Miket

Survivor Mindset

2 posts in this topic

I am very interested in the psychological side of prepping.

My strong belief is that survival takes place inside your mind, first and foremost. Forget shiny knives and paracords, they are merely step two for emergency preparedness, filed under cover all your basis.

A lot of people have one or more of the following reactions when faced with a real life emergency:

• shock or disbelief
  • freezing
  • panic

Preparedness' most important ingredient is situational awareness and it lives inside your brain. Some of the most elite organizations have known this for years and that is what they train members to do - develop a strong survival mindset

Just having a shiny knife or other survival gear without the proper mindset is like having a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 in your garage without knowing how to drive. 

As I said, I love this subject, because I believe that the right attitude can move mountains. I have put together an article on mindset examined from the survivalist's point of view

If you are also interested in this topic and have 5-10 minutes, please drop a few lines here with your take on it, if it missed anything or any other improvements. 

If you have contributed to similar articles (that deal strictly with mindset), I would love to take a look at them, as there is a lot to learn about this subject.

Thanks.

wally likes this

Awareness is first, surprise is due to ignorance of your surroundings. people and events cannot surprise you if you keep your head on a swivel.

I do not let people crowd me in a line where I use my bank card I keep my eyes open and do not let people come up behind me I use glass shadows and try to keep and an oblique angle to doors windows or openings I do not answer a door or phone that is not mine or I know whats on the other side before.

Mindset is controlled paranoia or condition yellow no one with a hoodie is allowed in my space without a good eyeballin' carrying of objects or bags news papers at night especially so. 

Face demeanor means nothing smiling or feigned preoccupation with a phone counting change reading a map or letter before I exit or enter a vehicle or door I try to be watchful of what is going on around me. A door is not just an exit sometimes it's a trap many fires have many people stacked up on the door that opened inward.

Do not believe what you hear unless you can validate it by human sources, more than one is best, sometimes it is just by observation.

If you look at everyone around you as dead a potential hostage, witness or stupid you have a better chance than if you think you have a rescue nearby,In  fact look at all of them to run like blind rats. or just stand there like a cigar store Indian IE Waco Texas luby's mass shooting.

If you have never been in a life or death struggle with beasts, mechanical catastrophe, man or nature chances are your at a severe disadvantage mindset is partially experience and just because people have experience does not mean they have not gained a phobia to the point of panic or Iron will.

Doubt is a killer Fukashima the tsunami warnings blared and people did not increase their pace or look to the sea or jumped out of vehicles that could have outrun (possibly) the waves and ran.

Numerous situations where people had time heard or saw a warning sign and ignored it and never forget playing possum is not outside the rules nor is fainting women fight when being taken and depending on distance or time dead weight is hard to move so fall down play dead grab your left chest and hope to win an Oscar.

Running an be an option small fires cause explosions Bear attacks running is not advised go for the eyes is always a plan. your never under gunned just not behind a sufficient barrier or best tactical position.

If you can maintain calm while all about you are loosing theirs you obviously do not perceive the problem.....YET, Now can you devise a plan of action fast enough to survive. Sometimes reacting is better than thinking. The problem is you will not know until the situation has been resolved.

Willingness are you willing to make a leap of faith take a chance that is less than  one in a hundred and face certain death for it and do it again and again because that is the unknown factor the breaking point when the will or confidence fails you.  and death is 100% there are NO survivors in this world no one lives forever records are always being broken death takes the innocent guilty fast slow old and young it has 0 failure rate eventually it will get you.

I know people that sh*t in a colostomy bag piss through a catheter missing limbs eyes in nut wards drunkards junkies or old and so feeble can barley walk but the days of their youth or before their incident even the devil stepped aside some and all will be held down by a gravestone eventually.

some calamities lasted hundreds of years bad leaders revolt nature civil war you can survive and live in hell till you die, death is not the worst thing that can happen to you - you could out live your whole family children and all your friends.

Last you can make all the right decisions and die anyway because the outcome had already been calculated by God chance physics or pure bad Juju. and can you live with your decisions ?

