Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brickintubesock

The Fairer Sex and Survival

9 posts in this topic

While my far-better half is an intelligent, strong, motivated and formidable woman, she has the curses of being too trusting and late to defense. 

At a recent outing, my old boxing skills became needed, and while she supported my violence, she was in shock during the event. She also shies away from firearms and is too trusting of our neighborhood jogging trail at night. 

What can i do to help her become more proactive, and more mindful of danger, without making her dismiss my advancements as paranoid? 

Thank you all for your guidance!

MommyLiberty5013 likes this

this thread sounds sexist :lol: NOT just kidding !

some people no matter what sex have the same issues. I still call them :"trust issues" as in too trusting , if the fisticuffs did not get her attention, I doubt anything will. 

4 hours ago, brickintubesock said:

While my far-better half is an intelligent, strong, motivated and formidable woman, she has the curses of being too trusting and late to defense. 

At a recent outing, my old boxing skills became needed, and while she supported my violence, she was in shock during the event. She also shies away from firearms and is too trusting of our neighborhood jogging trail at night. 

What can i do to help her become more proactive, and more mindful of danger, without making her dismiss my advancements as paranoid? 

Thank you all for your guidance!

Really great post and questions. I'm a woman and I'll ponder this a bit more before responding. (No offense taken at all BTW).

Trust her. My wife is as well kind, careing, and trusting....but she is also observant, vindictive and honey badger mean if anything is a danger to her family.

If that's your wife too then I'm sure that the change of disposition that would occurs in a shtf would shock you....it's the Momma bear we fear the most.

For now there isn't as much need to fear that jogger...when there is she'll knee cap that sucker in the blink of an eye.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

It took a couple of knuckle heads trying to get into my wife’s car one night while at a stoplight, for her to get “into firearms”for personal protection. As a cops wife then she did condescend to keeping the doors locked all the time, which is what stopped the two alleged rapists. I refer to them as that, because they followed her from the grocery store to the light. Now, she is a strong advocate for concealed carry, and in fact, is the only person in her office that does carry or that even has a permit. The males in her office are all (by appearances) testicularly challenged, and at the very least, completely “conflict adverse”. She on the other hand, knows when to get out of dodge, how to get out, and when to deploy her best friend, Mr. Beretta. Some people find the thought of being an adult and solely responsible for ones own personal safety, absolutely intimidating to the point of refusing to even consider they are just another victim wait8ng to be victimized. I am not casting aspersions onto your spouse at all, she could have such faith and confidence in your abilities to keep HER safe and from harm, she feels she doesn’t “need” to consider any other options. Be patient, she married you, so she’s not stupid...

Oh boy.....my ex-wife is a professional victim....never meet a issue that didn't victimize her, but I can speak for the women I knew as a kid. Old school farmers wives, sit prim and proper in church on Sundays, chop the head off a cute fuzzy bunny and use the back of their hand to wipe the blood spray from their eye while never missing a beat in the conversation on Monday....I never would consider a woman less than willing to defend themselves or family and knew that thinking them unable too would be a bad idea. The history of women defending their families is as old as mankind, their wasn't a frontier wife that couldnt reload a muzzleloader and use it if her husband fell....there being the angle with the women I knew. Violence was the realm of men, defense firstly their responsibility....but every good wife knows better than to trust a man to do it right the first time! It wasnt until I moved away that I saw (or perceived) women that were not able OR willing to defend, protect, maim for their own.....then I started to realize there were men that were just as bad, and a LOT of them. 20+ years in the security business has given me a lot of time think on this....and I have decided it is a core issue, myself and the men and women that surrounded me in my childhood all grow up in a world where perceiving, avoiding, and often just living with danger as a daily event were the norm.....the bull, that billy goat, the geese by the pond, the sickle bar mower, the wall in the barn covered with sickles and pitchforks, grandpa on the tractor, buildings full of wasps nests and snakes, gopher holes......the list is endless, awareness and action are pre-requisites for living to adulthood. This issue is "gender neutral" it is a matter of learning, relearning, and/or maintaining (as is my case) the skills that maintained the human races since our ancestors ran from saber-tooth tigers, and refusing to admit the need is as crazy as them refusing to believe in those same sabertooths.....only today the predators are much harder to see.

wally likes this

I have had the hardest time signing onto this site lately. Ugh. Anyway, I had hoped to have responded sooner, but I was not able to get on.

Now...as a woman...

I guess I have a question: Is she refusing to consider that there is danger out  there (head in the sand)? Or, is she refusing to get all excited about the same things you get into? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry too much. Your prepping might be a hobby to her or she sees it as your thing or as your interest.

Women are already conditioned to view the world through eyes of being a victim to assault and harm (walking with car keys out, locking doors, avoiding odd places). We have to be this way every single day. Because every single day we are targets. I even wonder if women are far better than most sheeple men because sheeple men have had zero experience with threats. ZERO. Most women get it. We just do from the cat calls on down to the direct threats. When you get viewed as a piece of meat by people you tend to have a higher awareness.

And, the mama bear will ALWAYS defend her young.

But if she's the former - the truly head in the sand type - really the only way to not make her run the other direction from learning a bit is to provide the facts. But to also use phrases like, "Peace of mind." and "Security." And an "I care about you" emotional connection to make her see it's something you are doing with her not trying to get her on board with your prepping plans. "Why can't you just..." Is the fastest way to lose your audience.

Also, I recommend Conceal Carry University. It's a DVD series by Patrick Kilcherman. Sells on Amazon. Amazing reviews. EVEN if you or she never carry concealed (I don't...yet), this is a super helpful series of classes and well worth the $100 for the 6 DVDs which are professional and highly informative for the newbie but also for the expert (LEOs and ,military people have watched this too).

wally likes this

men who are truly capable of fighting outnumber the women who are such by 100 to 1. You guys are dreaming about what your women can do, almost as much as about what YOU can do.