Sign in to follow this  
awake

Backpacking and your prepping skills.

I thought that I would talk about a subject near and dear to my heart. Backpacking. I am going to tie this into your prepping skills. Many of the prepping community talk about bugging out. But do you really have the skills to bug out? Backpacking can help answer that question. Backpacking is a great way to prepare and test out the things you may need to do when SHTF. It is impossible to simulate a SHTF situation but backpacking can help you prepare in several ways.

First of all it will get your body ready for rigorous conditions that we are bound to face. Backpacking can help figure out how you body will respond to carrying gear across different terrains. This will also give you a realistic view of the distance you can travel while bugging out. Can you really cover the ten to fifteen miles a day you planned on? Maybe on a good weather day you can. Try your routes in lousy conditions to find the worst case scenario.

Second area backpacking can help with is your evacuation plan. Have you ever used the plan? Hope you have plan B and C as well. By backpacking the routes you want use in a bug out situation, you can assess your routes. I recommend that you hit the trails and take notes along the way. Figure out how far you can go without pushing it. Remember that everyone in your party will have different levels. Take notes of natural resources. Watch out for possible dangers. Mark on a map possible water sources or natural shelters on or near your route.

Third thing backpacking can help with is the time to test out your gear in a real life situation. You can figure out how easy a piece of gear is to use. Do you use everything? Personally if I have not used an item in two trips it is gone or put it to a seasonal rotation. Next ask yourself if there is something you wish you had with you.

Backpacking is a great way to incorporate your prepping into a real world activity. It’s a healthy undertaking with many benefits. Maybe you might want to add this to your new year's resolutions.

Edited by awake

I thought that I would talk about a subject near and dear to my heart. Backpacking. I am going to tie this into your prepping skills. Many of the prepping community talk about bugging out. But do you really have the skills to bug out? Backpacking can help answer that question. Backpacking is a great way to prepare and test out the things you may need to do when SHTF. It is impossible to simulate a SHTF situation but backpacking can help you prepare in several ways.

First of all it will get your body ready for rigorous conditions that we are bound to face. Backpacking can help figure out how you body will respond to carrying gear across different terrains. This will also give you a realistic view of the distance you can travel while bugging out. Can you really cover the ten to fifteen miles a day you planned on? Maybe on a good weather day you can. Try your routes in lousy conditions to find the worst case scenario.

Second area backpacking can help with is your evacuation plan. Have you ever used the plan? Hope you have plan B and C as well. By backpacking the routes you want use in a bug out situation, you can assess your routes. I recommend that you hit the trails and take notes along the way. Figure out how far you can go without pushing it. Remember that everyone in your party will have different levels. Take notes of natural resources. Watch out for possible dangers. Mark on a map possible water sources or natural shelters on or near your route.

Third thing backpacking can help with is the time to test out your gear in a real life situation. You can figure out how easy a piece of gear is to use. Do you use everything? Personally if I have not used an item in two trips it is gone or put it to a seasonal rotation. Next ask yourself if there is something you wish you had with you.

Backpacking is a great way to incorporate your prepping into a real world activity. It’s a healthy undertaking with many benefits. Maybe you might want to add this to your new year's resolutions.

+1 Awake. I agree and it's also a way to try and get uninterested family members to prep, or even friends. Alot of people are willing to camp, hike, backpack, hunt, fish, etc and this will at least start them on skills, even if it takes longer for them to see the whole picture. I like using the "living history" to teach but hide in plain sight.

Going hide cover or canvas? I'll dig up on my laptop when get home (at parents for weekend) and have a "tipi how to" ebook if memory serves me well. Also, one of the Books of Buckskinning has a very thorough chapter on this as well.

For a teepee (tipi), I would go minimum of 12ft for 2 people. Remember, the center, unless you are omitting it, is for a fire pit. You can probably get by with 10ft, but if having a fire, safety becomes a principle item to plan around. If no fire, and just using a teepee design for a tent, it will work, but will offer less headspace even except in the very center, although this can be less space to heat with a candle or lantern if need be. There are a few ideas and factors to consider, which I'm sure you have, I just don't know them so probably am sounding like a broken record to your own thoughts.

Great topic, I have to say the older I get the more I worry about it, I have very bad knees. I've thought I had most of it figured out , but with my knees I will never be able to get to my BOL. As long as I can Bug in I'll be alright. Their are some woods around where I live but they will hunt out in a short time. I do have two wells at my house so I think I'm good on water. Have a hand pump., I can walk down the road about a mile or two and their will be more hunting for a while.

