Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

tents

i have made medicine bags,using ecentiual oils,that mosquitoes would come in to 8 to 10 feet than turn around and fly away.i've tracked deer and coyote to mint fields, never seen 1 yet enter the field.

i see a very, very valuable thread right here blacjac. think about it!

I have not had much of a problem with ticks. I always put some DEET on my pant cuffs and on my back pack in just a couple of places. Never spray your tent with any insect repellent. Breaks down the nylon fibers and UV protection. Most of my camping in the low lands is done from September to April. In the warmer months i aim for 5000 ft locations. I gave up on Helen 20 years ago. Too many people. I like the Cohutta wilderness and the Benton Mac-Kaye Trails In GA. The AT is OK but worn out in many spots. My idea of camping involves what i carry on my back and the place i pick to camp for the night.

i prefer natural methods,garlic kills bad parasites,towhich will kill tics and other blood suckers. also crickets,because of the tapeworm they carry,and will die without.basil repales most flies.cedar chips will kill most rodents.a lot of animals and avoid mint,i think its because they cant smell near it,or it might be thats the only thing they smell.which removes there survival sence.i have made medicine bags,using ecentiual oils,that mosquitoes would come in to 8 to 10 feet than turn around and fly away.i've tracked deer and coyote to mint fields, never seen 1 yet enter the field.

Juyst a fast question on the dome tents that super wal mart sells...they are coleman tents has anyone tried those out yet....just wondering think about buying one and setting up in the back yard for a few weeks and see how it performs...but would love to run across one of those CL deals for 60 bucks

Juyst a fast question on the dome tents that super wal mart sells...they are coleman tents has anyone tried those out yet....just wondering think about buying one and setting up in the back yard for a few weeks and see how it performs...but would love to run across one of those CL deals for 60 bucks

yep i have one as well. not bad actually. its not your backpacking "be all end all" superduper tent, but they work. coleman has probably sent more people camping than any other company ever. they do make some

"budget" type stuff too though. dont forget to look at bassproshops as well as cabela's too.

both have good products at a good price. not top of the line, but good stuff just the same.

Heres my situation. I have myself, my wife, my 3 year old and possibly a dog. In looking for a tent is it better to have 2- 2 person tents or 1 four person? I've been looking on Cabelas online and trying to get some ideas. I know that I should go to a store that has them set up to see which fits best. Just looking for some insight. I have little to no experience with tents. I know weight would be a big issue if we had to bug out on foot.

shawn.

we do have a backpacking guy on board here and he knows what hes talking about.

awake is who im talking about. he has knowledge on these issues and the type of gear

and the quality needed. (or lets say "desired".)

ok my answer here is this, when buying a tent i always go one up for comfort.

ok say its just for you, i would buy a 2 man tent. if its for 2 people i will look at 4 man tents.

yes there are some 2 man tents out there that are comfortable for 2 people, but i dont believe that there is a industry standard for how big/small a 2 man tent should/will be.

yes weight is an issue also. keep it as light as possible. ive seen 4 man tents so light that if ya didnt see

it in your hand you almost wouldnt know it was there. yes seriously. but with that weight advantage comes a huge price tag. the tent was $400 plus. most importantly though is you want to match the tent in question for the worst type of weather your expecting in a SHTF situation. oh and do buy or build

(which is easy and cheaper) the foot print mat for the tent. its well worth it to have it.

ok so lets wait on awake and see what his answers are gonna be to this. (LISTEN TO THE MAN)

Shawn, I would look at the 4 man (the child will grow). You would have to split the tent load up between 2 BOBs (tent in one, poles and fly in the other for example). Another option for carrying heavier items would be a 2 wheel cart they make for hunters to get their deer out of the woods (altho I do not know your exact terrain; PA can be very mountainous/hilly).

I have a 2 person "tube" tent I carried (if I carried one) when I was single. I got it from cheaper than dirt for around $20 about 13 years ago. It was ok, not great but did offer some protection from the elements.

Thanks Regularor5. I never even thought of splitting a four man tent between two BOBs. Thats a great idea. I always learn stuff on this site I would never even consider. was thinking four man too to keep our gear out of the elements.

Another option for carrying heavier items would be a 2 wheel cart they make for hunters to get their deer out of the woods (

i have a collapseable 4 wheel garden cart (metal) for the beach i use to carry all my gear to and from.

they are cheap and very rugged too. can carry hundreds of lbs in gear if needed.

i have a collapseable 4 wheel garden cart (metal) for the beach i use to carry all my gear to and from.

they are cheap and very rugged too. can carry hundreds of lbs in gear if needed.

