Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

Hunting season coming around getting ready !

16 posts in this topic

I have long been of the opinion that if you don't have it on you -- your screwed !

I have a laminate stock and the comb has a lot of space so I fill it for balance and to have stuff with me.

1 Bic lighter

2 LED paklite 9 volt light

3 mini cleaning kit mine is an Otis but a boresnake is great too.w/ stainless steel weapons brush (cut down looking tooth brush.

4 all the Allen wrenches for optics etc.

5 micro cloth for a rag

I also carry a backpack

small first aid kit. ace bandage  w/ deet insect repellent head net and emergency blanket lip balm etc.

quart stainless thermos w/ cup filled with hot coffee

Quart stainless steel water bottle

folding camp stove w/ trioxane fuel tabs

fig newtons in a zip bag few cliff bars a couple of Ramen noodle meals and a square snap lid plastic container for making them. drink mixes PB&J crackers cheese crackers

hoodie I dress in layers if I need I can add this or remove clothing until comfortable.

Zippo hand warmer and fuel last a long time and half dozen refills

can of long distance wasp spray

wool blanket

roll of paper towels

folding shovel  & wipes (when you gotta go ya gotta go !

folding stainless camp saw

couple boxes of rifle ammo

binoculars

partial hank of 550 paracord  couple carabiners off my pack  40 foot of Kernmantle / climbing rope I think it is 9.5MM

mobile phone battery backup w/ cord

That is not  it but on my person I carry my hunting license I wear a rappel belt, a Swiss Army Explorer a hunting knife my SOG flash II a bandanna polarized glasses balaclava, leather gloves.

Why so many knives well one cannot do all things well and I always carry my SOG Flash II it is assisted operation (one handed)  the Swiss army has a phillips head screwdriver blade so I can open my kick pad and gain access to it's contents if I need to my backpack really has all I need and what I do not a place in my pack.

When hunting you never know what might happen people get hung up in stands fall  it may take all dang day to see a deer if you are lucky so the blanket is a butt pad more than a blanket as it does not get that cold here most of the time.  The balaclava is for keeping skeeters off if it is cold it is way better than a muffler or scarf as they keep falling and your fighting trying to keep them in place.  Polarized glasses helps you to see into the edge of the woods a bit better and cuts sun glare.

Why do I carry extra shells ... well the international distress signal is 3 shots from a rifle,  Morse code is ... --- ... either by light reflective signal or spelled out for overhead  visual. yea I know there are colored panels etc but I am within rifle shot distance of a number of people and I have a mobile phone w/ battery backup, I also check in or let other know where I am and when to expect me back.

It does not matter what you think you need to insure that people KNOW signals and you know what is accepted expected in the area / country / region. if your in rocky high hills or mountains even thick canopy of trees you really need a emergency transponder beacon locater whatsit even if your in a group.  People are stupid do not count on others for your survival famous last words we'll be back in a few hours. it's a short hike and the really stupid one you don't need a gun ! well don't tell anyone and carry anyway what are you a blabber mouth ? You do not need to carry a artillery piece depending on the critter you may need to dispatch or if your going to be out for some days you may need to hunt or fish so have what you may need as animals steal food people fall into water sh*t gets wet people forget X and eating peanut butter without bread or crackers off a knife sucks  old "C" ration peanut butter was like sawdust chip it out and use your spit to make it workable.  there is nothing worse that looking at each other and wondering. what were you thinking dumbazz.  

Tree limbs are not trustworthy they can fall or break anytime so you may have climbed up but you may need to rappel down your critter may have died in a gully or deep ditch where I am I can drive up and throw a loop on it and drag it out if someone is hung I can use the rope to lower them,  Hanging by a safety strap cuts off blood flow or a short fall and  your back is wrenched or it can cause a rib to get broken  or a few. and a good length of rope can help stabilize the ribcage more so than too short a ace bandage.

