Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
P210SIG

Price / sticker shock at the grocery store.

7 posts in this topic

So today I went to the grocery store to buy a box of ice cream bars that I enjoy, even in the middle of winter.

The regular price is $3.49 per box of 8 bars plus another 13% sales tax.

I was totally shocked to see a price increase, of $5.49 for the same product.

That's $2 more than what it used to be.

Well I decided to not buy it.

To me it's either inflation kicking in or price gouging.

So let's here it folks, what are the food prices in your neck of the woods.

never mind food....my mothers prescriptions keep doubling so that she can't even afford to live her bill now is about 800$ per month for meds

thats up from 200-300 per month just a year and a half ago...

were having to try and go through a canadien pharmacy near us marksmarinepharmacy.ca to see if we can get it back down to 300 or so...

never mind food....my mothers prescriptions keep doubling so that she can't even afford to live her bill now is about 800$ per month for meds

thats up from 200-300 per month just a year and a half ago...

were having to try and go through a canadien pharmacy near us marksmarinepharmacy.ca to see if we can get it back down to 300 or so...

You can thank Obama health care for that price increase.

It's a Obummer health deal.

Hopefully Trump will fix the health care act, for your mother.

wally likes this

This is a loss leader marketing scheme where a company realizes it can loose on certain items knowing they can make it back on other staple items.

Canned goods are one where X amount for a dollar you think you saved but you bought 20 cans saving 20 cents each so thats 4 dollars then you buy the popular 9 roll instead of the 20 or 24 roll case and actually pay more for it by 4 dollars so the store actually made more from selling cheaper canned goods by drawing in more shoppers with targeted adds..  I shop 2 or 3 places off the sales alone I have enough on hand where I am not forced to buy until a sale presents itself.  last month dollar stores sold cans of Wolf brand chili for a buck a can I bought a dozen and a few other special priced items but nothing more once you do you give back the savings,  I know people that coupon shop but walmart matches prices if you take the add in with you.

I buy meat on sale and notice meat not on special is higher so the ribs are cheap but the brisket is higher per pound  and the sausage as here when we Bar-B-Q it's all of the above cut chicken steaks pork chops sausage and brisket cooked smoked with  hard wood  oak, or pecan hickory mesquite etc. I freeze whats left and have plenty for the month on one cook out.  next meals I can play with the sides and make potato salad or pea salad baked sweet pork and beans  or pinto beans matched with what meat I decide the brisket is sliced when cool split into a few zip lock bags ans easily keeps for a few months I never soil my pit with hot dogs or hamburgers   :angry: good quality link sausage is about as low as it goes. after all you don't season a cast iron pan by frying baloney in it,  USE PORK FAT BABY !!!! 

Here is my pit  load out (my pit is remote fire box on one end) a brisket seasoned with Cajun seasoning wrapped sealed in foil put on first a whole cut up chicken next about 2 hours later then 45 minutes pork chops last is link sausage by 4 hours everything is done I open the foil and let the brisket smoke for an hour or so,  important is the brisket is fat side down.  by 3 hours the pinto beans are about done put on the corn bread when you put on the link sausage and they are done about the same time.

Reason I mention this is I may have to buy it in stages but I want the brisket and chicken fresh as it's a Bit@h to wait on a brisket to thaw and chicken can be found on sale most any time. and I love a good steak like sirloin slow cooked on the grill. this is not TEOTWAKI as the whole county knows your cooking but it is great in the summer all your main course is cooked already all you have to make is the sides, thaw and warm the main course so you do not have to heat up the house cooking.

Buying and cooking in certain ways is a study in economy itself  I have plenty of free oak and mesquite I do the same with Lasagna a 9X13 pan and freeze 3/4 in individual bags  all I have to make is garlic bread and a salad when I want a piece. 

I have had to adjust my buying and shop 3 or 4 places and sales to save enough to make it worth while I can hit 3 stores in a couple of hours I have a ice chest  in my vehicle  so in summer I can keep meat cool and frozen items cold.

What really scares me is a 60 thousand dollar truck my first 2 bedroom home was 12 thousand less than a half  mile from a lake boat ramp,

credit has caused inflation to go to extremes school loans vehicles and houses are twice as high as they allow for too many years of payments it is now common to have 6 to 7 year loans BUT smaller payments from longer terms did not decrease lenders’ credit risk a 30 year fixed is INSANE 15 is better but a 10 is better yet everyone want their dream home there is no such thing as every 5 to 7 years most people remodel a portion to whole home on a refi or second mortgage that is even more crazy as there is no way you will ever own your home and when you try to plan your retirement it is wrapped up in your debt so now I see people that could have retired at 55 and started a second job for a second retirement to have a decent income at 62 now people are working into their 70's or until they loose it all from a major hospital stay and extended recuperation.

