Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wally

interesting community

7 posts in this topic

Reminds me of something between the movies the "Burbs" and the "Time Machine's"  Eloi underground cannibals hovel.

Anyone that lives in that zone knows the frost line is between 4 to 6 foot deep so incoming water lines have to be deeper.

and these shelters would be like a cold freezer or fridge in the winter so a geothermal heating & cooling system, and no way would I trust electrical it would have to be a mechanical pump and when it gets that could you cannot count on that at all.

Solar would need to have a wind generator backup as the state gets 200 to 226 days of sunshine so 165 to 138 days of OH SH*T

It would take 40,000 BTU to heat the smallest unit,   thats a lot of cow chips per day and I did not see any cows and in 6 foot of snow that would be one hell of an easter egg hunt.

1 lb dung = 7,500 BTU NOW THAT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF SH*T  maybe your could borrow a cup from your neighbors --- fact is it is NOT feasible.

These numbers relate to growing gardening periods  snowfall is 20 to 44 inches so if your short your going to need a periscope !

Work in the winter ? where to shelter your animals ? where's the nearest town Where is the nearest tree ? 

Rainfall is 16 to 27 inches and I noticed no trees so where is all that heat people need going to come from ? and water to circulate

Blah blah blah --- I don't think so and if we have an EMP or some other anomaly that turns anything that runs on electricity to junk UH-OH 

Crunching the numbers it had to be a government facility it was loosing money on the drafting board........

wally likes this

it makes ZERO sense to set up anyplace where it gets/stays really cold or has lots of snow.. It makes very little sense to set up where it's hot, swampy, desert or barren mountains, either. A year after shtf, so many will be DEAD that you'll be free to travel as you wish. So set up someplace where moving  less than 50 miles (ie, easy bicycle ride in one day)  changes your elevation by 5000 ft and your temps by 40F. You'll be glad that you did so!

So go where everyone else is going ?  I thrive in inhospitable places and it keeps the vacationers OUT.

Without refrigeration the swamp is the perfect place for tons of food on the hoof both salt and fresh water fish fowl and beaucoup  mammals.

above the tree line there are fewer food critters or so large as you would have to process and make lots of smoke to keep it

Eskimos exist in cold Indians lived in the desert it was not because they were stupid but chose a life of isolation /ism to defend their families and bloodline from other groups and tribes either by a wall of snow high ground or inhospitable climate.

Your ONE size fits all has never worked the world is a HUGE PLACE not the place you envision as utopia.

One rifle fits all or one caliber fits all and 50 miles in a day UPHILL OR DOWNHILL what age group what about people with disabilities or children pregnant women what about animals to start a homestead like chickens goats rabbits wild rabbits do not do well in captivity !

planting beds for nomadic people plant now eat later ?  Weather has not been our friend Colorado and other states have had massive wildfires  try to escape with all your gear in a freak storm flood hail drought people mastered their region in order to survive. moving injects different conditions more wind rain more or less water from one side of any mountain range to the other can be a world of difference.

at altitude freak storms can drop the temps to life threatening levels and without antibiotics a simple cold / chill can turn into pneumonia.

mountain regions day temps are in the 60's 70's at night can be below freezing. mountains generally mens large carnivores and less resources than a SWAMP. where your surrounded by water in the mountains water may or may not be easy to find so foreknowledge would be helpful.

Making general statements without informing readers of the negatives is irresponsible.  rearing animals carpentry gardening reloading  welding mastering firearms hunting tracking are SKILLS that cannot be taught in days or weeks. and are the only hope for a future.and future generations IMHO.

MommyLiberty5013 and wally like this

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, juzcallmesnake said:

So go where everyone else is going ?  I thrive in inhospitable places and it keeps the vacationers OUT.

Without refrigeration the swamp is the perfect place for tons of food on the hoof both salt and fresh water fish fowl and beaucoup  mammals.

above the tree line there are fewer food critters or so large as you would have to process and make lots of smoke to keep it

Eskimos exist in cold Indians lived in the desert it was not because they were stupid but chose a life of isolation /ism to defend their families and bloodline from other groups and tribes either by a wall of snow high ground or inhospitable climate.

Your ONE size fits all has never worked the world is a HUGE PLACE not the place you envision as utopia.

One rifle fits all or one caliber fits all and 50 miles in a day UPHILL OR DOWNHILL what age group what about people with disabilities or children pregnant women what about animals to start a homestead like chickens goats rabbits wild rabbits do not do well in captivity !

planting beds for nomadic people plant now eat later ?  Weather has not been our friend Colorado and other states have had massive wildfires  try to escape with all your gear in a freak storm flood hail drought people mastered their region in order to survive. moving injects different conditions more wind rain more or less water from one side of any mountain range to the other can be a world of difference.

at altitude freak storms can drop the temps to life threatening levels and without antibiotics a simple cold / chill can turn into pneumonia.

mountain regions day temps are in the 60's 70's at night can be below freezing. mountains generally mens large carnivores and less resources than a SWAMP. where your surrounded by water in the mountains water may or may not be easy to find so foreknowledge would be helpful.

Making general statements without informing readers of the negatives is irresponsible.  rearing animals carpentry gardening reloading  welding mastering firearms hunting tracking are SKILLS that cannot be taught in days or weeks. and are the only hope for a future.and future generations IMHO.

Correct. I think the best decision on where to locate is based on available water supply. Without it, no matter where you are - you're stuck up. I also don't think riding 50 miles is feasible. Why not just invest in rural land and set-up there now, building a home and a life and doing all the prepping from that point? Maybe storing some secret caches away from the home in case of a BO. But, if you live rural to begin with (thankfully, like we do now), the likelihood of needing to BO decreases a lot, which means we can focus our attention on the physical surroundings nearby...learning the land, etc..

P210SIG and juzcallmesnake like this