Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

tents

ok guys we need to start talking heavy on different types of equipment.

i picked tents for the first topic. im asking folks to offer up some pointers and ideas for tents and some basic safety issues when tent camping. (like weather, falling tree branches, locations, intruders both man and beast etc etc)

you will need to decide first if you want a 4 season or three season tent. How far are you going to lug it? How many people? Gear in or out? the wise move is to carry a tent equipped to handle the worst conditions you expect to encounter. consider weather expectations, design features, ease of setup and of course the price. I am a fan of vented rain flys due to the humidity of the S.E.

As far as safety i always lay down on the ground i am thinking of pitching on. It gives be a better idea of the levelness and a birds eye view of the trees over head. never ever pitch close to a dying/dead tree. look for those branches that are hung up over head just waiting for a gust of wind.

When you buy a tent, learn to put in up and repack it. Then do it in the the dark several times. Chances are you may want to put up your tent without drawing attention with a flashlight.

Just a FEW things to think over.

Edited by awake

good points awake. which tent do you use?

My backpacking and GOOD tent is a 2 man REi half Dome. I own 2. About 10 years old. Never a leak, even in heavy 2 day down pours. Works well in 20 degree weather and ice. Two nice vestibules for gear storage.

The only tent I have ever used is one in which you have to put all the poles together and everything, kinda annoying and irritating. Are there ones out there that already have the frame all put together and just spring up? are they expensive, do they work well?

The only tent I have ever used is one in which you have to put all the poles together and everything, kinda annoying and irritating. Are there ones out there that already have the frame all put together and just spring up? are they expensive, do they work well?

Seen a couple. Very flimsy. Might not stand up to the rain or small breeze. Mine only has two poles. 10 year old kids and old farts like me can put in up in about three minutes.

i have 2 myself. i have a eureka timberline TL2. its ok. the other is bigger and i dont know the

namebrand. i think it might be a eureka too. its like a 4 or 6 man dome. wish i had a vestibule

for my TL2. im soon to make the foot print for both.

Eureka makes some good stuff. I went 2 man tent for solo purpose. i like my room and can put gear inside.

Vestibules are great but let me caution you here. cooking in the vestibule is very dangerous. A nylon tent will burn in a flash. forget even having a chance to throw water on it. So don't cook in the vestibule.

awake,

man i gotta ask ya, how do you deal with the ticks? i hate a damn tick.

i cant express the hate lol. do you go up to helen camping much? i love that area

so much.

I have not had much of a problem with ticks. I always put some DEET on my pant cuffs and on my back pack in just a couple of places. Never spray your tent with any insect repellent. Breaks down the nylon fibers and UV protection. Most of my camping in the low lands is done from September to April. In the warmer months i aim for 5000 ft locations. I gave up on Helen 20 years ago. Too many people. I like the Cohutta wilderness and the Benton Mac-Kaye Trails In GA. The AT is OK but worn out in many spots. My idea of camping involves what i carry on my back and the place i pick to camp for the night.

your right there are a lot of folks in helen these days. still a beautiful place though.

i like it up in wildcat creek area best. yeah i never treat my tent with anything. i gotta go find some quality sealer and water treatment this week. (suggestions) its time to water proof it.

I got lucky and found 2 US Marine dome tents made by Eureka on Craigslist for $60. Me and my 3 year old slept in one last summer. Afterwards I left it up for like a month with my sleeping bags in it. We had several rains and some pretty good strong storms and my sleeping bags never got wet. The only thing I am going to replace are the tent pegs, they are aluminum and most of them were bent. But these tents go for like $300 - $500. Probably because they are stamped US MARINE TENT. Nice tents but I don't think I would pay that much for one. $300 can buy alot of groceries.

Rick.

I get a fresh flee and tick dog collar ever year before I start to fish,and clip a small piece on my "Collar" of my shirt.

I lost my tent in the divorse 10 years ago.But Im looking now..

that eureka TL2 is a pretty cool tent. its been a standard for yrs by eureka. one of their top sellers too.

both found at REI im guessing? how often should i treat? are there visual signs to show you its time to treat

other than leaking? both tents ive had for yrs. im treating due to time more than anything else.

best test is a garden hose. Two people. use masking tape to mark leak spots from inside. pay attention to areas that guy outs are attached. anything that pulls on the seam will open the stitching causing a leak. The material on the fly will remain waterproof for a long time. Sun is worse enemy. It breaks down UV coating and then the water proofing. After ten years i think i have treated mine only once. As for tears or worn spots use gorilla tape on both sides of the tear apply a little seam seal.

I have not had much of a problem with ticks. I always put some DEET on my pant cuffs and on my back pack in just a couple of places. Never spray your tent with any insect repellent. Breaks down the nylon fibers and UV protection. Most of my camping in the low lands is done from September to April. In the warmer months i aim for 5000 ft locations. I gave up on Helen 20 years ago. Too many people. I like the Cohutta wilderness and the Benton Mac-Kaye Trails In GA. The AT is OK but worn out in many spots. My idea of camping involves what i carry on my back and the place i pick to camp for the night.

i prefer natural methods,garlic kills bad parasites,towhich will kill tics and other blood suckers. also crickets,because of the tapeworm they carry,and will die without.basil repales most flies.cedar chips will kill most rodents.a lot of animals and avoid mint,i think its because they cant smell near it,or it might be thats the only thing they smell.which removes there survival sence.i have made medicine bags,using ecentiual oils,that mosquitoes would come in to 8 to 10 feet than turn around and fly away.i've tracked deer and coyote to mint fields, never seen 1 yet enter the field.