Sign in to follow this  
femvet59

Dr. Bones: Poisonous spiders

Recommended Posts

One of my neighbours was bitten by a brown recluse spider and was dead within a few hours. We also have the Black widow all over the place.

Besides wearing protective clothing, what can we do if we do get bitten?

Would appreciate your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First sorry to hear about your neighbor.

I use a tobacco poultice to draw out the poison. I was stung by one of the little tan scorpions in Iraq and used a "skoal" poultice as my only treatment. I was definitely under the weather for a couple weeks, but I still performed missions, just slept if wasn't working.

Burdock is also supposed to be a natural antedote for most poisons. I read about its use in the "Little herb Encyclopedia" and "Native Plants, Native Healing". I highly recommend the herbs, some leaves work like as "quik clot" and will cause clotting very fast without the "chemical burn". Even corn starch can be used to help stop bleeding and corn syrup/sugar will kill all bacteria. It may not be healthy for internal consumption (regardless of fda approval in the 1970s) but if it will stem blood flow and work to keep infection out, might have a benefit afterall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Tobacco????? How and why does it work?? I would have NEVER thought of something like that! And I don't smoke or spit! OK, does that mean I need to get a tin of Copenhagen Green???

 

On another note, am very glad you made it back to the world. Hope your OK.

 

Yesterday I ran into another Iraq vet at Taco Bell, had a nice chat. Funny how Vet's always recognise each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Femvet, tobacco is a great drawing agent, been used for a long time. I suggest having a tin of chewing tobacco, tastes better than cigarette tobacco. You will have to chew it (might be able to just soak it) and place it on the sting/bite area. I've used it with bee stings, spider bites and scorpion sting. On bee stings, if applied immediately, you can almost watch the swelling go down.

Thank you for the welcome home and Vets have to recognize each other, we are our only "official" support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep ive used it on bee stings and reg is right, you really can watch the sting go down. i did. i freaked out when i saw it. i was in the hospitol parkinglot at the time too. a ER nurse told me to try that before i paid over a grand for them to give me a shot. i did and it worked. thank you nurse lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Femvet,

 

Consider using the Sawyer complete bite and sting kit, which has an extractor that helps draw out the venom and may decrease the effects. It is useful for snake bites, also. Cortisone is used to decrease inflammation, as well as antivenin, but these would be hard to find in a collapse. Some people experience allergic reactions to some of these bites, so having an Epi-pen may also be useful.

 

Dr. Bones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First sorry to hear about your neighbor.

I use a tobacco poultice to draw out the poison. I was stung by one of the little tan scorpions in Iraq and used a "skoal" poultice as my only treatment. I was definitely under the weather for a couple weeks, but I still performed missions, just slept if wasn't working.

Burdock is also supposed to be a natural antedote for most poisons. I read about its use in the "Little herb Encyclopedia" and "Native Plants, Native Healing". I highly recommend the herbs, some leaves work like as "quik clot" and will cause clotting very fast without the "chemical burn". Even corn starch can be used to help stop bleeding and corn syrup/sugar will kill all bacteria. It may not be healthy for internal consumption (regardless of fda approval in the 1970s) but if it will stem blood flow and work to keep infection out, might have a benefit afterall.

 

that's right reg, tobacco works great! i've never used skoal though, i always used chewing tobacco. my dad taught me this trick. we were out cutting firewood and i cut my thumb open down to the bone! without missing a beat,dad took out his chew,slapped it on the cut and wrapped his handkerchief around it. the cut never got infected and it stopped most of the bleeding! i carry two pouches of chewing tobacco in each of my bobs and one in my med. kit. i carried it in my medic bag in the service also. trust me folks, it does draw out the poisons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Femvet,

 

Consider using the Sawyer complete bite and sting kit, which has an extractor that helps draw out the venom and may decrease the effects. It is useful for snake bites, also. Cortisone is used to decrease inflammation, as well as antivenin, but these would be hard to find in a collapse. Some people experience allergic reactions to some of these bites, so having an Epi-pen may also be useful.

 

Dr. Bones

 

good info I have a kit draw the venom and I pack it with salt or tobacco to draw out the poison and keep from infection I also have an

couple of epi-pens and I have primeatene it is epinephrine but if it is all you can get or have it is better than nothing.

this is not professional information I am not a doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7th, glad it worked for your thumb. I was taught by my dad as well, only he was a smoker so I had to chew a cigarette.... YUCK. I always have a "puck" on me, so Grizzly is what gets used now. I've used plug, but that was because a friend had some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7th, glad it worked for your thumb. I was taught by my dad as well, only he was a smoker so I had to chew a cigarette.... YUCK. I always have a "puck" on me, so Grizzly is what gets used now. I've used plug, but that was because a friend had some.

 

hey reg, i've tried the cigarette method once myself! way too hard core for me!!! LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kits are probably best. I've used the cigarette filter back when I smoked. You could get a hornet sting and get instant relief. It sucks the poison right out.

We have brown recluse and black widows here too. Sorry about your neighbor. I just read about them and avoid those locations as well as spray around my home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this