Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

Knife build --why not

10 posts in this topic

I had bought a couple of Morakniv #3 carbon steel 5.9 inch  blades .

This one is going to be a fun project, my intension is to make the handle from a extruded rod like a screwdriver handle and a cap nut skull crusher.  Nothing fancy and the sheath made from Kydex of a companion color to the rod I will have to do a bit of turning of the rod to make a guard.

Because of knife laws I have to embed the blade .5 inches into the rod so it will measure 5.5 inches -.

I do have a real problem with ridiculous laws there are no end to the objects that people have murdered others with but the judicial system hardheadedly sticks by contrived laws that NEVER alter the criminals behavior like words on paper have some magical properties -- well only for the living criminal if we can catch prove and convict even then they are usually unrepentant just pissed that they got caught and the victim is still dead or maimed / disfigured for life.   This is proof that the judicial system is not for the victim it took many years for a victims rights advocacy to become part of our system and still we have problem with the victims getting justice.

On to the Build this seems straight forward I will order my extruded rod 1 1/2 nch  in diameter depends on the shape as I said I will need to turn it and shape it I think I will do that on my drill press and use files.

Acraglass is one of the best bedding bonding agents so I will use that to bond the tang in the rod. and I need to use a die to make the threads for the cap nut I have an assortment of those.

Kydex is great for forming as long as you have a teflon plate and some forming tools like a metal rod tapered to open and I use different pliers like needle nose to hold roll and form the pattern needs to be just like a leather sheath all the belt loop and retaining detents need to be tested I use cardboard and glue to build and test then place it on the Kydex and trace my pattern to it with a marker cutting this is a chore it is very hard so you may have to notch it and cut it in sections or nibble with drill bits dikes and shears I do not like to heat it too many times it has a negative effect on the polymer and it had a surface pattern that gets marred if you finagle with it too much.

I use copper rivets to seal the edge belt clips I leave open to slip over the belt a jag in the end keeps it from sliding or pulled off I leave a bit for a tab to push to pull it off my belt depends on the design but it can be worn inside or out there are many examples on the net just copy the design part that you want.

I think I will have a slot for a pen style diamond steel sharpener and a ferro rod as this blade is carbon steel it will work fine with a ferro rod.

I have plenty of knives but now and again I just want a inside project the other blade I will do a combo of antler and leather washers I saw some poly faux tortoise shell and amber I think that would look good as spacer material  on black bull hide washers between I also have some cape buffalo born hell if I dont like it I can always keep the stuff for another build of some sort--maybe a screwdriver  B)

wally likes this

OK I decided today to quit procrastinating on this build so I had some Mahogany and some cape buffalo horn cut tapered and drilled the handle then section it to set in buffalo horn got it glued waiting for it to soft set so I can stick it in the vice once it is dry -- tomorrow I will take it out and redrill the bore as glue will have backfilled a bit and I want a good bore to hold the epoxy 

blade detail.jpg

Well I don't get it this tells me I only allowed 1 upload of X size is that per day year ?????

The piece in the background is cape buffalo horn I was toying with the idea of deer antler but I can still do that later as all I have to do is cut again and insert / glue in the horn. 

I decided to go the wood and horn as my poly handle material is MIA on the road somewhere I have other blades both are  Hubertus good German steel about 3.5 inch blades one a clip point the other a drop point   small but a good project knives I think I will do one stacked leather with deer horn and the other poly rod f and when I get the stuff.

thanks a bit different the wood and cape buffalo was more a dress knife the screwdriver handle is much more durable the length is good enough for filleting fish and being carbon steel it sharpens easy and holds an edge.