Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

tents

Heres my situation. I have myself, my wife, my 3 year old and possibly a dog. In looking for a tent is it better to have 2- 2 person tents or 1 four person? I've been looking on Cabelas online and trying to get some ideas. I know that I should go to a store that has them set up to see which fits best. Just looking for some insight. I have little to no experience with tents. I know weight would be a big issue if we had to bug out on foot.

Shawn sorry i missed this link for a while.

I would go with 2 tents. It would divide the weight about the group. If you have a mishap with one tent you can pile in the other for shelter and sleep in shifts if need be. Also you may have more vestibule space for gear.

Most tent manufactures will post the dimensions of the tent. You can use painters blue tape on a floor to mimic the size. That can help with sizing it up. Google the tent by name + reviews. Backpackers are very hard on tents. Look for their reviews.

When you get your tent put it up several times. each person should do this. You should be able to put up the tent in the dark of night without lights. This is a survival skill that most will not practice. A quick incoming shower at night can soak you if you cant get the tent up in time. Major problem if the temps are cold. Been there done that. Try it with 15 twelve year olds on their first back packing trip. We had practiced in a church meeting hall (several times- once with no lights) and everyone was fairly dry and proud of themselves. Me most of all. You may need to put your tent up without attracting attention to your party.

Look for backpacking tents in general. Lighter weights better designs smaller pack size.

If you need anything else PM me. I will hit you back.

Godspeed.

Catfish, I agree and am happy you have it. I've been looking at a couple of Kifaru's rucksacks and am saving for that now. I use mostly SpecOps brand gear for my personal carry, as that is what I bought when serving. I cannot complain as it survived deployment and much abuse.. I have Condor gear also (cheaper) but so far, can't complain as it has performed but it was purchased post deployment.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those brands on stuff also when shopping, it's good to hear what works from people like you who have tested it when deployed. I've never heard or read a bad review of the Kifaru packs, everyone who has one seems to love it. They are sure lighter weight than the eberlestock I prefer. I just love the scabbard to much to switch to a different design. It's kinda like the old saying that the little gun you carry is worth more than the big one back in the truck, or house. It makes packing a long gun comfortable so I keep one with me. It's not the fastest way to get a gun into action but it's not to slow. I jumped a coyote while hiking to get in shape for a mountain muley hunt a couple years back. After shooting him I ranged it, I jumped him at 10yds and killed him at 77yds. That was pretty quick on a sprinting coyote. Its also nice being able to hunt with a 22 and pack a more powerful gun for bigger game or vice versa.

Catfish, you can check out www.opsgear.com for some of Condor's items. Also, SpecOps Brand also has a company website with all their gear with descriptions. SpecOps has a lifetime guarantee on their gear. I have many of their magazine pouches, dump pouches, map cases, utility pouches and the Vapor holster. I even have 4 of their SOB's (Soldier Optimized Buttpacks) but switched to the Condor for more room. I use a MOLLE vest for my "webgear' (TA50 in military speak). I carry my long gun with the Mamba sling and also use a "wolf hook". Fox Outdoors is another fair brand for some gear. I usually spent the extra for SpecOps items and only my buttpack and vest are Condor. I have the SpecOps "Over Armor" vest but like the greater adjustability of the Condor vest. Also SpecOps is American made.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/

http://www.opsgear.com/