Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

Hurricane Harvey this is a bad one

25 posts in this topic

Hurricane Harvey is going to be a bad one more destruction from flooding and other rain damage. The rain bands are over this area, and it is fairly constant rain and we are having many tornado warnings.

This is why I prep living along the coastal areas even within 3 or 4 hundred miles places you in danger from severe storms. Where I am it is easy to get flooded in for a few days as the surrounding roads have low areas so unless we get hit with a wicked down draft or tornado it will be OK, Having generators cords plenty of fuel as well as all the other things I gave up on chainsaws I use a sawzall because I use a chainsaw so little they need a lot of tinkering to get them running.

Problem is in an emergency if you do not have tarps screws drill some 1X2 to tarp roof damage food fresh water medical / first aid and needed medications you will suffer for lack of planning and that is just sad and places pressure on others to help you.

This storm is staying over the same area grinding flooding and constant winds will take its tool on infrastructure and add an extra level of dificulty to peoples lives I just pray there are no deaths for those i the zone keep dry and stay in place if at all possible.

All of you better pray for Houston and surrounding areas,  the last flood they said was a storm of the millennium this is going to make that one look like a kiddy pool party and there is expected to be a day of 2 more of rain some areas have already gotten 2 foot of rain here about 12 to 16 inches.

At worst (pray so) I can be flooded in by 2 roads, but I am prepared it is a shame but no gasoline for about 30 miles or the stores are closed.

one of my neighbors waited and there are no generators, Gasoline, gas cans, bottled water or bread crackers or anything of that sort.

It is a blessing that we have power still and pray we continue to have unless some stupid moron drives into a power pole as some people cannot stay put !

You know when the coast guard is inland 100 miles it ain't good not to mention hundreds of private boats are in service as well as all of the fire and police boats /agencies then there are helicopter rescues ongoing.

What make me wonder is that many are coming with the clothes on their back once you have ankle deep water in your home should you not consider gathering medications food / snacks water and bring a rain slicker or at least some large garbage bags and a chair unless you want to sit in water.  as once you get somewhere you need to conserve body heat I see people on air mattresses with nothing ?  Prepping is not an option for anyone these weather and regional disasters happen if your not ready to escape your going to suffer and maybe die for no other reason than a self induced belief that it will never happen here or not to you that is crack head crazy IMHO

wally likes this

FEMA Dome, where the tax payers get the shaft.

Oh thanks for the tax money, but the Dome is for us Federal government workers, ya right.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that Texans have learnt their lesson from pass experience, not to trust FEMA.

So nobody showed up at the dome for help.

juzcallmesnake likes this

Man this thing is like a Pit Bull it wont let go, now it is suppose to go back out in the gulf and return straight up over Houston and go north I am fairly sure we have gotten more than 24 inches of fain --- this is like a blind rapist it's all over the place !

I do know many officers and fire department personnel and know they got balls like a brass monkey they ain't gonna stop backup or quit `as well we have a citizenry that will come and pitch in  using their own equipment gas boats etc. it is just very sad that many that could have evacuated did not bother many well, because it has never even got water on their street are flooded. Flooding is possible anywhere if the rain is constant and long enough and wind your home will sustain damage and leak with wind driving water in and around doors and windows.

All I know it has not really stopped raining but from a sprinkle to a deluge back and forth, I am not too worried about my property or danger here but as far as I know we might be flooded in for a few days and we still have power here that is AMAZING ! and a blessing and I blame all of you for your prayers and good wishes, Thank You ALL !I have been calling my friends neighbors and church members and they are all doing OK so we are very blessed If I were to ask for rescue it is from bad TV at leat we have internet and that too is totally Amazing.

