Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MommyLiberty5013

Solder iron

10 posts in this topic

It all depends on what your going to solder, soldering irons an be large to tiny and you need to have a good solder there are a few I like HI FORCE 44 (high & low temp ) and TIX soft solder (don't let the name fool you it's hard as chicken lips) Homogenized solder,  and then you may want a plumbers solder.  Then you need heat control paste an assortment of pencils like carpenters pencil and #2 as well as those large ones we used to use with Big Chief notebooks back in the day solder properly applied will not cross a pencil line so outline the item with a pencil clean / sand with fine crocus cloth or steel wool #0000 flux or lye mixture etc etc. ------ well there are videos on youtube / a picture is worth a thousand words....

some old heat sinks from computers (aluminum finned blocks)  all different sizes. acid flux and brushes.

The reason is heat application as well as strength of final joint you also want the solder to be able to solder as many metals or differing metals like copper steel stainless steel etc low temp flows @ 425 + or - that is not hot enough to melt or remove temper in or melt other metals.

I have a pencil butane torch small and lab size as well as "irons" that you heat keep warm with a torch no electricity required in fact you can use a metal rod heated in a fire, but an Iron is easier and keeps it at a temp but in some cases one with controls like a Weller or Tenma and you may want different tips ? so if you look at a solder station for 40 to 50 bucks that has temp control and a iron stand / holder over a simple 13 to 20 dollar Iron you may get more bang for your buck.

Now we come into making lead joints for lets say cable chokers a short piece of cable with an eye on each end to hold the eye you form a block of lead where the Y of the eye connects or for a length of cable spliced together clean and solder the splice (this is dangerous) but back in the day we did not have hardware on demand or your in a jungle desert and had to make do. it is also advised to have cable clamps / clips correctly sized to the cable.

Soldering / tinning leading from fine gun sights to stained glass plumbing to fixing a pot the metal / solder has to be correct for what your doing as well as the solder iron itself.

then beyond solder is brazing then welding and old blacksmith forging.

practice before if it is something you want to look good and use similar metals you intend to solder then test if it holds on the test piece so your not stuck on your final project.

WARNING ! solder sticks to skin it does not like water once hot neither does lead consider a drop of water in a pot of hot grease so wear appropriate clothing small stuff you need to at least have eye protection and gloves thin enough to have dexterity but protect your skin I use those thin cotton seamless ones like museums use. long sleeve shirt or at least take as much precaution as when cooking bacon I won't tell how I cook bacon :rolleyes: of course I am a dare devil

wally likes this

One other thing is tools are power to repair create and suit to your benefit your comfort and all knowledge I or anyone else gives is a seed for a day or time unknown where it may need to be used, it may be a fart in the wind today but life and death tomorrow and nothing is "simple" not is knowledge superfluous I consider everyone today as retarded including myself as we are tainted by the ease of a drive and buying all we need or ordering online.

We have just crossed the threshold / Rubicon of unlimited destruction of ANY society ! that is the threat of North Korea as he would sell to and for any reason to another group or nation that would forward HIS goals.

It is pure horse sh*t that the democrats consider a rogue nation or group to have nuclear capability,  as all can be used as an EMP is a detonation above a area depending on the altitude as to the area of COMPLETE ELECTRONIC ANNIHILATION AND destruction of ELECTRICAL GRID !!! ALL OF THEM SHOULD BE VOTED OUT AND RUN OUT OF D.C. ON A RAIL. ANYONE THAT BELIEVES THEM IS AN IDIOT.  These morons think you need many weapons or a huge thermo device is unadulterated lunacy a weapon less than we used on Japan could take us back to the stone age !!! and I am NOT being dramatic or over stating we are being lied to and it needs to STOP political character assassination using lies to dumb down their base and refusal to tell their constituents the truth of what danger they are in is unconscionable !!! the days of ICBM's is over today all anyone needs is a device no larger than a toaster and the ability to get it up high enough to effect the region they intend to destroy and in less than 2 minutes ALL people in surgery life support or that use an electrical device to sustain or monitor their life will be dead or in days of dying in less than 3 days millions will die !!!!!!!!!!!!! wake up and understand this is not a drill it is not science fiction it is science FACT !  

We are at the most dangerous time since EVER ! all knowledge is useful and should be treated better than gold or silver as numerous times in history mankind has lost the art knowledge or ability to make pumps cement knowledge of minerals how to make iron steel and bronze smelt copper and make extract medicine there are numerous nations that have this capability and allow people with reasons or beliefs to destroy america or it's allies access to or on the site of weapons etc etc etc I will not expose other information but understand 90% of people have NO CLUE just how close and how much we are not protected if they did they would smooth go out of their rabbit azz minds

wally and MommyLiberty5013 like this

So I am reading, and in summary, from the previous posts that...

I want a solder than can do a bunch of temps AND therefore it would do a bunch of metals.

