Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bart

REAL Survival vs REEL survival

We need toask the newbee(New person.lol) that is in China about what they think about it.

Dem's foitin' woids!! Newbee indeed!:mad:

Meh, I'm over it now......The original red dawn I loved, being in the key target demographic when it come out. I haven't revisited the original in many years as I'd rather have fond memories than pollute them with subsequently gained knowledge like I've done on many others.

As for the remake. When the producers switched the invaders, it sure made sense. However now, after congress rails against Yuan (RMB) value, finds against tire manufacturers and imposed tariffs (thereby allowing China's tit-for-tat tariff imposition on certain American cars) and also supplied extra arms and planes to Taiwan: Making the China the bad guy in a movie is a slight not an action of aggression.

Given those developments, the inability of N. Korea to project any might past it's doorstep and continuing developments in the Gulf (you know what I mean dammit) switching back to Red flags would make for a more believable plot line, but still not a very likely one. I can't see too many nations thinking jumping into the US' backyard for a spot of "paintball" as a great plan, not until after SHTF and you guys empty most of your rounds into each other. Ooooh, there's a good thinking point.

OK, I've seen a couple of Man Woman Wild. Nothing really bad in what I saw but it just didn't attract my interest. Of course, if I did some of what he does to MY bride, she'd KILL me! I think the whole concept is not what you'd want to do to a newbie. Is it just a good show or do you learn stuff from it?

Next up - Dual Survival. Yep, if you watch much of the first year, I think they came close a couple of times. If the cameras hadn't been rolling .... Cody is interesting. Mad as a March Hare but interesting. He has some really good stuff in his book 98.6; Keeping Your Ass Alive. It adds a little background to who he is. One of the things I do like about it, is that they learn from each other. Everything doesn't work, Cody nearly froze to death up in the North East because he couldn't make a fire (desert ways didn't work in the wet). I think his attire is nuts most of the time but I learn some things from it. Things like using mud on your skin to protect against poison ivy and bugs. Hey, it works for elephants, I should have known but just never thought of it.

I've recorded a Nat Geo (?) special on cougars. We have them in our neck of the woods (south of Houston - surprises a lot of folks) and they might become an issue at any time; if you're out camping or walking they might BE TSHTF event. The short part of the show I watch showed the Cougar kill technique. I didn't know it but now I'm better prepped. The cat is an ambush predator. It likes to jump on the back and break the neck of the prey with its jaws. If that fails, well there are the fangs in the neck to start bleeding. Moral, NEVER run from a cougar. You are showing him his preferred target. I do like to learn the habits of the major predators we might be facing.

Given those developments, the inability of N. Korea to project any might past it's doorstep and continuing developments in the Gulf (you know what I mean dammit) switching back to Red flags would make for a more believable plot line, but still not a very likely one. I can't see too many nations thinking jumping into the US' backyard for a spot of "paintball" as a great plan, not until after SHTF and you guys empty most of your rounds into each other. Ooooh, there's a good thinking point.

Isoroku Yamamoto is reported to have said that he would never invade the United States because there would be a gun behind every blade of grass.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp asserts that in a country of 307 Million people (2009) there exists roughly 300 million firearms (2010) of which 100 million are handguns. Also says about 40% to 45% of households have firearms in them, about a third of adults own guns and about 20% own a handgun. That was BEFORE the big buying spree this past year. The Admiral was correct; don't invade the US.

The ONE scene in Red Dawn that I thought the Hollywood PC clowns put in was the "... cold dead fingers" bumper sticker with the guy dead in the car. OK, message a gun will just get you killed was sent. After that, it was too bad a movie. With 40 or 50 million .22's in the country you'd be safe in your tank but you could never leave it! One of the things I liked in both Dawn and Patriots is that the invaders brought with them the means of their own destruction. Every military can defeat itself IF you can get its weapons.

Dem's foitin' woids!! Newbee indeed!

No offence ment:o

Your View is very important because your on the ground there.Re Con so to speak.

Cart.Bart..

Im always yelling at the TV when someone is taken down and they just leave the ammo and weapons behind,my wife has a look that I get"Honey its TV" and I know you would SCROUNGE everything off them even the boots.

Sorry my Irish ancestors are trying to channel me.

LOL

Capt, man woman wild is more enteratainng to me than informative although the one thing I think they get right that it shows what its like to deal with anyone who hasn't done something in the wild before. While she is pretty smart and seems to know most of her stuff, her reactions are what we should expect from ours if we dont have them do it be they NEED to do it. Also, if you want to learn the habits of predators we will be facing don't forget to put man on top of that list=)

Capt, man woman wild is more enteratainng to me than informative although the one thing I think they get right that it shows what its like to deal with anyone who hasn't done something in the wild before. While she is pretty smart and seems to know most of her stuff, her reactions are what we should expect from ours if we dont have them do it be they NEED to do it. Also, if you want to learn the habits of predators we will be facing don't forget to put man on top of that list=)

i love the show. these shows in general are fun to watch. you can learn from them from time to time

but keep in mind they are for entertainment as well. if ya learned something from it you cant say it has no value at that point. ive learned something from each of the shows i watch like that. not saying i learn every time i view ok, but i have learned something.

i bought mykel's book to throw in my collection of stuff. its a great read.

Dual Survival is my fav 'reel survival' show, they do some crazy shit, cody (the hippie) cauterized a slice on dave's (the army guy) arm with gunpowder to show that it can be done, rather than just hearing about it being possible. They showed how to do it!! and lining a lean-to made of sticks with an emergency blanket, makes a really toasty shelter, even in the snow. i could go on and on, have 3 seasons downloaded

Keep in mind that TV Survival shows must create a story that fits into their format in a way that is sufficiently entertaining to draw and keep an audiece.

Whatever they show the "stars" of a show doing must meet the above criteria. If they do something that looks like it might work, verify that with some follow-up testing before you need to depend on it for your survival.

Edited by LivingGray

Keep in mind that TV Survival shows must create a story that fits into their format in a way that is sufficiently entertaining to draw and keep an audiece.

Whatever they show the "stars" of a show doing must meet the above criteria. If they do something that looks like it might work, verify that with some follow-up testing before you need to depend on it for your survival.

Gray,

Just so. No matter what, until you can do it successfully, each and every time, you do not have that survival skill. The one time you fail to make fire may be the time your life depends on it.

I just watched the latest episode of man woman wild and I am a little confused about something. Mike was showing his lady how to use a mag bar to start a fire. He srcapped a pretty nice pile of shavings onto a board but then put a tampon on top of it to start the fire. wouldn't this just have been a wast of the shavings...?

I just watched the latest episode of man woman wild and I am a little confused about something. Mike was showing his lady how to use a mag bar to start a fire. He srcapped a pretty nice pile of shavings onto a board but then put a tampon on top of it to start the fire. wouldn't this just have been a wast of the shavings...?

he did this for a lil extra help as tender. cotton is very very flamable as you know.