It does make me worry for many that are going to be displaced for months and then that is just the start if they can or if it is worth it to go back and try to collect some personal belongings and memorabilia I am glad that the temp has been low as during Katrina it was a hot mess without power so I had to swap off AC freezer refrigerator and fans and give the generator a break now and again-- it could still happen.

the real 800 pound gorilla is that there are people hell bent on attacking trump about his pardon of Sheriff Joe Arpaio and all the other pathetic SJW / snowflake issues and they have money to travel to riot destroy property and cause trouble but no time to help in a life and death emergency, I think this out to put them in perspective as useless selfish self centered individuals with no common sense and we would do will to ignore and push back on their Ideals because you can give them all they want and will only want more and if you don't give it to them like a spoiled child will threaten and cause all the more trouble IMO. 

MommyLiberty5013, wally and P210SIG like this

This is the latest report on Texas have a look see.

If this is not one of the warnings to prep, I really don't know what is.

Forget about the Snowflakes, they can't be helped or reason with, they've lost their common sense.

wally likes this

This is even worse than this video can possibly cover.

just where I live I went around and found I need to donate to the local church that is housing almost 100 people and what really annoyed me is that they came basically with the clothes on their back --- really they had nothing to bring not a can of soup a box of crackers ??? OH they brough their dogs w/ no food I saw no one with a back pack NO ONE.

Since this is a "natural" disaster I will help but when the flag goes up everyone is on their own but if anyone has ogled my posts I tell that we have way to many stupid, ignorrant and lazy people in this world ! Just how can people sit on their azz and not bother to go out and look for themselves find high ground to take your vehicles to but the real mind boggling issue no back pack even if it is up to your arm pits you can bag the contents everything we post here about BOB's is exactly why people need to BE READY with medications first aid kits food water filtration dry clothes and proper clothing so once they get somewhere they are not at the mercy of what may be unbearable like in Katrina at the dome.

one water filtering bottle will sustain a family for the duration of even this storm. there is no clean water except in pressurized systems but even those may be suspect.

as of now most hospitals are NOT OPEN they cannot get staff in and I am sure the supplies are dwindling as we have for years counted on just in time stocking.

GHB's in peoples vehicles and BOB's could have been a literal live saver as most of these shelters are impromptu spur of the moment and they have very limited if any supplies food or clothing a simple sleeping bag or yoga mat is better than a cold concrete floor and expect to treat your own minor cuts scratches and minor illnesses as the water is filthy sewers all kinds of chemicals etc. 

I do not have children or grand children near ut I have bought and stored infamil type baby formula (dry) I just donated all of it !!! can you believe people with children leave without diapers formula or warm clothing in a garbage bag ? personal responsibility does not stop at the tip of your nose children wives grand children think ahead so you do become a statistic IMHO.

MommyLiberty5013, wally and P210SIG like this

Whole towns are under mandatory evacuation just saw where the town of Dickenson is being evacuated the whole town ! 

Looks like I'll be flooded in for a few days minimum but I have plenty of everything and my chickens are still laying so fresh eggs I get anywhere from 4 to 8 a day got plenty of feed treats and dog food.

got gumbo on the stove now I just need to make some corn bread WAAAAHOOOO !

wally and MommyLiberty5013 like this

I am watching Mayor pf Houston right now talking about people are escaping "with the clothes on their back" EXCUSE ME , we have known about this storm since well to be fair Friday but that means people did "0" planing OK OK OK I'll give them until Saturday, then once even a monkey saw the radar and the size and amount of rain didn't it sink in that water had to go somewhere some areas had 50 inches of rain when any Texan drives we cross numerous creeks and rivers common sense tell one that under this kind of constant rain all lakes retention ponds  creeks and flood control byways are going to flood. and eventually they will all run into each other and crate a area wide lake.

I am bumfuzzled, confused, quietly aghast, horrified as to what exactly were these people doing the few hours before the water over took them ?

One reason why I bought this place area it is the highest in this area in Texas think elevation elevation elevation.

I am totally happy and impressed with the mass volunteer effort by everyday citizens using their own resources  and donating time effort and goods Texas is a very generous and brave group that will risk life and limb to help each other more so than some places I have been so for every failure to plan there were thousands of people willing to jump in and help.