Walking a few miles with a broken rib twisted ankle or broken /dislocated limb I have done all these except a broken bone maybe a cracked one but it is zero fun add in boats horses motorcycles and vehicles uneven terrain and you got mucho problemas mi amigo. Many moons ago a friend was riding shotgun and we crossed a big chuck hole and he was not ready and limber necked his head whipped and struck the door jamb cut his head open and gave him a bump you could hang a hat on -- bent his hat he had to have it reblocked. stuff happens horses rear up kick run off they get scared motorcycles have flats (when your in high gear) and dump you driving in the dark is fun --- not...  Boats plenty of people get killed in boat accidents motorized or not even in still water I retrieved a man that was drowned by a trot line I guess he ot hung by a hook stood up and the boat went out from beneath him. life is short even shorter if you make a mistake at the wrong time.

I have known this or had a feeling but David Paulides put it into perspective watch this video it will make you nervous especially if you have children    here is the video  Missing 411 the Canam project

wally likes this

Wally...Ill chime in on that one. My most used rifle is a Remington 700 adl chambered in 270.

Snake....I also fill my butt stock with goodies. Thought I was the only one. Lol

I just moved my stand yesterday. Its an 18 ft ladder stand and a pain to move...but I found a nice scrape with 3 rubs close by. I setup 45 yards from crossing trails. Trail cams at the feeder 100 yards away across the creek shows 5 shootable bucks and 2 must kill spikes....its going to be a good year!

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

Depending on size and distance of my objective I like either 62 grain FMJ .223 or most medium to varmint size game and head / neck shots I like meat I do not eat brains. eyeballs, horns or teeth. My optics are 2X7 power.

If it is going to be a shot over 100 yards on deer or larger I like .308 -165 grain JSP neck or head or if I can manage a quartering away shot and do not plot to make shots over 200 yards  with this I choose 3X9 power and I like Burris or Leupold Pentax or Nikon.

I do like Leica Hendsoldt and Smidt & Bender Swift and a couple others BUT each model can be best and some models just miss the mark even in the best brands.  You would think that 30mm or 34mm would have better light transmission and it all comes down to each lens grinding polishing finish out to the edge of each lens. I also like 1/4 click adjustments not so much sliding / no click. it is better for your optic to be closer to the bore line but I have fired many Euro models with the high claw mounts and out to 500 yards + and not had any ill effects to accuracy.  Each power of a scope should be shot in to see if there is an aberration or detriment or parallax effects and that could be only to a single scope not necessarily true of all scopes in that model as glass is not perfect I am sure today there are many test to weed out imperfections and to some degree is reflected by cost.   

wally likes this

My choice in scopes has been more because of monetary concerns but have found there are fantastic optics for around 2 to mid 300 range. as or more important I use a bridge Leupold / Redfield and turn in steel rings. the more sturdy your base and rings it is more likely to not move as other than other mounts.

Loosening of rings and bases is the number one cause of inaccuracy in an optic more so if people do not understand that changing brand bullet or bullet weight if not test fired and re sighted in. 

kevin likes this

12 minutes ago, kevin said:

The 223 gets a bad wrap from piss poor shooters...if you hit him clean he's dead.

got that right even a clip on the skull it is like they are pick handled. and I know of no animals skull that can restrain or stop a FMJ from zipping right through the old bean box.

kevin likes this

7 minutes ago, juzcallmesnake said:

My choice in scopes has been more because of monetary concerns but have found there are fantastic optics for around 2 to mid 300 range. as or more important I use a bridge Leupold / Redfield and turn in steel rings. the more sturdy your base and rings it is more likely to not move as other than other mounts.

Loosening of rings and bases is the number one cause of inaccuracy in an optic more so if people do not understand that changing brand bullet or bullet weight if not test fired and re sighted in. 

