Miket

Survivor Mindset

11 posts in this topic

I am very interested in the psychological side of prepping.

My strong belief is that survival takes place inside your mind, first and foremost. Forget shiny knives and paracords, they are merely step two for emergency preparedness, filed under cover all your basis.

A lot of people have one or more of the following reactions when faced with a real life emergency:

• shock or disbelief
  • freezing
  • panic

Preparedness' most important ingredient is situational awareness and it lives inside your brain. Some of the most elite organizations have known this for years and that is what they train members to do - develop a strong survival mindset

Just having a shiny knife or other survival gear without the proper mindset is like having a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 in your garage without knowing how to drive. 

As I said, I love this subject, because I believe that the right attitude can move mountains. I have put together an article on mindset examined from the survivalist's point of view

If you are also interested in this topic and have 5-10 minutes, please drop a few lines here with your take on it, if it missed anything or any other improvements. 

If you have contributed to similar articles (that deal strictly with mindset), I would love to take a look at them, as there is a lot to learn about this subject.

Thanks.

wally likes this

Awareness is first, surprise is due to ignorance of your surroundings. people and events cannot surprise you if you keep your head on a swivel.

I do not let people crowd me in a line where I use my bank card I keep my eyes open and do not let people come up behind me I use glass shadows and try to keep and an oblique angle to doors windows or openings I do not answer a door or phone that is not mine or I know whats on the other side before.

Mindset is controlled paranoia or condition yellow no one with a hoodie is allowed in my space without a good eyeballin' carrying of objects or bags news papers at night especially so. 

Face demeanor means nothing smiling or feigned preoccupation with a phone counting change reading a map or letter before I exit or enter a vehicle or door I try to be watchful of what is going on around me. A door is not just an exit sometimes it's a trap many fires have many people stacked up on the door that opened inward.

Do not believe what you hear unless you can validate it by human sources, more than one is best, sometimes it is just by observation.

If you look at everyone around you as dead a potential hostage, witness or stupid you have a better chance than if you think you have a rescue nearby,In  fact look at all of them to run like blind rats. or just stand there like a cigar store Indian IE Waco Texas luby's mass shooting.

If you have never been in a life or death struggle with beasts, mechanical catastrophe, man or nature chances are your at a severe disadvantage mindset is partially experience and just because people have experience does not mean they have not gained a phobia to the point of panic or Iron will.

Doubt is a killer Fukashima the tsunami warnings blared and people did not increase their pace or look to the sea or jumped out of vehicles that could have outrun (possibly) the waves and ran.

Numerous situations where people had time heard or saw a warning sign and ignored it and never forget playing possum is not outside the rules nor is fainting women fight when being taken and depending on distance or time dead weight is hard to move so fall down play dead grab your left chest and hope to win an Oscar.

Running an be an option small fires cause explosions Bear attacks running is not advised go for the eyes is always a plan. your never under gunned just not behind a sufficient barrier or best tactical position.

If you can maintain calm while all about you are loosing theirs you obviously do not perceive the problem.....YET, Now can you devise a plan of action fast enough to survive. Sometimes reacting is better than thinking. The problem is you will not know until the situation has been resolved.

Willingness are you willing to make a leap of faith take a chance that is less than  one in a hundred and face certain death for it and do it again and again because that is the unknown factor the breaking point when the will or confidence fails you.  and death is 100% there are NO survivors in this world no one lives forever records are always being broken death takes the innocent guilty fast slow old and young it has 0 failure rate eventually it will get you.

I know people that sh*t in a colostomy bag piss through a catheter missing limbs eyes in nut wards drunkards junkies or old and so feeble can barley walk but the days of their youth or before their incident even the devil stepped aside some and all will be held down by a gravestone eventually.

some calamities lasted hundreds of years bad leaders revolt nature civil war you can survive and live in hell till you die, death is not the worst thing that can happen to you - you could out live your whole family children and all your friends.

Last you can make all the right decisions and die anyway because the outcome had already been calculated by God chance physics or pure bad Juju. and can you live with your decisions ?

wally, Miket and MommyLiberty5013 like this

A few weeks ago,I had a total knee replacement done. Exceptionally painful, and brought on many "feelings", I have not considered before this experience. First, I'm no longer "able" to defend myself (short term), as I have been in the past. I don't like "feeling vulnerable", at all. I'm also not getting any younger, and while I'm in OK physical shape, I could definitely be in much better shape to do what needs to be done when called upon. I would love to instill "concern" in society's barf bags when they are sizing me up as a potential target, but on crutches or with a "walker", ripe-for-the-plucking is more realistic impression.

so, I've been reconsidering all of my "options", available to me, for when old age really hits and I am actually compromised. I will fight until I've got nothing left, then I will get mean, rotten, nasty and treacherous, and the gloves will come off. 

I "realized" while feeling sorry for myself, that I've got a few tricks still to bring into play if needed, and don't "need" to feel "vulnerable" at all.  As for the NORKS, I personally cannot remedy that situation, so, I/We will endeavor to survive with a ferocity of purpose. Screw 'em, we aren't going down easy.

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

TpSnodgrass I pray for your fast and complete recovery sorry to hear your not feeling empowered I think the term, just remember If God is with you who can be against you ! NORKS that great funny as hell.

AND

Just remember hemorrhoid creme should not be stored where you keep your toothpaste when driving keep the rubber side down and when having amours activities do not use names as a wrong one could ruin the mood !

just remember as well we are all roosters one day feather dusters the next

Well thats all I got :P

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, juzcallmesnake said:

TpSnodgrass I pray for your fast and complete recovery sorry to hear your not feeling empowered I think the term, just remember If God is with you who can be against you ! NORKS that great funny as hell.

AND

Just remember hemorrhoid creme should not be stored where you keep your toothpaste when driving keep the rubber side down and when having amours activities do not use names as a wrong one could ruin the mood !

just remember as well we are all roosters one day feather dusters the next

Well thats all I got :P

Yeah...I made that mistake of putting my toothpaste and cream in the same tote pocket while traveling. As quiet as a mouse, in the dimly lit, hotel bathroom while the kiddles were asleep only a few feet away, I endeavored to brush my teeth. Imagine my surprise when the Prep H cream got confused with the Colgate.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this