Miket and wally like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Today I stayed inside as heat stroke does not improver your cognitive or planning skills. I got a fan for the chicken pen and I replace their water daily plenty of shade and they choose to stand in the water with their wings semi spread like they are going to take off. One of my hens sat 8 eggs and only 2 hatched but those chicks are like little race cars I have them w/ mom in a suspended cage 2X3X5 foot they fear nothing I went to put in feed and they jumped in the bowl in my hand and started flicking pecking slinging food every where mom of course gets all defensive but as long as I do slow deliberate movements  she just stays fluffed up. I love baby critters it is humbling to they are individuals and yet are generally born with knowledge in less than a week chicks do fair on their own.I found that chicks that never knew a mother can still "know" how to forage and thrive as one that had a mother God is amazing people that think evolution works have never had children those cannot do much and the learn from their surrounding if their family were bad they learned bad traits etc, selling drugs and all the other things that are bad for us hurting and killing is Free choice and free will so is being decent honorable and caring it's an oxymoron to be a decent person as the world tries to beat you down it is easy to keep a violent heart as the world like to push buttons but does not like their button get a fist in it. animals can be cruel but then as a creationist I understand that since the fall of man all things have fallen to the level of dog eat dog but man is the only one that has a choice and destiny there is no regret in the animal kingdom for action loosing a mate some do show loss but that is selfish not what people can chose to do is be selflessness big difference.  
    • I had a 120 pounds of lead --- but I got a divorce
    • LMAO yea I just made a post about you get what you pay for Cylinder & slide are the #1 place for the BHP for parts or to get it made into just about anything you want. on the 1911 the old thumb buster trigger WWII style commander hammers are too snubby for my thumbs of course you always sit easy unless you want to get gigged by the hammer spur or of cocked & locked still rubs a lint ball on your shirt or tell tale oil stain on your wife beater T-shirt.  I did have a pre-ejaculation problem with a extended 1911 mag release that was embarrassing sat down and the mag shot out like a greased BB but I fixed that I'm all better now  
    • yea life's a bit@h especially when your "loved one" does not fill the bill I had the same feeling when I got a glock 17 when they first came out must have been that tupperweird box that suckerd me in the feel of the pistol was creepy as you fired the trigger felt like a sucker dart spring gun and weight shifted it rolled around in your hand so I was never confident in my point of aim IE muscle memory the sights were so wide that in order to really put them in a tight group I shaved the front sight a bit.  a friend has a Sig P938 compact 1911 controls in 9mm and he likes it he told me he tried 3 brands of amm and not a hiccup in fact no negatives at all and he is picky he's a big guy so he like the mag with the pinky extension  all steel they are proud of them but sometimes errrrrr no not really all the time you get what you pay for up and to a point there is a point where it is to grotesque or blingy to look at without thinking thats worse than a diamond studded gold plated AK pistol with a pair of gold plated 40 round magazines with a mag clamp EEEEEyuckfu. Well thats all I got I was looking at the Beretta Nano online but I have yet to handle one you either give up concealability size weight capacity or ammo snobbish trigger gritty or no grippy touchy feely or looks like a purse gun and then there are the real issues like a decocker sights that look like mosquito bites hangs in your pocket looks like your trying to hide a brick and accessories cost like gold and or impossible to find or try looking for a cheap Bren 10 mag we used to laugh back in the day that the only person with 3 mags was Sonny on Miami vice --(not the Sonny from sonny & cher) get one of them grip condoms worked for a few I had
    • , which can be dangerous and frustrating for me. I purchased an "attractive price point" double action only 9mm pistol, polymer framed for lightweight carry, and possible use in a pinch if necessary. I did this some months ago. The trigger and I don't see eye to eye at all, however, it has been accurate at 10 meters or less, which is the distance this thing is designed for. Not going to mention the brand name yet still want to wring it out a bit more. Had to send it back to its home factory, due to some reliability issues right out of the box, and that was frustrating. However, the factory did replace almost everything immediately and instead of a four stage reset on the trigger, I now have one audible "click" upon reset. The trigger is polymer, which feels "weird", to me, as an older dog, I prefer metal. However, at one time I had two Taurus revolvers, both of the "CIA hammerless configuation", enclosed hammers, and broker both metal triggers off the revolvers at the range during normal fire. Yes, Taurus eventually got around to repair and replace, took many weeks to get them back. I sold them off since we were no longer compatible. I am still looking for my "smaller" ideal 9mm pistol. Like the innate reliability and accuracy of the (friends owned) 9mm Shields I've fired, but dislike how truly thin they are. Seriously thinking about a Shield with a Hogue grip on it, to give my tactile grip "feel" a warm and fuzzy, or use. Pachmayr grip glove, both the Hogue and the packs I use on other pistols and love them. perhaps I "fell" for the 10+1 round capacity, (which I can now get close to ) with a Shield, or the weight made me bite. Kind of perplexed with myself at this point. The pistol works for its intended purposes, just can't  get all confident about it for some reason, and THAT, is wholly unacceptable to me.