Snake, you recommended, the "HI FORCE 44 (high & low temp ) and TIX soft solder." Do both of these meet the various temps/metals needs?

Are these for smaller jobs and I would need something different for pipes in the house or metal in a vehicle?

juzcallmesnake likes this

Yes generally speaking I would hate for you to buy a lot of stuff and it is not what you need  BUT -------

Pipes in a house and I am thinking copper, regular plumbers solder is what you need and in this application you need a propane hand torch first use crocus cloth to clean the ends that are going to be inserted into the fitting and the inside of the fitting use flux on both ends of pipe and inside the fitting now assemble make sure pipes are fully in the joint. take your torch and heat the joint / fitting once it gets hot take the solder and it should be unrolled to stick out like a rod 2 to 6 inches keeping the flame on the area scribe / wipe the edge of the solder on the lip of the fitting if it is right temp it will flow go around the lip of the fitting you will see it flow make sure it goes all around and remove the heat the solder will back flow into the joint and it will be soldered if your doing both sides of a lets say coupling you do them both at once because too much heat and you flow the solder out of the joint and it will not be soldered ---- so hot enough to melt the solder but not too hot to make the solder spread like water it is a matter of practice.

Metal in a vehicle the only solder there would be old copper radiators back in the day they would "lead" holes to make the body smooth without body chrome now it is done with body putty / fiberglass. the cars were called lead sleds.

The answer to your question is not simple let us say your wanting to fill a pin hole solder can do that problem is it has to be dry and if the inside (what you cannot see) if it is corroded the solder will not hold for a permanent fix the steel will continue to corrode and the solder will not encompass the hole anymore and the leak will start again.

Pipes black iron and galvanized you need to use a "dresser" type coupling or other call it a slip joint coupling. they come in iron copper brass pvc and each size pipe requires it's corresponding size coupling.

to use a dresser coupling cut the pipe in half then cut it again to allow the end caps on slip one down one side the one down the other place the repair tube over the pipe slide up and back trying to align the tube centered in the cut out screw both ends on and tighten now you have a sleeved repair.

then there are "pipe saddles" that wrap around and have4 a rubber patch wrap it around the pipe put the saddle over it and bolt it on for a pin hole I have used a hose clamp piece of inner tube and clamped it in place.

Force 44 (2 kinds ) one is high temp the other Low TIX is a name brand all of these I mentioned can be found at Brownells 1-800-741-0015

Last a repair should tell the person that the area is getting corroded by electrolysis / age / wear or vibration.  so the repair should be a cause to replace the whole area or item, unless it was an accident that damaged the part pipe etc.

side note radiators today are aluminum and there are special rods to repair aluminum but because of time effort and cost replacing is far cheaper.

If your just connecting for art it is not imperative that everything is so precise if it is for a working repair the end result must hold or someone or something could be injured or property destroyed steel really need to be welded the bad area cut out or ground clean to make the weld and in cases like a vehicle frame a plate on both sides over the repair and it welded up but not for road use this is for a off road deer camp vehicle I am An old red neck we did things that were not kosher make Catholics cross themselves and atheists search for a higher power.

it may help if you PM me and tell me what your goal is and I may can tell you where to go for instruction many high schools have a building trades class and farm & ranch repair look also for 4H clubs and of course home depot has classes on plumbing repair etc etc and youtube is a good site for how to videos.

there is even a plastic welding rig to weld plastic ? as there are so many types of plastic I wonder how effective it could be and can it stand a pressure test and this is true of all repairs will it last and if it does not what are the costs of damage if it fails ?

wally likes this

After thought a soldering iron is generally for soldering wires or electronic components on PCB boards or small projects like LED lights solar cells etc.

a repair of a pot pan or such is more brazing with a ox-acetylene rig or a torch with enough BTU's to heat the metal and brazing material enough to stick and if it is for cooking it needs to be food safe silver alloys.

Pipe has a range for black iron to stainless and many many alloys so welding butt joints or weld on fittings that bolt together with gaskets or seal rings. each requires a different rod and your welder may need / require AC or DC rods I like P5 / 6011 and 7018 I like a stick welder because I can store rods wire gets oxidized and splatters and it has a feed requirement that id fickle unless you have practice IMHO it is more versatile but not over long term and over complicated machinery. 

PVC is great stuff but white PVC is damaged by sun rays it need to be buried or kept from direct sunlight of course that being said I have seen it last a long time I have used schedule 80 for air lines in the shop.

new connections types really not new but it has gone through several changes it's called PEX here is a link  PEX connection system

Back in the day there was a law suit over I think it was a similar system but used plastic fittings and polybutylene pipe ??? anywho the fittings would break and the connections would leak, PEX looks like it may have solved the problems.

I have come to the conclusion it is better to run water lines direct to the fixture instead of running pipe in the attic or under the slab the less pipe in the walls or wall / attic spaces leaves less to break and flood it is also good to have drains or faucets and ball valves to shut off the water and back drain it from the home so if it is a cabin or summer home you do not come back to a swimming pool.