This is the only storm where I have not lost something and waiting for the other shoe to drop or this pine next door pray it lands softly if it should decide to fall over better yet I pray it falls to the east and misses me altogether !

it is becoming very apparent that there are more evacuations than there are places to go and getting out is half the problem as every road has low areas that are impassible looks like a few reservoirs levees are ready to breach therefore flooding out whole subdivisions in moments so as of now emergency mandatory evacuation ASAP these areas are basically surrounded by a dirt bank with pumps keeping flood water out once the dirt levee fails or the pumps fail  or the top is breached the dirt is washed away and all the water rushes in.and the rain has yet to stop in fact we will get more rain until tomorrow and possible until mid week.

Just found out this flood is way larger than the flood of 94 I was in that and had to take my travel trailer and leave everything but I had put everything up on tables and chairs so I did not loose major appliances or personal items I have affinity for.

needless to say I am surrounded by evacuations and because of the storm is winding down I may have dodged  the bullet thank you all for your continued prayers for our state and this horrible event but this is life sometimes we win sometimes we start over as long as we are alive there is hope and material goods are of no use once we pass the mortal coil and for all this storm I pray loss of life is minimal we have had a few deaths I hope no more but repair and cleanup always seem to have people get killed from down power lines and falling limbs.

Funny I have yet to see any RACISM no race riots all colors all helping any and everyone from the homeless to the affluent and people are smiling people of all color race and ethnicity are donating time resources and food water clothing very little looting so little it hardly worth mentioning and Houston is as diverse as any other state or country and for the most part we all seem to get along without exterior forces and race baitors.

Continuing to think of you all down there! Thanks for the updates.

Discussions on my home school forum include lines like "never expected this," "didn't have enough warning," and "thought they'd be fine." 

That is the exact opposite mentality then we have here.

To be fair, plenty of posters there do prep even modestly. So many share my perspective. 

But sheesh. Why NOT prep? Foolish. Foolish. Foolish.

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

For all those that think prepping is just for WROL end of the world no I have prepped most of my life for events like this in one way or another even overseas you need a plan governments topple regimes change weather volcanoes typhoons there is no way to guess one day everything looks normal the next there are troops on every corner.and riots in the streets and sometimes people are targeted for citizenship nationality race having a sack of groceries and a couple cases of water.

This storm is beyond any scope of the imagination last night it rained  a steady strong and did not let up till this morning but it is still sprinkling the scope of this will be taught in meteorological corners for generations I am sure. 

I have heard Mayor Sylvester turner being bashed for not evacuating Houston ? people are foolish I DO NOT care for mayor Turner but I defy any one to have done better as NO ONE could have guessed all the possibilities of this storm this is the slowest storm I have ever seen the rain bands are irregular and irrational. It is easy to be an arm chair critic but there are only so many police fire and rescue and they have been augmented by concerned citizens and hundred from outside the region and we still do not have enough resources to get to all the trouble spots. People are donating goods services space time and risking their lives including the National guard and reservists. Logistics is the problem getting food fuel and water to the front lines the news channels have been calling for what is needed and citizens have come and donated all the requests from diapers to whatever to the point of need some risking their lives to do so.

Every resource is strained to the limit the medical needs of those on dialysis diabetes and a hundred other medical issues are in mortal danger and only exacerbated by lack of information records even simple phone access and doctors offices are closed or submerged  people in boats are not able to see street signs submerged vehicles so critics need to quit criticizing no plan no practice no preorganization would have made any difference it is crazy nothing ever seen or conceived could have made much difference we are diverse we have  hundreds of storage facilities all over again problem is getting supplies from one pocket to another after the water has stopped in many areas will need to be searched house to house it is far far from over last I heard was 10 deaths I am sure that will be realized too long after. 

Once the storm is over that is when the infrastructure damage will be evident and it will take months and years to repair many roads will be washed away so travel will be restricted bridges and overpasses damaged phone service is spotty cell and land line imagine ---well we can't there are no records for the weather event we are witnessing.

