -- you loose them as it is part of the property you could have a travel trailer but nothing permanent  

wally and kevin like this

AAAAAhHHHHHHHHh brain fart you have to name the property by it's legal description an address is not the description so you need the descriptor from the tax office also date the document like a business format letter.  

wally and kevin like this

I'd also add for the bank loan portion...no regular bank will lend on a empty land...I have experience with this...you need to seek out a bank that underwrites land by itself - like a rural financial institution. I've worked for Wells, USBANK and others and I know none of them lend to individuals for vacant land unless there is immediate intent to build. Like within the year.

juzcallmesnake likes this

12 hours ago, MommyLiberty5013 said:

I'd also add for the bank loan portion...no regular bank will lend on a empty land...I have experience with this...you need to seek out a bank that underwrites land by itself - like a rural financial institution. I've worked for Wells, USBANK and others and I know none of them lend to individuals for vacant land unless there is immediate intent to build. Like within the year.

Luckily I know the presidents of 2 of the areas land banks...they only loan on 10 or more acres...they said other than that criteria they had no problem.