Sign in to follow this  
Delta7

Camping Backpack Needed.

I currently have a Humvee Assault Pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SI0Z50/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004SI0Z9G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12JHPGM88XE321DQQTSA

I received it as a gift, so I'm not complaining about it at all. It's a great backpack and can handle anything I throw at it. It's just not the right backpack for hiking. I need a top loading backpack that I can put my compression sack Hammock in, hang my compression sack sleeping back from the bottom of and hike with.Right now, I have to hang a lot of things off of the ALICE straps on the back, and it's fairly awkward.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a camping backpack? Also keep in mind that I don't want to break the bank on this. Thanks!

You might try looking at some of the BSA back packs. I'm still using mine from 50 years ago as a day pack. If you're looking for a "carry a lot of stuff" bag, you're probably going to want to save your money until you can afford something solid or you won't be satisfied and you'll have wasted you money.

Both look awesome, but I was thinking something more along the lines of those top loading backpacks. Something you can put a few days food, a change of clothing, a hammock and a sleeping bag in.

I guess it'd be better to call them hiking packs and not camping packs.

I've seen a bunch at Wally World, Gander Mountain, Cabellas, Dick's Sporting Goods and other places, but I have no idea what a good one is and what isn't. I was hoping if anyone out there has a good one that they use they could give a shout out. Thanks!

I have used a lot of top loaders, and after extensive testing, I have found that panel loaders are a lot better. When you open up a panel loader, you can see where everything is located right away. But if you need access to an item that is buried at the bottom of a top loader, than you have to remove everything to get to it. My MULE will hold a hammock, compressed sleeping bag and lots of other goodies, no problem.

Edited by Josh_Survivalcache

You have given me many things to consider. I suppose I can always just play around with *how* I'm packing the pack. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the round size of the compression bags in the flat panel loaders. I'll try just folding the clothing so it fits better and the Hammock and Sleeping bag could probably fit into one large compression sack under the pack. Thanks!

I use the old Large Alice Pack with a metal frame from the vietnam era. Thats Top loading with 3 huge pockets on the outside, a Main Interior compartment, and Interior Pocket, and the main flap pocket. jus had to add a good Hip belt for it. The straps that hold the main flap are long enough to close the main flap and hold your stuff sack of sleeping bag and ground pad on top, and the alice attachments on the bottom are good to add 550 cord or straps to hold your Tent or cot, or both. When buying a backpack, you really want to pay close attention to how wide the shoulder straps are, there was an expensive REI pack, LOOKED really NICE at the STORE,but with the plastic poly frame and cheap straps. 40lbs of gear bent the plastic frame so your hip belt wasn't worth anything, and the wieght of the 1 inche straps cut right into the padding, that was 28 miles of walking remembrance, had that one updated with some good Alice Shoulder straps.

Delta, check out Bug Out Bags (brand name). I humped 60#s in mine while deployed and it was comfortable even without a frame. They do have space to rig your own improvised internal frame or possibly even buy an aftermarket frame if desired. I spent around $50-60 on mine.

Rugulator, would mind posting a link to the actual Bug Out Bag brand Packs? Google-ing "bug out bag backpack" doesn't exactly give a small search result.... I did find some called S.O.C. Bugout Bag for sale through U.S. Cavalry, is that what you meant?

Delta, will look. Bug Out Gear is on my bag.... give me a few and I'll see what I can find.

I have the 3 day elite and the SOC Bug Out Bag. They handle some rough chores and were cheaper than my SpecOps Brand "T.H.E. Pack". Mine came from the PX on base, but have seen them in several stores also. If I find any locally, I'll let you know. You can try the surplus store in Downers Grove on Rte 34 also. Tell him his "best SpecOps" customer sent you...lol. I'll try and find the link to his store for an address for you. It has been awhile since I was there, so not sure what all he has any more.

Edited by Regulator5

Another site to check out is:

www.opsgear.com

They have some decent gear and prices. I usually open 3 browsers and compare US Cav, brigade Quartermasters and OPSGEAR when looking for my gear. I am now discharged from the military, so my buying has slowed down ALOT... my wife can't see my spending thousands a year on gear any more. I was able to pretty much outfit my nephew and dad with MOLLE gear from my collection and still have my gear and the items needed to set up my wife and older 2 children with TA-50 (web gear). We camp as a family, so backpacks and other items were and are still looked at.

Condor makes some good gear also. You can even find some good deals on Blackhawk's website in their clearance section.

Opsgear has a "vestbuilder" app that allows you to add pouches and accessories to a MOLLE vest to see how your ideas on its configuration will actually work or look. Even with the MOLLE vest, I recommend a pistol belt added for more versatility and adaptability. I keep my canteens on my pistol belt and my butt pack to keep the back of the vest for my hydration system and backpack.

Thanks a lot dude! I'm planning on going Warrant Officer in the Army as soon as I'm done with my Bio/Physics double degree next Summer, so I've been looking into gear and equipment I can have at home that is similar to what I'll be using in the Army. Thanks again!