Dissimilar metals are the difficult ones to repair like cast iron the repair requires drilling the ends of cracks to relieve stress so it will not continue to crack like glass also if it is a casing for a lathe or some machine that is high tolerance it will never be the same  / accurate / true running. it also requires preheating before repair

then there is like tin zinc magnesium pot metal metalized epoxy  and a host of others that require special adhesives to bond them not everything can be repaired with superglue.

I helped a friend repair a black plastic fuel tank there is a special repair medium for that we tried it and it worked boy were we surprised repair cost 30 bucks a new tank a few hundred ++

I have repaired metal with beer can metal and pop rivets, 600 mile an hour tape electrical tape a stitching awl and sinew and tar plywood rubber sheet and bolts steel plate and chain boomers emergencies require desperate measures  timbers block & tackle chain falls  jacks and wedges turnbuckles cables  threaded rod and anything else I could make use of.

If the day ever comes a junk yard is your best friend I have a 16 foot X 8 foot rack of all kinds of pipe steel rod I beam sucker rod EMT rebar etc etc sheet tin aluminum angle iron rail and track metal studs and trim boxes of sheet metal screws and another rack of wood 4x4's 2x and 1x lumber the reason I mention this is if you dont have it your stuck I bought a bucket of garage door hinges and another of garage door hardware and a stack of door rail as it has 2 inch angle attached to the side. Garage door sections can be used to build walls with 4X4s  i have built shade covers for animals with them silicone caulk the seams and it's dry as a bone.all my animal buildings have angle iron cross bars with corrugated iron doors nothing animal has been able to get in yet. everything ahs a value and use I use a piece of railroad track for an anvil

wally likes this

56 minutes ago, juzcallmesnake said:

After thought a soldering iron is generally for soldering wires or electronic components on PCB boards or small projects like LED lights solar cells etc.

a repair of a pot pan or such is more brazing with a ox-acetylene rig or a torch with enough BTU's to heat the metal and brazing material enough to stick and if it is for cooking it needs to be food safe silver alloys.

Pipe has a range for black iron to stainless and many many alloys so welding butt joints or weld on fittings that bolt together with gaskets or seal rings. each requires a different rod and your welder may need / require AC or DC rods I like P5 / 6011 and 7018 I like a stick welder because I can store rods wire gets oxidized and splatters and it has a feed requirement that id fickle unless you have practice IMHO it is more versatile but not over long term and over complicated machinery. 

PVC is great stuff but white PVC is damaged by sun rays it need to be buried or kept from direct sunlight of course that being said I have seen it last a long time I have used schedule 80 for air lines in the shop.

new connections types really not new but it has gone through several changes it's called PEX here is a link  PEX connection system

Back in the day there was a law suit over I think it was a similar system but used plastic fittings and polybutylene pipe ??? anywho the fittings would break and the connections would leak, PEX looks like it may have solved the problems.

I have come to the conclusion it is better to run water lines direct to the fixture instead of running pipe in the attic or under the slab the less pipe in the walls or wall / attic spaces leaves less to break and flood it is also good to have drains or faucets and ball valves to shut off the water and back drain it from the home so if it is a cabin or summer home you do not come back to a swimming pool.

Dissimilar metals are the difficult ones to repair like cast iron the repair requires drilling the ends of cracks to relieve stress so it will not continue to crack like glass also if it is a casing for a lathe or some machine that is high tolerance it will never be the same  / accurate / true running. it also requires preheating before repair

then there is like tin zinc magnesium pot metal metalized epoxy  and a host of others that require special adhesives to bond them not everything can be repaired with superglue.

I helped a friend repair a black plastic fuel tank there is a special repair medium for that we tried it and it worked boy were we surprised repair cost 30 bucks a new tank a few hundred ++

I have repaired metal with beer can metal and pop rivets, 600 mile an hour tape electrical tape a stitching awl and sinew and tar plywood rubber sheet and bolts steel plate and chain boomers emergencies require desperate measures  timbers block & tackle chain falls  jacks and wedges turnbuckles cables  threaded rod and anything else I could make use of.

If the day ever comes a junk yard is your best friend I have a 16 foot X 8 foot rack of all kinds of pipe steel rod I beam sucker rod EMT rebar etc etc sheet tin aluminum angle iron rail and track metal studs and trim boxes of sheet metal screws and another rack of wood 4x4's 2x and 1x lumber the reason I mention this is if you dont have it your stuck I bought a bucket of garage door hinges and another of garage door hardware and a stack of door rail as it has 2 inch angle attached to the side. Garage door sections can be used to build walls with 4X4s  i have built shade covers for animals with them silicone caulk the seams and it's dry as a bone.all my animal buildings have angle iron cross bars with corrugated iron doors nothing animal has been able to get in yet. everything ahs a value and use I use a piece of railroad track for an anvil

I wish I had your knowledge base, Snake.

wally likes this