Sign in to follow this  
awake

What have you done today to better your Prep?

Should thread be ended at 60 pages and started fresh as a part 2  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should thread be ended at 60 pages and started fresh as a part 2

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes but different number of pages - see post

I signed up here - guess that's a start.
Welcome Nana.... good thread to say hi.... lol Vicious.... going for 6 hours at 170 and see how it goes..... so I can check it when I get home from work.... got a great recipe with soy, brown sugar, and a little heat.... will give a report on Wednesday... Oven works well .. if you are dealing with really high moisture items... may need to prop open the oven door.... Film at 11....

Guest kevin

lol tell DH to be careful. i fell for my wife when she helped me skin a raccoon her THEN husband was to squimish to help with. i get her to help me process some game out at least once a month......keeps her happy. lol

while my parents were out and about i had them pick me up a set of emergency triangles for my car kit. and i am going to have them return my soda cans for deposit, i have a lot of soda cans, and will use the money for my emergency cash stash. i dug out my fishing tackle box and i put together a mini fishing kit, complete with hooks, lures, weights, bobbers, and a stringer. i was able to fit it all in one of my old prescription bottles and that way the hooks dont get caught up on stuff. still trying to come up with a way to fit some fishing line in the kit, as i dont want to have to be lame and buy one of those pocket fishermen things. trying to nail down ideas for my altoid can survival kit, as the ones i usually see contain stuff i already have somewhere else. so im brainstorming right now. my kit is becoming slowly quite extensive. i have a radio coming in the mail, along with a preppers survival guide. made a list of items that we can use in our food supply. had hubby grab a few items while he was out to add to food storage, mainly canned goods. so im getting there. i have a couple days worth of food so far. considering talking to my parents about keeping some things at their place as my bug out shelter. they have a huge basement, and although it is unfinished, it would make a good shelter in a pinch. we could spread out a tent, on the dirt floor, use one area for food storage. there are already measures in place for water storage. my dh is going to talk to my dad about teaching him to hunt. dh is a city boy but has finally decided to try his hand at hunting, mainly deer. my dad has lots of experience in that area, and although he taught me to hunt, its been 15 years since ive dressed a kill. i could use a remedial course myself. trying to figure out what skills i can learn that would be useful to our "team". my mother is going to teach me food canning and preserving. i am considering making jerky and other dried or dehydrated foods, as i have access to a food dehydrator.

Guest kevin

way to go jessie, trying is the part that matters the most. on the fishing line you need i would just wind it round the prescription bottle tackle kit till you have say 30 ft. wrap that in a good bit of ELECTRICAL tape( ya duct tape is awesome but it sticks to the string TOO well). now you have a water proof band aid for after you hand line a good sized fish. any way you could squeeze a dab of neosporin in your kit?with swamp water in a cut it would be nice to have. i vote over the counter meds.(tylonal ,advil, MYDOL,lots of pepto, neosporin ect).for the altoids can.

Edited by kevin

way to go jessie, trying is the part that matters the most. on the fishing line you need i would just wind it round the prescription bottle tackle kit till you have say 30 ft. wrap that in a good bit of ELECTRICAL tape( ya duct tape is awesome but it sticks to the string TOO well). now you have a water proof band aid for after you hand line a good sized fish. any way you could squeeze a dab of neosporin in your kit?with swamp water in a cut it would be nice to have. i vote over the counter meds.(tylonal ,advil, MYDOL,lots of pepto, neosporin ect).for the altoids can.

i have a full tube of neosporin in there, as well as tylenol. have aspirin in already and have got to put the ibuprofen back in, that actually came in handy when we ran out. midol i cant use, due to bariatric surgery, and id be the only one using it anyway. will do on the pepto though. i have mini pill bags that can fit the tylenol, ibuprofen and aspirin no problem. adding immodium to the list as that is a staple with two former bariatric patients (hubby and me)i have two small kids so kids tylenol is definitely going in. what about benadryl? im going to try for a mini mobile pharmacy. i know that dh and i cant use the aspirin or ibuprofen but i have a mother in law that can. wondering if i can get a hold of those reusable thermometer strips that my mom used to use on me, i think they might fit in the tin too.