I'm a Nikon guy...or at least was. I haven't Bought a scope in quite a while. I like the Leopold as well I have a stainless over synthetic Ruger 10-22 out fitted with a Leopold 3x9.....but on all our dear rifles its Nikon.

I did want to say that most animals hunted are not predators and they are all wary and being still is not what they do so if your firing from a distance by the time the bullet gets from bore to target or your lag time of thougt to shoot and trigger pull mind figuring on what action to take the critter can move there in your shot from your actual aiming point --- I hope that reads right >

wally likes this

3 minutes ago, kevin said:

I'm a Nikon guy...or at least was. I haven't Bought a scope in quite a while. I like the Leopold as well I have a stainless over synthetic Ruger 10-22 out fitted with a Leopold 3x9.....but on all our dear rifles its Nikon.

I have Burris, a couple  Leupold a few and swift I can tolerate europlex  duplex 30-30 and the old fine wire (but not in low light) my favorite is stadia bar or milplex in recent years.

I am trying out a 34mm tube 2X7 on a .223 just for grins it is looking promising if it works or not I am thinking on a reflex dot sight w/ a small MOA.

wally likes this

Sound like solid choices to me...but I'm not a stat guy ...I just look thru it and if I hit what I'm looking at I like it. Lol

I have a Simmons that is dead on...for me at least...so I love that $89 turd.

Its on one of the other 10.-22s

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

4 minutes ago, kevin said:

Sound like solid choices to me...but I'm not a stat guy ...I just look thru it and if I hit what I'm looking at I like it. Lol

I have a Simmons that is dead on...for me at least...so I love that $89 turd.

Its on one of the other 10.-22s

like tater chips can't have just 1  10/22s

wally likes this

I got one rigged as my night stalker or varmint getter mostly for skunks coons and possums snakes and now and again a big field rat, as all of these have tried to enter my rabbit and chicken houses and get a midnight snack.

One has a laser & flashlight and a 4X / power scope for longer distance like up to 50 yards. the laser and light are for up close and personal and both are right at or just shy of 20 foot long so the laser and light are perfect just have to offset for the difference between the bore and the laser about an inch and a half low of point of impact.

I like .410 but that puts a good size hole in sheet metal as a 22 short is quieter  out of a rifle than a long rifle shell and the hole is not large enough for rats mice and snakes to go through. Shooting down into the dirt if you miss or the bullet passes through striking the dirt takes the energy out so if it does ricochet the sheet metal walls will stop it or at least slow it down so it would not penetrate deeply, as you never know my dog wouldn't like being shot I am only guessing but I'm pretty sure it would piss him off as he does not like going to the vet for just a checkup. if I had to I guess hog tie and a welding glove I might be able to work on him he does not "do" a leash but he listens very well -- after a time LMAO He thinks he is the center of attention looks like ol' Yeller thinks he can talk and if you have food you'll never lack for company, he knows I don't like being eyeballed while I eat so he turns his head one eye still on my plate and he can hear a cheese wrapper from outside so can his side kick.

I've started housing a pellet gun (one of the 1200 ft per second type) on any thing smaller than a coon...but I'm not sure I'd be scared to use it on coyote. It came with 2 barrels and shoots 22 cal pellets at 900 fps...those will punch threw 26 gauge steel. Believe it or not its accurate to 40 yards.

I don't think our new pup would like getting any lead thrown his way either. He's only 6 months old English mastiff. Our last mastiff got so old he wasn't enjoying life ...so I put him down. He hated riding in the truck so I saved him that indignity....I really hate having to do that.

I figure if they ever decide to "pick up" weapons they will not try to determine if they are bb guns or elephant rifles and one that happens I am sure shotguns will not be safe either. power that goes power mad is never sensible and always uses the response '" we ain't got time if you have a problem see the judge. in a world with problems I am sure the criminals will wait until the judge rules for you to get your pelletgun back before burgling your home and raping your wife and children with todays nutballs maybe even men will be next on the rape list.

wally likes this