My thoughts are and I pray it never happens is a national event on top of a disaster like this that is my greatest fear it has happened before IE the dust bowl and the depression pray for our nation back your leaders love one another fill a seat in church consider how minuscule we are and yet how powerful we can be if motivated by our best instincts and reason and that love conquerors all time and patients are required though !

Thank you all for your prayers continue to keep us in your thoughts and God Bless Texas and the Gulf coast.

Thinking about the flooding mess Texas is having, a worthy prep one should consider is a canoe or a inflatable boat, like a Zodiac.

I was fortunate enough to get a used Zodic from a friend last summer for free.

Im supprised there's no incident about alligators or shark attacks , since the flooding in the inner city's of Texas.

people hae cauht bull sharks in the lower part (below the dam) in the San jacinto river in all the canals and even in some of the bayous, as long as there is a route a bull shark can go there , they are the most adaptive of all the sharks. then we have gators now they are not known for attacking boats but dangling feet or hands over the side in most areas is not a good idea even a trot line can snag you and jerk you in. we are not yet like Florida but pythons are around rare but they are here. We have plenty of the usual suspects copperheads water moccasins rattle snakes of a few varieties the local cane break is the most dangerous venom wise other than the coral snake but it's mouth is small and and not absolute but generally it cannot open it jaws enough to fang you. then there are all the other snakes that although NOT poison a good bite can infect and become quite a problem because their mouth is a petri dish of germs, 

Actually the most dangerous thing in the water is submerged limbs fishing lines and floating masses of logs and limbs these can hold you under or crush you as it is moving like a slow car wreck in floods open sewer lids blown off by pressure or deep ditches pot holes and barbed wire and fencing that can hold you rip your flesh is always a consideration when traversing a flooded area people should really use a staff and back and forth feel out the bottom one last thing ANY drain is deadly if caught in it's grip children have been sucked under and drowned in a simple culvert grown people are NO MATCH for the power of a sewer or culvert drains shear power your a speck of dust and its a vacuum cleaner

many children have been drown in swimming pools holding their belly or butt to the bottom pool drain / filtration.

more people are killed by falling limbs f you noticed our Governor was in a wheel chair a limb fell and crippled him I think he was jogging he seems to be a good man I hope his condition can or could change or be better but as far as I could see even if some of the people are not my cup of tea they did their jobs well as could be and until the water recedes no one will know the outcome of all the agencies or if they will succeed and to what ends the FEMA trailers were a disaster and nothing but complaints during Katrina I don't know what people expect a room at the Hilton ? many do not have flood insurance so their failure will not be mentioned when the camera in running -- how many will come out and say it is my fault I did not think i needed to get flood insurance then the fight over flooding or rising water i recall that one from both Katrina and Rita the insurance company wants your money but not to give it back.  As people with businesses in Katrina were screwed because the insurance companies were protected because they would have gone broke or so said the government so they did not have to pay for certain things like loss of income or pay to employees because of looses from banks and money on premises that was low away some did not pay anything as they argued it was not a hurricane damage but rising water if the were covered the other way then the argument shifted to it was flooding nd not the hurricane they got lots of lawyers and all the time and you need to get into shelter / home and get your business back up and running ASAP all the attrention was on Katrina and New Orleans and people in Mississippi were forgotten and most never got a dime of insurance EVER....where was the justice system the ACLU or any of the groups that say we are for the people ???

It will happen again so we still need your prayers for justice and the reclamation of peoples lives and the government can offer low interest loans to rebuild etc let us hope it works better this time.

Well the rain finally stopped this afternoon but it appears we will still be flooded in for a day or two and then we may still have to wait on the underpasses and feeders to drain off but I have been exceptionally blessed this storm I did not loose y animals power or internet but I am pissed that my phone (mobile) will not function and has gone into roaming mode and Verizon the vampires are asking for me to pay for roaming charges to make a call I am glad I dumped them years ago they overcharged me for years I went with another carrier and paid half with unlimited and they still send me adverts in the mail they can suck on a lemon till their underwear gets sucked up to their neck IMHO. 

wally likes this

I actually saw the sun today and my phone started working instead of searching for a signal or flopping over to roaming a real pain.

but I am no longer flooded in well mostly there are still bridges that are impassible so in a bug house about 30 miles square LOL.

