Sign in to follow this  
terreythompson

New to the Forum

welcome to the forum...

1st rule of gun safety, a gun is always loaded

2nd rule, don't point it at anything your not willing to destory

3rd rule, make sure of your target and whats behind it

4th rule, keep your finger off the trigger until your sites are on the target...

a nice battery of firearms is:

a rifle in 223 or 308

a deer rifle like a 30-30

a 22 rifle for small game and varmits

a pistol in your choice of caliber

and a 12 gauge shotgun...

basically as Wally stated. I go with NATO standard calibers 9MM,  223/ 5.56 308/ 7.62X51 12 ga. able to fire 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells two different 22 rifles one like a 10/22 semiauto the other one able to fire all 22 short long long rifle CB's etc  others are area predicated where there is dangerous large game larger pistol calibers are better here 357mag as it fires 38 specials as well.

no matter caliber one carry arm needs to be semiauto with good capacity as fast reloading is optimal and ability to lay down cover fire if needed its hard to lay down good cover with a single shot IMHO.

Ask 100 people hat gun and you will get 100 different answers first they should be durable next what your familiar with or can operate / shoot with confidence experience builds preferences or biases.

What I choose or can do with certain arms is not what others can because of nomenclature bias or ergonomics fit feel grip angle weight recoil loading unloading field striping cleaning there is some factor that will effect your chioce of pistol rifle or shotgun.

I like pump shotguns because they are less prone to fail and have capacity more than double barrels single shot or bolt shotguns and are mechanically less complicated than a semi auto IMO.

I like Mauser actions or their variants as they are strong accurate if made to be so as it is all about accessories value versus cost and again durability. A 10,000 dollar rifle with a cheap scope rings and aluminum bases may as well have a stick.

Ammo decent brand know accuracy in that arm same brand bullet weight bullet type or else your accuracy will be crap, some brands no matter how expensive may not shoot well in your arm PERIOD. or you can lead a horse to water but you can;t make him drink.

If you want a name brand Ruger their semi auto rifles are not target rifles but get the job done research before you buy the internweb is a fair source some people will not like X just because just like new cars most run fine for weeks some months  years some are lemons from the day you get one.

some people cannot rack a slide age disability or strength there is a technique but it still may not be enough so your left with revolvers or a few semi autos that are not so hard to rack the slide on also some pistol magazines need a loading tool and hand loading is difficult without a tool.

If your not mechanically minded and need to take a arm to a gunsmith to have it cleaned research carefully it may not be complicated but some are tough and take some finesse to take down.

Ruger MK I, II, II, IV are hell to reassemble   IF you decide that you want one call Dr. frankenruger and get his kit have it put in and your nightmare is over.

Whatever you buy buy enough ammo the ammo shortage a few years back took a long time to filter out and it could just as well happen again IMO.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• Animals are complicated and yes I can see where any animal could be a support animal, here is the kicker all animals are unpredictable and like people have good days and bad days. So let me just say I'll pass on meeting  wally, I may piss him off because I know I have eaten one of his family members and Wally may not like that. besides people have been attacked by their pets like mice rats gerbils cats and dogs much less anything with more teeth. Emotional support alligator                
    • Another fine mess,  Asteroids are smacking Earth twice as often as before, and that reminds me of Revelation 8:10- 12 -- 10 Then the third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star burning like a torch fell from heaven and landed on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11 The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter like wormwood oil, and many people died from the bitter waters. 12 Then the fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun and moon and stars were struck. A third of the stars were darkened, a third of the day. I'm not saying that this event is close but who knows what or how many are the precursors to this event, if it is like a woman in labor as the Biblical narrative describes it will increase exponentially until the end, that in the face of all the increases of fire, flood, famine,earthquakes and astrological events reminds me of Luke 21:26 men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. as recently as a few years ago a large asteroid passed between the earth and the moon or as they call it a near miss, and NASA or anyone else spotted it before it was right on top of us, so for all of you who think science and technology can save us until we build a solar sail or anchoring rockets to attach to space threats it just is going to be a bad day for some of us IMO.
    • Lmao Protests, a punch thrown and provocative jokes as Louis C.K. performs in San Jose. Louis C.K. became one of the biggest stories in the #metoo movement in 2017, after he was accused of sexual misconduct, and admitted to masturbating in front of female comics. After stepping away from the spotlight, he began performing again in New York last year, generating more controversy for his comedy, including a set in late December that appeared to mock survivors of the Parkland, Fla., school shooting. The protest was organized by Enough is Enough Voter Project. Micheal Dauber, one of the protestors pointed out that San Jose Improv has acts booked through May, with no female headliners listed, “That speaks volumes,” Dauber said. Louis CK is not that funny to make a living off comedy he is just another jerk  IMO
    • The earthquake portion of the leading quotation of this post is working overtime. A micro earthquake struck early this morning in Malibu, where residents are already dealing with heavy rainfall and mudslides Thursday. A 2.8 earthquake was reported at 12:35 a.m. at a depth of just over one mile, with an epicenter just a few miles inland from Point Dume, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. For the second morning in a row, East Bay residents were jolted out of bed by an earthquake.  Wednesday morning's 3.4-magnitude quake hit at 4:42 a.m. Three small aftershocks followed: a 1.9-magnitude at 4:45 a.m., a 2.0 at 4:48 a.m., and a 1.1 at 8:52 a.m, centered near Piedmont and the Oakland hills along the Hayward Fault. The USGS pinpointed the epicenter near the intersection State Route 24 and Tunnel Road.
    • Models Can't Keep Up With Migrating Magnetic North Pole.The magnetic north pole is shifting at an unprecedented rate. Over the last 30 years, the rate of distance that the magnetic north pole moves per year has sped up, around 15km per year to around 55km per year, the Earth’s magnetic field, which assists with navigation. But the rapid and irregular movements of the north magnetic pole over the past three years have made the 2015 WMM (worlds magnetic model) inaccurate. Here is how important magnetic north is to navigation by land or sea. For every degree you fly off course, you will miss your target by 92 feet. For every 60 miles you , you will miss your target by one mile. Flying around the equator will land you almost 500 miles off target. Water, IE creeks lakes ponds or wells If you have never been there physically and guided by charts and a compass you could miss and if your not sure what the declination was be looking on the wrong side of magnetic north  the smaller the target or lack of visible landmarks and you may never find it.  Here is where a TOPO map could help if the region you in has enough changes in elevation if your on the great plains forget it. Dead reckoning by sight using trees to be able to see ahead or follow roads train tracks or use mountains or other sources is possible, that possibility is predicated on visibility bad weather fog, tree canopy or heavy ash from a volcano will impede your movement as well as ability to sight the sun moon or stars / celestial navigation points. My sense is to have up to date charts road and topo maps and try to validate them using google earth. Here is where I have attempted t expose the normalcy bias of those that think everything will remain constant, nature is not you friend, your never one with the universe, the only constant is death he and his buddy Murphy or Murphy's law are always to trip you up confuse you into making a mistake and we all make them you can stave them off if you remain calm and use your wits IMHO.