Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onetime

lots more cattle than deer,

3 posts in this topic

lots more horses than moose, too. :-) lots more chickens and domestic turkeys, and waterfowl than wild ones, most likely, too. Walking around during daylight hours, if shtf, will get you shot, just for the hell of it by some, as a precaution by others. Small game aint worth the risk. At best, it's something to trap/snare, and best service your lines at night, showing no light. A passive IR monocular is sub $200,  shows you animals and people. and a kid's airsoft NVD goggle is about $100, and will suffice to show you where you are walking. Luminous sights for the AR run about $100

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-night-sight-sets-for-ar15-m16-cp25.html?_iv_code=TJ-AP-ColtCP25-CP25O&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzZHEBRD0ivi9_pDzgYMBEiQAtvxt-FiwovDtJv2Wmgm96KEIm_SVDBU4zWlFSTN_UbAJCb4aApOk8P8HAQ

it's dark half of the time, and if you can't see or aim, you're helpless.

Lucienuh and Robertskemo like this

IR can give your position away. LOL

I have played with NV gear, that work to about 200 yards with out the need of IR light.

Don't ask what type of make & model as I'm not telling.

I've played hide & seek with my buddies using NV gear, & I've caught them every time when they use their IR turned on.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

Large game taken for less than a dozen people you will have a LOT OF WORK trimming cutting smoking  etc

much of the organs need to be eaten first as they spoil first like brains tongue  liver & lungs spleen pancreas (sweetbreads) stomach or tripe process the intestines to make sausage casings bones for calcium eat the marrow etc etc.

Many animals will be mostly wasted because city folk are not educated in how to process animals properly and without waste.

some things to have are salt but you need a lot to make a brine also to store dried casings in and lye to wash and treat your casings pepper white or black red flake etc. this is to prevent flies from laying on your meat  if you have used hard wood the ashes can be used to bury meat or sausages in or you can bury in salt.

Of course if your starving you do the best you can but smoking meat means your stuck for a day or so and smoke sent carries so salt dried strips works.

if I were going to cache something valuable it would be salt it does not go bad but need to be kept dry but even if it clumps it can be easily crushed back to granulated.  Salt need to be pure not iodized you can buy it for water treatment from Wally world 40 to 50 pound sacks.

one sack fits in a 5 gallon bucket it is hygroscopic it attracts water or humidity so a good tight fitting lid.

wally and P210SIG like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recent Topics

• Books and wood carving here.....and sutureing,.. to go with the wood carving.
    • We are dealing with a narcissistic blackmailer like a robber in a bank with a room full of hostages and that is the scenario we have a madman with nukes threatening the whole world, if his demands are not met he may well sell weapons to our enemies, to bolster their position. When there is a madman in the room full of hostages with a gun you take him out. In this case we cannot afford for any of his military elite to survive him because if they have orders to launch or attack Seoul a city of millions he or surviving hierarchy will lash out. The strike has to be unseen and lay waste to Pyongyang timed with strikes to wipe out the military ability to use rockets and artillery I am just as sure they have Exocet m38 type missiles as well as many weapons we have turned from because of world opinion, that places us at a small disadvantage in close combat or naval surface warfare. It is a well known eastern tactic to get in so close so that their enemy cannot use any extraordinary weapons without killing themselves. This is why a conventional war with North Korea as it would kill millions in Seoul our troops and destroy many of our vessels and aircraft that threat alone make consider the nuclear option is the only course or we risk millions of innocent civilians and 35 thousand of our own troops as well as many thousands of sailors and air crews.  nuclear weapons are mass destruction indiscriminate and have long lasting implications if there is any destruction and indiscriminate killing I want it to be on them not us or South Koreans. Those that think we could merge the two are misunderstanding that like the old Japanese soldiers of World War 11 they were so indoctrinated they thought we were going to cannibalize rape and turn them all into salves as well as their leader was "god" most are just as institutionalized as a life sentenced criminal.  I sure don't like this but unless we are willing to fight the Korean War all over again with 10 to  100 times more losses against a country that is but an attack dog  of China that has gone off it's leash. China has created a Frankenstein and the monster may turn on them and that is what China fears just as much as a war that pushes millions of refugees over their borders. India and China have sent troops to repel refugees ------- Whhaaatt no open borders whats the world coming to.
    • Really great post and questions. I'm a woman and I'll ponder this a bit more before responding. (No offense taken at all BTW).
    • yea it's been a while glad your back.
    • If it were not for spell check it would look like the ramblings of Ted Kaczynski, bad enough my my lack of punctuation and tendency of dropping letters from my ring and pinky fingers it would take the investigators of the dead sea scrolls to decipher the ramblings IMO. Or did you mean Chicago typewriter ? I have proof read my stuff and found I drooped a paragraph of essential information primary to the topic.