MommyLiberty5013 likes this

It is NOT over for many I think some 35,000 people got displaced death toll is 25 I think and loss of income for most people and jobs is astronomical a month of no pay or no job to go back to is a daunting thing I am blessed not to have to suffer that no I am not "BATMAN" lowly filthy rich by day and flying vermin at night, I get by because by the grace of God I do somehow. 

the older you get the more your income gets squeezed by inflation the government says does not exist strange how every few months insurance and other absolutes increase steadily a few buck here and there but if your base does not increase your sliding into the proverbial hole physically and financially and these people that were wiped out in this flood are worse than those that are middle class as they have few to no options and although the Red Cross helps it does not in my mind need to reap all the coin as it is an 'INTERNATIONAL" concern and it's director last i heard made in the region of 800,000 a year where Salvation Army head makes 1/10 of that or less.  In the end it is the government that gives low interest loans and some recompense for losses with programs but it all comes after cmost have burned through all their resources allies and friends ability to help and pulling yourself up by shoe less feet with no boot straps is a difficult thing. and the older you get the fewer friends still living and their resources are thin as limited income health and ability to earn makes them less able to help anyone.

continue to pray for the old the young and for this nation this hurricane damage to or delay of fuels and refineries .will also pinch many wallets the world over.

I heard some liberals pounce on us basically stating we are a bunch of right wing gun toting rednecks and we deserve what came all I can state is for every finger pointed 3 are pointing back if you do not care for your own when they go who will be there for you ? Because we want the "wall" we are bigots ? Texas has more people of EVERY nation on earth just like New York L.A. etc but our crime rate is lower and our streets safer because we are redneck and I know Chinese Korean Japanese Vietnamese LEGAL Hispanics Black Brown rednecks watch any Bar-B-Q cook off and cowboy hats cover every color race ethnicity and religion except one we all know as being contrary are all cooking laughing and having a good time we have a lot of Veterans and they are more diverse as we have more diversity than the general population and I have seldom seen any pissing contests or fights and arguments at the V.A. in fact very respectful helpful from veteran to veteran and the vehicles in the valet parking are from Bentleys to rust buckets and some come by VFW shuttles. God bless Texas we do have some Klukers and skin heads but last I looked they were in New York L.A. etc just here and decent people of any type do not like haters of any sort.  I think people watching the storm news noticed rescue boats did not favor or refuse anyone all the churches in the area took "ALL" in that came and all that gave and supported and did so without one thought of who was going to get help only that they got it in time and overflowing as always I was not surprised and more proud of Houston and the surrounding counties. most interviews people thanked God for their survival of family and friends God is the cornerstone of all good grace and mercy and he has shown His face in our time of need IMO.

I hope others saw us at our best and remember that we appreciated all outside help and stood together with our neighbors and treated all of our volunteers local and from other states as guests and friends IMHO.

wally likes this

Today our church "hosted" a place to give out 500 hot meals and some of our people aided in making the plates just south Red Cross is handing out 5,ooo hot meals. there are many people that lost their homes completely just in my area.

There is a Herculean effort by everyone to demo out bad carpet wall board and furniture one place I went to had NO sheet rock in standard size 1/2 X 4' X 8' I am sure many items are going to be hard to find to remodel with.

I have a small job not storm related but has to be done in a specific time frame and all the hardware and home centers I bet are doing a booming business. Gas prices are up and that alone is not helping it will take time for many stores to restock and that is if they are not flooded or damaged by the flooding.

Keep these people in your prayer and while you do ask God to turn Irma north and out into the Atlantic as I pray no one else this season should be hit with a storm or other natural disaster IMHO. it is not that mankind deserves grace all we can do is ask, to ask for the protection of others is a fine thing.

wally likes this