Sign in to follow this  
rayz

1st time canning....

well its on the stove,,14 pints of stew about 30 odd minutes left--pressure gauge rattling 3-5 times a minute,, like they said it would,, just hope it seals,, was a little unsure of the mechanics of the operation , time and practice will improve that..plan on trying 1st jar in 30 days another in 6 months then a year ....

well all the cans seem to have sealed :) only time will tell...gotta get more jars, I'm addicted now... if it works out I'll have put away 21 pints of stew..cost about 30 bucks-not including jars and such I'm afraid i didn't keep exact track of what i spent but it was fun and very cool to see them lining my shelf :)

a lot from Ask Jackie Clay,(thanks snake!) and the Ball Blue Book guide to Preserving, and the instructions with my pressure canner. reading my orig post i must clarify the jars were processed at 10lbs for 1hr 15min :eek:

Edited by rayz

well all the cans seem to have sealed :) only time will tell...gotta get more jars, I'm addicted now... if it works out I'll have put away 21 pints of stew..cost about 30 bucks-not including jars and such I'm afraid i didn't keep exact track of what i spent but it was fun and very cool to see them lining my shelf :)

Congratulations, Rayz! You did better than we did the first time out. Yeah, it is a hoot and a great family thing. It's kind of cool to open something you've canned and when folks say things like, 'this is good, where'd you get it?' answer with 'I canned it myself!'

Well done, sir.

Update!!! opened 1 pint stew been in my cupboard since 12-27 seal was tight needed to pry it off w a knife, heated on stove thickened w a little flour ... its great! just canned 7 qts of potatoes and 7 qts of carrots on stove now...i cant stop!!.. somebody help me!!!! ps stew taste amazing!!!

ok the potatoes dont look so hot... i think i cut them too small plus it said to boil them ten minutes prior to canning, they look kinda like mashed tatos,,, i'll still use em just in a different way i suppose...

Update!!! opened 1 pint stew been in my cupboard since 12-27 seal was tight needed to pry it off w a knife, heated on stove thickened w a little flour ... its great! just canned 7 qts of potatoes and 7 qts of carrots on stove now...i cant stop!!.. somebody help me!!!! ps stew taste amazing!!!

come on ray we need canning 101 and pics as ya go. what stuff are ya using, where did ya get it? that kind of thing too. we need walk throughs bro. and if there's any of that stew left..........:P

Sounds like the "canning bug" took a big ole bite out of you. Good for you! My first attempt was a disaster. I made a huge pot of chili to put into quart jars. Unfortunately I filled them too high - not leaving enough head room. The contents expanded into the canner and I had oily jars, water, and canner to clean up. Only 1 of the eight jars sealed properly. The others had to go into the refrigerator to eat in the next few weeks. We got really tired of chili. Trust me, I've never overfilled since them. It was a messy lesson but it stuck.

I've done peach preserves and strawberry jelly since then. I'm anxious to get my spring vegetables in so I can start canning again. Thanks for your sharing.

Excelent..Keep the left over juice from your juices,I had 12 quarts of peach juice and only used half to thicken it and put up on shelf.I used it to add to my pies I made for Christmas,peach juice and apples are a great combination..JMHO..

found out about the potatoes-mistakes;1) I used some spuds that were a couple weeks under the cupboard..can cause them to be cloudy- due to excess starch also tend not to hold shape,,2) upon review found I totally over cooked them- I did not add them to boiling water..i brought them and the water to boil together, 3) my jars were not enough when I filled them..these were all human error...I opened a jar after a week and it had a tremendous seal,,tho the potatoes were semi-mush they still tasted good and used as "lumpy" mashed potatoes..I like "lumpy" so its all good..

update!:) tonites dinner was a random jar of the first stew I made on dec 27 2011 and has been on a shelf then 2 months in storage then moved 75 miles put back on shelf since april of last year, happy to report it is delicious! canning your own food ROCKS!

So glad your stew was not only delicious but that your canned goods are all holding up so well! Hope this means you'll keep on canning.

Those lumpy potatoes? I have a few ideas for them based on a recipe I saw on Pinterest. In that recipe, you boil potatoes and roughly smash them, then coat with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and bake on a cookie sheet - so you end up with a sort of rustic garlic potato latka. Why couldn't you just use your potatoes that way? Season 'em up with your favorite flavors, then bake until golden. Yum! You could also toss with a little bit of sauteed onions and crumbled bacon for a really delicious sort of hash. They'd also be good in a potato salad or mixed with a vinaigrette (which is more like German potato salad) or even a bit of fresh dill.