Sign in to follow this  
awake

What have you done today to better your Prep?

Should thread be ended at 60 pages and started fresh as a part 2  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should thread be ended at 60 pages and started fresh as a part 2

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes but different number of pages - see post

Picked up a 7 pack of lighters, box of strike anywhere matches. I was also looking for a 22cal rifle, any suggestions.

Ruger 10/22

or

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, AR-15 Style .22 Long Rifle Semi-Automatic Carbine

Picked up a 7 pack of lighters, box of strike anywhere matches. I was also looking for a 22cal rifle, any suggestions.

I have a Savage 22lr rifle. They are around $110 at wally world. It's a bolt action, with black synthetic stock. Ruger 10/22s are also always a welcome addition to my "toys".

If you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, you could get get .22/.410 over/under. Also, a Henry 22 survival rifle (easy to store in a BOB, and it floats) might be a good gun for your situation.

Guest survival101

y'all are amazing. too bad there's no way to draw this community together in the event of SHTF or worse. love being here cause i get inspired every day. added another 3L water storage, sold my dining table and handed the money over to Weedeater to use on preps. $350 bucks. Spent $20 bucks on an old Hoyt/Easton Compound bow and a pair of older model paintball guns by Spyder that only need a little refurbish. I figure it's good for hand/eye coordination, fun, and maybe scare off unwanted visitors in a SHTF situation. Who knows...

well i purchased a camping trowel, foldable so it can easily be stowed away. also picked up some compasses and 2 squeeze to charge flashlights. have an idea for a medical alert/paracord bracelet in the works. kids and i ran power outage drills so my kids could navigate in the dark if the power went out. went over the basics with them as to what immediate needs are in emergency situations. i was not trying to scare them, but prepare them in case electric went off again like it had earlier today. made up a box of "power outage" kit so they could get things like headlamps out easier than trying to search through my survival kit box. i separated them so i would know exactly where things like gloves, hats candles, lighters, and handwarmers are when we need them. the other survival kit is my shtf box and has things im less likely to use, like my water filtration system, toilet paper, tissues, first aid supplies, duct tape, electrical tape, a spare set of glasses. i signed up for a bunch of free samples that would benefit my stockpile or of my barter items

If you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, you could get get .22/.410 over/under. Also, a Henry 22 survival rifle (easy to store in a BOB, and it floats) might be a good gun for your situation.
Im not a huge fan of the Henry ar7. The ruger mark3 is probable more durable lighter and about as accurate. There are more accurate 22's out there that break down to comparable sizes just not into the stock.

Attended a gardening seminar yesterday and started heirloom seeds for 18 different vegetables when we got home. Today,bought another SKS. Bought 5 50 gallon water storage barrells at the flea market for $50 for all of them. They are the nice blue ones like emergency essentials sells. I'm pretty excited about them.

Guest survival101
Attended a gardening seminar yesterday and started heirloom seeds for 18 different vegetables when we got home. Today,bought another SKS. Bought 5 50 gallon water storage barrells at the flea market for $50 for all of them. They are the nice blue ones like emergency essentials sells. I'm pretty excited about them.

Awesome. Have read your posts enough to know you have your act together, but just a reminder that blue barrels can be used for chemical storage and transport. Unless you buy them new or acquire them from the source, I don't really know how you tell the difference.

Awesome. Have read your posts enough to know you have your act together, but just a reminder that blue barrels can be used for chemical storage and transport. Unless you buy them new or acquire them from the source, I don't really know how you tell the difference.

I don't know about having my act together, but I'm working on it. LOL . Thank you!

The barrells have been used and have lables on them that they contained syrup. There are still a little syrup in them so I'm confident that they haven't been used for some non-food uses after the syrup was removed.

That was a very good point! Thank you!

I don't know about having my act together, but I'm working on it. LOL . Thank you!

The barrells have been used and have lables on them that they contained syrup. There are still a little syrup in them so I'm confident that they haven't been used for some non-food uses after the syrup was removed.

That was a very good point! Thank you!

I have what sounds like the same barrels used for the same pupose, I soaked them with a bleach solution for a couple days and hosed them out . They make great water barrels and you got them pretty cheap!

Guest survival101

Good to know. Purchased 5 Ammo Cans of Various sizes today. Plan on fitting up one for a faraday cage as soon as I can get some foam or block of styrofoam. One for ammo storage (very original, I know). One or two for a cache container. The little ones, I just don't know. I guess they could be a cache for spare knives, and etc.

Last Saturday I learned how to make maple syrup. A friend taught me how to tap and gather the raw syrup. We gathered 90 gallons and boiled it in a 80 gallon metal tub over a wood fire for 12 hours. When we were done we had a little over 2 gallons of this great medium-colored pure syrup! Delicious! :)

Good to know. Purchased 5 Ammo Cans of Various sizes today. Plan on fitting up one for a faraday cage as soon as I can get some foam or block of styrofoam. One for ammo storage (very original, I know). One or two for a cache container. The little ones, I just don't know. I guess they could be a cache for spare knives, and etc.

I was thinking the same thing about a faraday cage, I was going to get one of the larger ammo cans for this and put my crank radio and two sets of walkies in it and I was thinking about putting some of my L.E.D. lanterns in also. You mentioned foam block should the whole interior be foam covered or just the bottom? Or does it matter?

Guest survival101

There is another Thread, just type in Faraday. Our good friends here provided the info. The items must not touch the metal, they suggest 1" foam surrounding the items. I plan to line mine with egg crate foam or styrofoam

I am loving this thread. I am new to the site and every one of you are inspiring me to get more prepared for me and my family. Please keep the ideas coming. You may not think what you have to add is valuable but there are those of us out there that are taking notes.

I picked up a bag of rice, bouillon granules (Beef and chicken - doesn't anyone carry vegetable anymore?), a small bottle of bleach, a new packet of needles, and a pack of needle threaders (old eyes, young everything else). I also looked at some inexpensive fixed blade knives. I'm not exactly hiding things from my husband, but he is so against this that I prefer not to spend so much that I show up on his radar.

Still not much, but it's more than I had before.

well my can openers came today, as well as my child id kits. and i found a firestarter for only 3.50 on ebay so i added that to the kit. thinking of making another altoid kit, cause those little things are so darned convienent. just have to decide what to put in it. im planning on putting my button compass in there, as well as one of the can openers, as i bought them in a pack of five. trying not to spend a lot but get little things here and there.

Guest survival101

3 L Water. Picked up a Small bag of pine cones at our new homestead for emergency fire starters. Please note: do not use Pine cones or Pine materials for fires in your home. These will leave an oily residue in your chimney which can easily build up and ignite, causing house fires. Keep your chimney clean and burn hardwoods only. The pine cones can be used at campsites, for bonfires, and I may even be able to sell them to the rangers at our local State park. They sell firewood to campers. Like Matt, I occasionally scrape together two cents from my hobbies.

Picked up a complete sewing kit for four bucks at walgreens, its about the size of three decks of cards
nice! i gotta get one or two probly 3....hadnt thought of sewing kit,,,it was way down on the list till i had a button come off last week.