I just picked up my bi weekley supply of glass bottles from a local watering hole.Cleaned sorted and filled with water and stashed in basement(1.75 liter and some smaller 750milliter).The Hennessy cognac bottles have Corks and make great storage for just about anything liquid..I purchased an extra 50 rounds of 22mag hollow point $8.49 wally world..

I just picked up my bi weekley supply of glass bottles from a local watering hole.Cleaned sorted and filled with water and stashed in basement(1.75 liter and some smaller 750milliter).The Hennessy cognac bottles have Corks and make great storage for just about anything liquid..I purchased an extra 50 rounds of 22mag hollow point $8.49 wally world..

This is a great idea, I'm gonna get me some bottles, I'm already saving corks, not too many ideas on what else I can use them for, any ideas?

Bought stacking shelves to organize my food supplies better. During a recent check I found that I'm using some stuff faster than anticipated, so need to recalculate. Also found that my best source for good, but cheap (er) coffee has gone out of business, which bummed me, but found another one ($4.99 for 12 oz). Since this is one of many items I've noticed really moving up fast, I bought 10 packages. With what I already had, I now have coffee for more than a year!! You don't me around if I don't get my coffee!! Come to think of it, I may go back tomorrow and get more.

By the way, last week I was looking at spices at Safeway. Dry mustard (4 oz) at $18.63!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sure it was an error and had the store check it, guess what, NOT. The next day I bought a 7oz container at the grocery discount for $2.99!! It is getting to be more and more important to do price comparison and grab a good deal when you can.

Urban Wolf, I have lots of the small spice jars, since I use them for everyday cooking, but for storage I prefer the large ones. Discount Grocery ( a chain) has several of the 7oz for $2.99 each. If you have this chain available to you, I would recommend checking it out. They always have good deals! W/o coupons (which they don't accept, except there own), I routinely save 40-50% over Walmart, which is my next best price.

Guest survival101

can't wait to see 'em!

Weedeater luvs me. He bought me a sale book from Barnes & Noble called "Special Forces Unarmed Combat Guide" Illustrations on self defense. Very helpful.

Oh, and the tent footprint came in today. Amazing. Cannot wait to camp in this tent. So light. If I could pare down my pack a bit, I could really do this.

Edited by survival101

I went to Walmart after work for my regular Thursday grocery trip and decided to look around a bit for anything that might be useful. I made my first prep purchases: matches, duct tape, and a couple of small tight-closing storage containers. And I put a large container of dried diced onions into a box with some foil packs of tuna and salmon.

I know, nothing to brag on, but you gotta start somewhere.

I went to Walmart after work for my regular Thursday grocery trip and decided to look around a bit for anything that might be useful. I made my first prep purchases: matches, duct tape, and a couple of small tight-closing storage containers. And I put a large container of dried diced onions into a box with some foil packs of tuna and salmon.

I know, nothing to brag on, but you gotta start somewhere.

Good start, you will be shocked as your small prepps start to add up!

well i found my BOV. we put in an app for financing. its going to be my dh's work vehicle. its a 2006 dodge ram 2500 with super crew cab and the 8 foot bed. its got enough room to fit all five of us, and once my dad locates a cap for it, it will be perfect for a BOV. also im trying to get my hands on an electronic cigarette system for mil. sorry but i cant stand her on a good day and if she goes without nicotine it wont be a good day. i know they wont last long, but its better than nothing. seems like a trivial prep but if i have to have my family sheltering in, im not going to sacrifice their health.

i also got a pack of 5 of military surplus can openers- 38s i think. still trying to figure out absolute necessities.

Edited by jessiecrafty1

Guest survival101

3L Water added to stock. Began working a plan to decrease our housing and utilities expenses so we can add to our cash savings and non-food preps. It may also give us an opportunity to garden on a small scale, and possibly improve our homesteading skills. More later.