Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MommyLiberty5013

What to Consider in a Pickup Truck

7 posts in this topic

We are a two car family. We have four kids. Any vehicle we buy must seat 6. We have a minivan as our primary car. Our other car will end its life in a year or two. When it does, we want to buy a pick-up truck. We can justify that since we live rural now and can certainly use the hauling and bed capability.

We will likely buy used and pay with cash. 

We are leaning toward an F150 with a front bench seat and a full size back seat ( to get our 6 seats).

Any advice or must-haves? Things to avoid? Any other makes to consider? Certain accessories?

This will be my husband's vehicle. We won't do the "interior frills." 

believe it or not go with a 6 cylinder more torque fuel injection, power steering and AC. Know that you can alter seats and find them on Craig list.  Depending on the weather and road conditions if 4 wheel drive is a necessity or prized option 

and unless you drive a lot in traffic with it,  go with a manual transmission.  all you have to do is ask how much to work on a automatic transmission and how much easier it is to change a clutch pressure plate & throwout bearing. 

I am not sure of what year model but as early a model for simplicity as you feel comfortable with and in very good condition. Since your considering paying cash remember cash is king and although many are touting the economy, there are a lot of people needing cash.

Take time don't rush until you find what you want have it checked for signs of any accidents and history.

MommyLiberty5013 and wally like this

1 hour ago, juzcallmesnake said:

believe it or not go with a 6 cylinder more torque fuel injection, power steering and AC. Know that you can alter seats and find them on Craig list.  Depending on the weather and road conditions if 4 wheel drive is a necessity or prized option 

and unless you drive a lot in traffic with it,  go with a manual transmission.  all you have to do is ask how much to work on a automatic transmission and how much easier it is to change a clutch pressure plate & throwout bearing. 

I am not sure of what year model but as early a model for simplicity as you feel comfortable with and in very good condition. Since your considering paying cash remember cash is king and although many are touting the economy, there are a lot of people needing cash.

Take time don't rush until you find what you want have it checked for signs of any accidents and history.

Husband doesn't drive much each month for work (to and from the airport), but he does have some city driving. And, we use this second vehicle in the city quite a bit for when we need to both be places with kiddos. We will look into an automatic.

I love Craigslist and I buy as well as sell quite a bit there. But, I am leery of vehicles on it. How does one ensure the car is okay? How does one get the vehicle to a mechanic to check it over before buying? What legal protection would a buyer have on Craigslist for a vehicle that ends up being a lemon?

wally likes this

1 hour ago, MommyLiberty5013 said:

Husband doesn't drive much each month for work (to and from the airport), but he does have some city driving. And, we use this second vehicle in the city quite a bit for when we need to both be places with kiddos. We will look into an automatic.

I love Craigslist and I buy as well as sell quite a bit there. But, I am leery of vehicles on it. How does one ensure the car is okay? How does one get the vehicle to a mechanic to check it over before buying? What legal protection would a buyer have on Craigslist for a vehicle that ends up being a lemon?

the anti-lemon law should cover you for 3 years after your purchase just make sure you get as much information as possible on the seller so you can go back to him if there is a problem.

When purchasing ANYTHING, from an online ad, especially anything local, make sure you know as much about the seller, and the product you can before you lay down your hard earned cash. First, copy the street address of the seller, once you get there. (Verify it’s a legit address) go to the local gendarmerie (cop station), and do a records check on the address. You will pay a small fee in most locales, but, you can find out (all public record) , how many times the cops have responded to that address, and in most cases, have dealt with the seller. Second have a bill of sale, with the driver’s license of the seller and the buyer written down on the contract. You physically handle the  license to ensure it is real. Write down the license number, (all licenses have them as do all Identification cards). Make sure the photos match, and make sure the addresses match as well. If not, ASK why? It’s not beingg rude, is being shrewd!

You can also run in most states, the convictions of any person online, for another small fee, or even arrests, and you should. If someone has a history of burglaries, I would assume the items being sold are stolen, but that’s just my past career kicking in. Also, run the VIN of the vehicle p, (Vehicle Identification Number) from the registration, to ch3ck and make sure its not a “salvage title like a flooded pickup from Hurricane Harvey infamy. Again, another small fee to prevent be8ng ripped off, seems worth it to me.  You are adults, but, you can do th3se simple steps to prevent h3artache later.

wally and MommyLiberty5013 like this

1 hour ago, TPSnodgrass said:

When purchasing ANYTHING, from an online ad, especially anything local, make sure you know as much about the seller, and the product you can before you lay down your hard earned cash. First, copy the street address of the seller, once you get there. (Verify it’s a legit address) go to the local gendarmerie (cop station), and do a records check on the address. You will pay a small fee in most locales, but, you can find out (all public record) , how many times the cops have responded to that address, and in most cases, have dealt with the seller. Second have a bill of sale, with the driver’s license of the seller and the buyer written down on the contract. You physically handle the  license to ensure it is real. Write down the license number, (all licenses have them as do all Identification cards). Make sure the photos match, and make sure the addresses match as well. If not, ASK why? It’s not beingg rude, is being shrewd!

You can also run in most states, the convictions of any person online, for another small fee, or even arrests, and you should. If someone has a history of burglaries, I would assume the items being sold are stolen, but that’s just my past career kicking in. Also, run the VIN of the vehicle p, (Vehicle Identification Number) from the registration, to ch3ck and make sure its not a “salvage title like a flooded pickup from Hurricane Harvey infamy. Again, another small fee to prevent be8ng ripped off, seems worth it to me.  You are adults, but, you can do th3se simple steps to prevent h3artache later.

Really great advice! I think we will simply stick to a dealer for a large purchase like a vehicle though.

wally likes this