Rick, I have a cart in the works with prepping in mind. Collapsible, can be hauled by bike, animals or people and a few other features. I know with my injuries I can't hump a 100# load for long anymore, nor do i want to...lol.

keep us posted on that. sounds like a great idea. could also make prepping a lot more easier for the handicaped or elderly as well if designed right reg5.

Will do. Trying to get a prototype and production run. Also worked up a "modular" hiking staff and since the company went under that made the net I carry, started in talks for a different net with the prepper more in mind. I hate seeing "survival" gear prices going up so much to ride the money train from our current events causing the preppers to be a very fast growing market.

I've looked into the beach carts before because we vacation in Delaware and I'm the one mostly hauling all the stuff. it would be good to serve as double duty for GOOD gear. I'll def wait for Awakes thoughts on a tent also. Although as far as the cart, if we had to take to the woods in a SHTF event, a lot of the terrain is hilly and rocky so would have to test to see how well it works.

Shawn, many of the hunting carts have taller tires for ground clearance and can manage some rough terrain.

yes they do, and thats a very important feature to have in a cart too. but having 4 tires is a plus sometimes.

this is visually like the one i have.

http://www.amazon.com/Tricam-FR110-2-400-Pound-Capacity-Utility/dp/B003OANHEY/ref=sr_1_2?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1327252534&sr=1-2

except mine folds down the middle and collapses. ive never seen one like mine.

i got it off craigslist for like $60 brand new. shawn, the beach carts are nice but very expensive compared to carts like the link above. even that one is very expensive in my book. homedepot, lowes, etc etc usually have them at around $60. if your lucky you will find the plastic version of the above cart. its milkcrate thickness and very durable.

I don't have a pic of my Kifaru paratarp with the parastove and annex set up, but here is it in it's basic set-up. The paratarp weighs 11oz without pegs or poles and packs about the size of a nalgene bottle. I can set it up in 10 minutes or less and it offers a fair amount of shelter. The front rope can be taken down after the rest is pegged if you want a fire out front too. I pack it on hunting trips for un-planned overnighters or storms. Even on dayhunts I like to have a minimal kit with me for a spike camp in case of emergencies. It sometimes gets used also if I kill late in the day or find game way back in. Better to stay the night and hunt the next day then to hoof it out after dark and back in by daylight.

Here is their website. https://kifaru.net/tarps_hootches.html

post-1747-1385149780755_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497808185_thumb.jpg

Catfish, Kifaru has some awesome gear.

yeah but look at the price. you can get a solid 3 season compact tent for what the Hooch costs,

and have very close to the same weight and compact size. what size/weight differences there is between the two is well worth the tent in my opinion.it might be good for those unexpected emergencies, but i wouldnt want to plan my bob with it.

I agree Rick with the cost. I'm on a budget (and with my discharge from the military this weekend, so no more tax write offs...lol) but they have some awesome gear. I like their rucksacks, knowing their stuff is American made is also a BIG plus in my eyes. I do not have the Kifaru gear personally, but some friends had it.

It is expensive, it I only wanted it for a BOB and didn't use it hunting and fishing I'd likely go with something cheaper and heavier, same goes for alot of my gear. The problem for me is that I did that with alot of my hunting gear early on and ended up replacing all of it over time and spending more than if I'd been patient the first time. It's like my Eberlestock pack, GB axe, and much of my other gear. I picked it up slowly over time, watching for deals on ebay and classifieds from forums and went for top quality. I buy top quality and take care of it and it will really last. I use the gear often enough in my hobbies to help justify it and if I ever need it I have the best. I've just been disappointed with low quality gear to many times to trust it unless the online reviews are excellent. Prepping on a budget sure became easier since everybody started online reviews so you can see how others got by with the same piece of gear. Much of the cheaper gear I bought early ended up in the trucks or boat, so it wasn't wasted altogether either I guess.

The biggest thing I like about the Kifaru shelters is that I can add the annex and wood stove and have dry heat in my shelter. If you've ever been wet in cold weather you know how valuable this can be. In cold damp weather it can take days to get clothing dry, but with the wood stove going it dries in a few hours. Also if you have wool or other types of winter gear that retain heat when wet, you will still pack alot of weight in water around until they dry. The wood stove also works in the larger tipi's. My hunting partner who is involved in our emergency planning and I plan to spit the cost of a 4 man tipi for planned backpack hunts and emergency use. This would let us use my current stove with a longer pipe for heat. Being able to dry gear is worth alot.

Edited by catfish hunter