I was a Staff Sergeant in the Army. After 56+ broken bones and a few other injuries, my military career has ended. I actually used very little of the gear issued and mainly stuck to my personal gear. As far as gear that you have at home and the Army uses, camo patterns are real touchy (they are already phasing the ACU pattern out and going to multicam, which will be the 3d pattern in my 8 years of Army life) but gear style and type remains the MOLLE system.

I joined later in life, after 9/11 and had previous experience with the Air Force in Search and Rescue (as a civvie). Good luck with WOCS and feel free to ask any questions.

Yeah, I've heard about Multicam for a while, and I know that standard cammo is all but gone. I've always been a fan of coyote or Olive drab pouches and things. If I can think of any questions I'll be sure to ask them.

The great thing about the plain basic earth tone colors is that you can perform your own enhancement with some spray paint for the different locations. I use a variety of colors myself so the overall has some break up, but I still have too much ACU pattern.

Both look awesome, but I was thinking something more along the lines of those top loading backpacks. Something you can put a few days food, a change of clothing, a hammock and a sleeping bag in.

I guess it'd be better to call them hiking packs and not camping packs.

I've seen a bunch at Wally World, Gander Mountain, Cabellas, Dick's Sporting Goods and other places, but I have no idea what a good one is and what isn't. I was hoping if anyone out there has a good one that they use they could give a shout out. Thanks!

Delta,

In my expeirence, any top loader from stores like Gander Mtn and Dick's, is a decent one. I got mine when i was 11, still holding strong. I would suggest anything that has a "waist buckle" and padded straps/back support. You can pick them up for any where between $75-$120.

I always CRUISE the resale shops goodwill and salvation army and have bought some used

items backpacks small containers etc....

my best find is a Wenger / Swiss army I like the multiple pockets to keep them from

accidental opening I have connected pull tabs with key rings and carabiners.

ziplock bags to separate items help in flotation try to fill every container eliminate wasted

space.

I spend some on new items once and a while if they are better or add functionality and

sometimes they are a dud better to find out before you need them.

I like REI great source for waterproof bags and boxes the reverse of waterproof is water

container in a true survival situation containers are worth there weight in gold

personally a cold steel bush knife and a hank of rope and a gallon of containers i feel

confident I have been finding these stainless steel water bottles for a few bucks each

in a back pack they can be filled with rope fishing tackle and any small tools knives

whatever they have a screw top with a hole and fit in the side stretch pocket of my

backpack the hole allows me to tie the bottles to my pack taking a tumble or staggering

so tired your attention can wander and you can leave a trail of needed gear top load bags

are great kinda but if what you want is in the bottom and you have to almost empty it out

then it becomes a problem organizing and having some duplication is a good thing.

under stress and add a drama or immediate threat then items get dropped covered with

ground litter or sand and lost.

I have stated before a belt with some survival gear should be found on your dead body

removing all your gear to bathe or take a bathroom break not smart an animal jumps you it can be a defense fangs and claws in a bag is better than your hide,

and you have to evade you could be permanently separated from your gear a long fall in

heavy brush or hillside if your not wearing it properly it's lost and if your hurt a bag 50 foot away may as well be lost and leaving gear for someone else to watch I don't think so its

not a matter of trust its a matter of some people do not realize the trouble they are in ever their mind refuses to consider any bad they may wander from the area looking for food

water or they hear something nothing like having a A.D.D. or a crier or blabber in a survival situation and them thinking you know the woods like davey crockett and now your grid

search for your gear

your gear should have contrast color it can be painted or changed if needed it needs to

have pockets separators and side pouches and even little hidden areas you need a belt

with knife compass water and fire starting and survival sleeping bag ....and more

ask any survivor lost at sea or in the wild 2 things stand out generally no one had any

idea where they were or when they were due back and had little to no equipment a note

in a mailbox a few voice mails could have saved many or had help on the way in a known amount of time precision is important well were going to hiking the gran canyon DUH that a

big area try being a bit more precise

weather and seasonal always plays a part or forces your hand shadows make everything

look different as does wind and rain.

and a backpack is your life line you can keep your BOB in the car or truck and as long as

you can text or call and voice mail and leave a note on the dash too you can be impetuous as you want without leaving family worried and if something goes wrong you can hunker

down instead of second guessing yourself into moving and getting lost out of the area

search where rescue crews would be looking. and never think day trip or day pack that another good way to get into trouble...

I have been using a kelty redcould 5000 for the last 12 years of backpacking. It will hold everything you need for a week. I have a collar bone that i broke and healed back with a noticeable indentation. It is tender but i can haul 50 lbs for 10-15miles on the AT or BMT trails (usual load is 35 lbs for 5 days). My pack has yet needed a repair and still looks good after cleaning. It is a top loader that can also be opened a third of the way from the bottom. I paid good money for it but its paid me back 10 fold.

I just did an overnighter with an Osprey Kestrel (52 liters I think) and I barely noticed I had it on. Top loader with a zipper at the bottom to access those items faster. Pockets on the waist belt and on the back, rain cover and plenty of daisy chains to attatch whatever you need. If $140 is in your budget it's worth a look.