People are no longer cognizant of time and common sense is out the window if your not debt free by 50 your placing yourself in a precarious situation as from 50 on is a time when your health starts to decline and that is not the narrative that any business model want to promote as it is the older that have the credit and they want you to max out until they have sucked the marrow from your bones.

every damn commercial People are living longer 80 year olds are starting families be 60 feel 40 sleep with 20 year olds LMAO if it were not reality it would be a punch line... People are really really stupid numerous investment companies market that you can live like a millionaire if you plan --- but for how long ? and under what circumstance will it all come unraveled  we have had a market crash every 7 to 10 years and predictions are we are looking down the barrel of a super crash soon ( I pray not ) but a spike in inflation market crash and interest rates in the 20% region as well as revaluation of money would be a depression that wold last a decade or more.

Keep your powder dry or pay off your core debt as in vehicle home and keep a paid off vehicle instead of remodeling buy a whole or universal life policy at 20 that pays for itself after 20 years  so when your 40 you have a line of credit from it. and you want a good insurance / health policy beyond what you get from work as long as your healthy its great once your so ill you cannot work and have no income what then ? cancer ahd heart disease are still the number one killers the main issue with getting old is medication costs and on that note Wally many pharmaceutical companies have a income based scale to help with medications look them up online at the drug companies web sites most you print the form and have the doctor fill out part and you fill out your part and send it in and in a short time they send you scripts to the doctor or coupons etc etc and you can get it for a few years at a fixed price and then there is taking a different but equally effective generic or tried and true version of an older less costly drug that has known effectiveness and less side effects IMHO.

insurance companies are so concerned that you might die with a few pills left over that now a 30 day supply is all some offer and the burden of gas time and waiting in line is on you as well as keeping track of refills and scheduling doctors visits to renew along with primary care for ongoing problems should we have a economic crisis or a local natural disaster and the point of the last medication a person has then they are compromised and the insurance company has to pay through the nose for their calculated and insensitive risk of you life and then they want to complain that your costing too much LOL I have plenty of friends that deal with this all the time changing rules copays limits deductibles increasing this that and the other hell if a person does not get a new card or letter at least once a month and a call it its like your a damn unpaid employee then hospitals can't bill properly so you get bills some have already been paid but they double bill as they have no idea or trying to pad the account - ever get a refund from a doctor or insurance company for overpayment ?  

When we have another housing bubble and a credit meltdown and that may be real soon a lot of these cheap interest rates and long credit loans will be crunch time and most people with less than stellar credit will get no loans and some banks etc have a clause in the contract where debt is payable on demand in specific circumstances like a financial crash or instability of the firms credit / holdings. that is the nuclear option in finance world it has not happened since 1929 but it can again.  A recent conversation with a person I mentioned this and the reply was from ignorance that so many loan failures would take years to expell  all the home owners and collect the vehicles apparently

they forgot that homes and vehicles require insurance and home have to have utilities connected and in todays computerized world and vultures independent companies would be confiscating like a tidal wave some companies now snag your vehicle if you miss a payment by days and more people need vehicle loans and buy from independent used car dealers as their credit wont allow for any other way.

Reverse mortgages because the cost of living has outpaced the elderlies income in time that will increase the cost of a new mortgage for a new buyer as it is who owns the supply and what they want for the cost and demand only means it a bidders market. in some areas home buying is a blind / silent auction and who can say of the bid is real or contrived are you being scammed is the agent in league with a consortium or investors ? no matter what the economic situation certain neighborhoods and areas will still bring high prices even in the depression people watched as media and hollyweird types paid amounts for estates and vehicles the rest could only dream about and while we the people died in open ward mercy hospitals the wealthy went to spas and had private rooms it can happen again !

wally likes this

The medications for my wife's epilepsy have gone retarded - they used to be $48 for a three month's supply three years ago. We just picked up the latest refill, $182. Freaking ridiculous.

Last night I stopped to buy stuff to make three pizzas at home (we had a hell of a snowstorm going), a six pack of frosty adult beverages, some seltzer water, dishwasher detergent, and two cans of baked beans for the pantry (I always buy at least two cans of some sort of food when I go to the grocery store to build up the preps) and a box of cookie mix - 96 dollars. I was bullshit.

wally likes this

All this is gouging the consumer the same medication sold in India costs 10% of what we pay and thats the model each country pays what it can afford and American is RICH or at least they know they can milk us to the brink of death.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/08/22/two-senators-urge-scrutiny-epipen-price-boost/89129620/

I personally think this is blackmail and extortionist plot to steal millions this is because the last four azzholes we has as president did not keep their eye on the ball and let all of our pharma companies leave overseas and now we are screwed they all had clout with all their money and lobbyist and sold us out the Clintons are the real power in that arena LMAO and Americans were all in for electing her how stupid can people get ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQNjz1yQCY

All of them watched her dance and forgot the real show was behind the screen like a cobra weaving and mesmerizing now she is still in control of certain aspects of American life made inroads and has knowledge of the people that are corrupt and corruptible and slithers in and out and just when you think they are not around they are right behind you as that is where they like to attack from IMHO.

wally likes this