Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MommyLiberty5013

Reading Amazon Review Dates...

13 posts in this topic

..and lots of people are buying potassium iodide in the past two months.

I went to the CDC website to learn a bit more. Don't get me wrong, my thyroid is valuable to me. But, KI only covers that one organ. Every other medicine available is by prescription (like Prussian Blue) only and seems to do a lot more work for the entire body - not just one organ.

So, is a purchase of KI worth it? I think a lot of people are lured into false security having this one medicine, which really only benefits one organ.

Please correct me if I am over looking something or not understanding why people go crazy for KI when things like Fukishima occurred. Right now prices are about $8 for a packet of 14, 130mg pills, which is totally reasonable for me to stock up and I likely will.

I made the move by purchasing a case of sea weed wrap a few months back from a Asian food store.

Sea weed wrap are used in sushi. 

The potassium iodide in sea weed is what I would trust more, than man made pills. iMHO.

Oh, sea weed wrap would likely be a lot cheaper to buy, than the pills.

The reason is to survive the initial effects of radiation as it collects in the thyroid and it has a lot of negative effects that can leave people disabled. 

I am guessing your thinking of Fukashima radiation and over time it will become more of a problem IMO. Our air is chewy filled with dust pollen etc. so ingesting radiation is dangerous but it s the concentration and type determines how deadly or how long before it acts in the organs to become a cancer or destroys an organ you cannot live without like your pancreas, or lung. It also does not help if your clothing has a hot spot and you can't change for days :rolleyes: that area may start to see some problems real quick.

There is no good way and no area will be evenly covered and some areas will have no radiation and others will be saturated like rain no telling how and where it will fall. Fukashima if it goes super critical it all depends on the jet stream as far as North Korea  I would worry more about Russia or a non state action through a Mooslim group.

i have some KI stocked up wouldn't hurt to have a couple weeks worth of it so you can get out of the radiation zone but i wouldn't buy bottles of the stuff....

you have a family though so you might want to buy 14 pills each...

1 hour ago, P210SIG said:

I made the move by purchasing a case of sea weed wrap a few months back from a Asian food store.

Sea weed wrap are used in sushi. 

The potassium iodide in sea weed is what I would trust more, than man made pills. iMHO.

Oh, sea weed wrap would likely be a lot cheaper to buy, than the pills.

So you just eat it? How much of it equals the dosage you need for effectiveness to occur?

Is it transportable in a BOB?

I read food isn't as reliable or complete of a source for potassium iodide as the tablets are. And it's important to distinguish between iodide and iodine. 

I'd be happy to be incorrect though.

1 minute ago, wally said:

i have some KI stocked up wouldn't hurt to have a couple weeks worth of it so you can get out of the radiation zone but i wouldn't buy bottles of the stuff....

you have a family though so you might want to buy 14 pills each...

Yes. That's my thought exactly. A dosage is for 10 days per person based on age and weight. Adults are supposed to have 130mg daily.

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

1 hour ago, MommyLiberty5013 said:

So you just eat it? How much of it equals the dosage you need for effectiveness to occur?

Is it transportable in a BOB?

I read food isn't as reliable or complete of a source for potassium iodide as the tablets are. And it's important to distinguish between iodide and iodine. 

I'd be happy to be incorrect though.

Yes you eat it as a snack.

They come prepackaged in a size of a deck of cards.

Each package is 4 grams or 0.14 ounces.

My calculations, one should get 3 dosages of 130mg in each package.

Cost about 35-40 cents each in Canada, depending on name brand.

I have about 6 packages in my BOB .

My wife has thyroid issues & used to take pills, but now eats the seaweed snacks which she says does a better job & less money to buy.

My research they have potassium iodine, & not iodide.

wally likes this

Another way of getting seaweed in your body is to make Japanese Minso soup, which contains bits of seaweed & tofu .

Its tasty to consume in a meal than just plain seaweed.

wally likes this

18 hours ago, P210SIG said:

Yes you eat it as a snack.

They come prepackaged in a size of a deck of cards.

Each package is 4 grams or 0.14 ounces.

My calculations, one should get 3 dosages of 130mg in each package.

Cost about 35-40 cents each in Canada, depending on name brand.

I have about 6 packages in my BOB .

My wife has thyroid issues & used to take pills, but now eats the seaweed snacks which she says does a better job & less money to buy.

My research they have potassium iodine, & not iodide.

Hi. I got really curious. So I read a bunch of scientific materials online. I know a lot of people use seaweed as a beneficial dietary supplement for heath, well-being, and also for the thyroid. What you said about your wife seeing success with it makes a lot of sense.

Iodine and Iodide are not the same - unfortunately their names are used interchangeably, but they are different - I didn't know this. I am not a science/chemistry person, but did learn that Iodine is a naturally occurring element - listed on the Periodic Table as I. That's why it is in seaweed.

Iodide is Iodine bonded with another element at the molecular level - in the case of this discussion - Potassium. It is a compound - symbol KI. So we get Potassium Iodide. I didn't see anything about potassium iodine - when I searched for it, all results defaulted to potassium iodide. Basically, potassium would just be a carrier for the iodine to get it into a solid form for quick and easy consumption.

Of all the sites I read, this seemed to be very comprehensive of them all in explaining the differences. http://pharmacistben.com/health/clearing-up-the-iodine-confusion/

Based on what I read, eating Iodine (via seaweed) would require a lot of substance for daily consumption to get to the high amount needed to counter-act radioactive iodine (I-131). Therefore, scientists combined it with potassium, which makes the iodine into a solid salt form (not the same as iodized table salt - and don't expect table salt to help in a nuclear event) and can be easily made into tablets/pills for emergency medical use.

With the seaweed packets for radioactive emergency, as you stated, each packet is 4g or 0.14 ounces. Is that of the overall packaged food weight or just the specific weight/amount for the iodine contained in the product? I think if those weights are for the iodine specifically, then you may be on the right track with the seaweed consumption!

Anyway, I think I'll stick to the pills...easy to pack.

wally likes this

47 minutes ago, P210SIG said:

The seaweed in the package is 4 grams or 0.14 ounces.

Package with the seaweed weight is 12.7 grams.

I understand. Then, how much of the 4 grams or 0.14 ounces of seaweed is iodine? Seaweed contains other materials besides iodine making up the amount of 4 grams/0.14 ounces.

"Like most land vegetables, seaweed contains vitamins A (beta carotene) and C. It is also rich in potassium, iron, calcium, iodine and magnesium, which are minerals concentrated in seawater. Seaweed is also one of the few vegetable sources of vitamin B-12."

For radioactive purposes, we're only interested in the iodine, so can that amount be separated from the 4 grams/0.14 ounces? Specifically, how much of the 4 grams/0.14 ounces is iodine?

I am wondering if you require far more seaweed to get to the iodine level you would need for effective emergency supply for radioactive events. Sounds like the 4 grams/0.14 ounces is an overall weight accounting for all the vitamins and minerals in seaweed and not solely the iodine.

But, you've got the packaging so maybe there is a specific measurement for iodine on it.

wally likes this