Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

Advise me STAT on fencing.

Building our garden fence...using 5' rebar with 2' below grade. 1/2" galvanized wire mesh. 4' high with 1' below grade to help deter digging critters. So 3' above grade for rebar posts and mesh.

How much horizontal distance between rebar posts? 3'? 4'? 5'? 6'? We're trying to decide how much rebar to buy.

And, how best to affix wire mesh to rebar? We have extreme weather temps. So connections needs to not snap in cold.

thanks!

it varies on how sturdy you want the fence  the numbers i am seeing are 5-7 feet

between posts with one person trying 15 feet for pigs...

what made you pick rebar may i ask? i've not seen a rebar fence before...

One thing is if your building a retaining wall you also need to consider expansion joints so go with 5 foot and 10 foot sections like a sidewalk other wise the movement of the ground would brake the cement also another consideration is "grade" but remember rats can dig many feet and they eat roots too but they hate mint plant it on the exterior and interior edge i this an raised bed ?  as far as attaching wire chicken or or expanded metal a wire tying tool and a reel to hold the black iron wire take a pair of pliers loop it and run it around your rebar it needs to be tied as well and tie your fence or expanded wire to that as well.

Like I said consider expansion joints actually you could just dig a trench with a ditch witch and slide in old reclaimed metal sheet iron,  R panel and paint it with tar first it will last many years also many insects can dig deeper than 2 foot ants actually stopped the building of a nuclear accelerator near Dallas if I remember right it was fire ants another way is fiber glass or metal above ground water troughs   cattle tanks with an open drain with dacron polyester as it does not rot and allows water to drain concrete is good fgor many things but it will break if not engineered for its purpose depth width and proper size rebar  Another consideration is HDPE film like used in retention ponds it is heat weldable and does not degrade and you can buy it by the roll EPA regards it worthy enough to hold serious chemicals and acids and that can have water drains incorporated into the design is flexible and made into any shape look it up.

WT20%20WIRE%20TYING%20TOOL%20NEW.jpgKlein Tools Tie-Wire ReelWeyerhaeuser 400 ft. 16.5-Gauge Rebar Tie Wire