As for a tee pee I would love to have one in my back yard just to have. My wife is a Blackfoot Indian so she would fit right in. I have looked in some of the books she has and it seams like 10 to 20 foot is about the average for one. Remember the whole family lived in it. I have a friend that has a Deer processing plant so I could get all the skins I want, But I don't want to tan all that.

hey meddle not sure how bad the knees are but i have some things for you to consider. I am speaking from experience here as i have spent the last 17 years standing on concrete for 10 hours at a time. Lets say that i could lose 60 pounds and be where i was when i got married 28 years ago. I have tried to lose weight but have not been very successful. I wear running shoes at work and use "superfeet" insoles. The shoes are tossed out every 3-4 months as they break down and will not offer the support i need. If i had not started taking Glucosamine and chondroitin supplement about ten years ago i would probably given up on backpacking. Last item i use while hiking is a set of hiking poles. Not only do they take stress of the knees but they offer a good upper body workout. you can find a cheap pair at walmart. they work as well as the $100 apiece brands. Good luck with those knees and keep moving.

Very good thread awake. That is one thing I think we forget to do is stay physically fit. We keep piling stuff into our bags but can we haul it? have we dont it before? This spring and summer I plan on a couple of family outings that I can take my bag out into the "wild" so tht I can see how it feels to haul around and use some of the items I have in there, I think the fam will get a kick out of it too.

thanks Ricksconnected. Someday i will share how i got into backpacking and why i still do it.

looking forward to hearing it awake. ive got to get myself more physically fit this yr.

im over weight. at roughly 6ft5, im around 340ish. my weight goes up and down by 10lbs weekly.

on a guy my size you wont notice it nor would you guess that im 340 "ish". lol

i can stand to lose a few lbs i think. my doc says i should weigh 210. ROFLMAO. hes lost his damn mind too.

if i weighed that much they would have me on the cover of crack-whore mag. i think 280 is a good weight for me. so thats the goal. its not a new yrs res as when you make those you set yourself up for failure.

thanks for reminding me im in shape! the shape is round, though ;-D

ive been meaning to do some walking with my pack to see how far I can get. probably not very but I suppose we'll ssee! theres a hiking trail nearby and i know the length so itll be a good start.

cardio is a toughie. better to get started sooner than later :)

thank you awake-for waking my son and i up,, we used to backpack alot but its been 10years,,,after your post we are now planning to start again--tuesday we are going to go on a day hike and start workin our way up from there

thank you awake-for waking my son and i up,, we used to backpack alot but its been 10years,,,after your post we are now planning to start again--tuesday we are going to go on a day hike and start workin our way up from there

your very welcome rayz. the fresh air and exercise is good for us all. time with your son is priceless. just remember small steps first then add a little at a time.

It works for me. the aches and pains come back after 2 weeks of not using it.

i wonder if adding MSM to your dose if it would help? my dog takes that same mix and i did some research

on it. being that its on a dog, that was no real proof/conclusion to it but all doc's agreed that it should/would/does work rather nicely together for joints. my boss at work swears by the 3 together.

i figured he was full of crap cause he BS's us about everything else.

just a word to the wise. most of us are not 25 anymore. If you have not been active for some time SEE YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. hate to lose you guys in the woods. Just be smart about your health.

i wonder if adding MSM to your dose if it would help? my boss at work swears by the 3 together.

i figured he was full of crap cause he BS's us about everything else.

I have used the msm as well but the others seem to do the trick for me. I had a bone density test done last summer. I have used prilosec for GIRD for some 15 years. It was found to deplete vitamin D uptake. Test showed no problem. Doctor said Glucosamine and chondroitin was a smart move.

what are we looking for at the doc's?

I would look to see if the old ticker can handle the added stress of a new activity. Personally i see a cardiologist every six months. I know my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers. I have my liver enzymes and kidney functions tested. I have had EKG's and heart electrocardiograms. Once a year i have a heart stress test (which i test in the 98 percentile for someone 20 years younger). But that is just me. I would advise others to seek a doctors advice. Where i work i see people drop out at least once a month. These people are in high risk categories but have not seen a doctor in years. What you don't know about your health will kill you.

Edited by awake

I'm with awake on the supplements. I've posted on here several times about my injuries and I doubt I could even walk without all the "help" I give my body. I suggest a good herbalist to everyone is the first step in getting your body "righted" and getting away from corn syrup which attacks most of your filter organs and hormone production organs. Corn syrup was deemed unfit for human consumption until the late 1970's (if I remember correctly).

Sorry for semi hijacking the thread awake. I just wanted to reiterate the benefits of the herbs and essential oils.