Sign in to follow this  
SinoCentric

Request for Snow hiking boot review.

Thanks in advance.

I have limited snow knowledge and one critical area where I have no real idea is in foot ware. I know the requirements: Waterproof- yet breathable. Thermally insulated. Good, deep gripping sole surfaces. Weight to me is the least critical, heavy means more energy requirements but not warm enough means far more energy required. One additional spec is easily adjustable by gloved hands.

When it comes to feet, imo good enough aint good enough, I want the best. Old back injury and poor circulation mean I can ill afford to be under prepared here.

I looked through the hiking boots thread but it's not quite specific enough, so I started up this one. What are the thoughts on others as to which brands/ types of boots are the best?

I only have experience with the Goretex hunting boots. I have a pair of Rockys that are rated to -30F and they are "too" warm for me. I use them when sitting on the ice fishing and then don't tie them so the heat can escape. They also issued the Goretex boots in the Army, but I wear the non insulated year round. I wish I could help you more.

No, I mean boots that don't make me feel like I've no toes once the temp drops. I'm not originally from a cold winter area so I find that my feet feel super chilly. Additionally, once the feet are chilled it aggravates an existing back injury and puts a brown one on my mood. I gotta get better foot ware. I normally wear some Merrel Chameleons which are great right up to about now, once the temps drop to the point of snowing that's when I start feeling the frost.

I'm probably hot the best to ask about this because I don't tend to like actual winter boots, mainly because I feel like I cant run or manuever well in them, thats why I tend to wear work type boots or shoes with wool socks. But if you go to an outdoor store or wally world you should be able to find some reasonably priced boots with good liners in them kinda like hunting boots.

Thanks anyway Tinder.

Good reviews are always hard to find.Plenty of sell side advice but few take the time to review unless they hated something or are fan's of something, leading to crappy reviews.

Another consideration for me is that I have to be able to purchase from within China. Capital controls prevent the average shmo from buying in the international market. That being said, most things are available here if one knows where to look and how to ask. I've spent the better part of a week surfing the reviews/ pitches and have finally made a purchase. After the full run of Winter I'll post a review.

My go to is either hunting boots is there is light snow or just a day trip or my kamik snow boots for more the 4 inches or over night trips. http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Kamik_Mens_Greenbay_4_Snow_Boots_p/nk0199.htm the insulation is separate from the shoe so its easy to dry at the end of the day. The Velcro strap works good enough for work with gloves and frozen fingers but I might loose my boot is I was in deep mud. Warm socks are probably just as important as good boots and 20 times cheaper.

Edited by Autonomous
insolation