Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Slingshots

I see them listed in category title but no threads or comments yet. Slingshots are a great survival tool. They are small, economicly priced and can use a multitude of ammunition. I dispatched many dogs, along with some cats, while deployed to Iraq with them. They were also used for dispatching other varmints, just needed some different ammo.

Lead round balls for a muzzleloader are very effective against even larger animals. I like the 45 caliber, 50 created alot of kinetic force but the 45 had the velocity for penetration as well (we shot through a steel 55 gallon drum used for burning trash). You can launch arrows, but that is something I'm not sure I would try unless forced to without some type of rest being manufactured and improvised for it. Marbles work well for small game, but these will normally just stun the animal and requires follow up action to harvest it. River rock is also very effective and can be used as landscaping to have alot of ammo stored in plain sight. I've evn seen BBs used as a "shotgun" with a slingshot with mixed results.

Other uses and features, they are really fun when shooting paintballs and has a definite psychological effect on the receiving party. On the tactical side, paintball was developed from people shooting each other with livestock marking pistols. They now have pepperspray "paintballs" and others that have hunting scents in them (although these are getting harder to find). A few quietly placed skunk scent balls will either deter or clear an area out if needed without the noise of a paintball marker.

This is an item I keep in my webgear so to have it always. I can always forage ammo for it and is extremely effective in an urban enviroment where rabbits and squirrel are normally found as food sources.

I've seen a post about slingshots on here before but maybe not in the right place. Anyway, I keep one in my BOB. I love it. I use steel balls in mine. It takes a little practice but you can get deadly with them. I hit the bulls eye about 9 out of 10 times, Can kill a rabbit in a heartbeat as long as it's not running.

I have seen Dave Canabury use a system where you attach a thing to the front of it and use arrows with it. He seems good with it. They even sell arrows that are in 3 pieces and you screw them together to use. I would think the hard part about using it as a bow is when you shoot a bow you have it at eye level and a sling shot should not be that high. If the band slips off or breaks you got no more eye.

I would think if you hit a man in the head with a 45 steel ball it would at least slow him down real slow. You know the fore head is the thickest part of your head, Temple or the base of the head would make them really slow for a long tile.

regulator5

what brand were you using was thinking about getting one. Haven't shot one since i was a kid and it was an old wooden sportsman. It used the flat rubber bands instead of the round tubes but could make new bands out of an old inner tube. That was when inner tubes were actually made from rubber.

I used the basic foldable Crossman you see at Wally World. Mine was bought around 1990 and I did replace the bands once with "magnum" bands. They have some that already have the magum bands in place.

Meddle, those lead rounds balls will do more than knock them for a loop....lol. I'll venture to say they will leave a nice hole in the impact area.

slings can do more than help ya hunt. they are good for defence when killing isnt what your trying to do.

you can control the attack power when using these too. you can give off a warning shot or kill, depending your intentions. you can also use them as a distraction tool as well.

slings can do more than help ya hunt. they are good for defence when killing isnt what your trying to do.

you can control the attack power when using these too. you can give off a warning shot or kill, depending your intentions. you can also use them as a distraction tool as well.

What I use the hunting scents for. Also just launching a rock into bushes a few hundred yards away (exaggerated) will divert attention. All great points.

I agree. I figure once rule of law is not being lived by, the gangbangers will be the hunted. People are already fed up by them and if LEO isn't going to be able to protect the People, they will start doing what needs done with the gangs. I see a whole bunch of colorful pinatas hanging from rope neckties...lol.

I always said. "you can solve most problems with a tall tree and a short rope".

I think we have gotten way off topic...lmao. Not that I mind, but think we hot a fork in the road and took the fun route. If it starts out this fun, I hope I brought enough singles, as I can only imagine what lies ahead...lmao.

Didn't read all the post except the last few by regulator and rick, wow guys wish I wouldn't have missed all that. Anyway, I love slingshot but hate them at the same time for the same reason I hate bows. I have a slight fear that when I am using them at any moment the damn thing is going to break and go right through my eyeball.

Didn't read all the post except the last few by regulator and rick, wow guys wish I wouldn't have missed all that. Anyway, I love slingshot but hate them at the same time for the same reason I hate bows. I have a slight fear that when I am using them at any moment the damn thing is going to break and go right through my eyeball.

oh you missed the post where i reminded folks that safety glasses are a must when using a slingshot.

Try Armor All or something that conditions the bands and will help keep the UV rays from damaging them. I also keep a few spares around just in case. I have changed my bands once in 22 years.

I use beeswax for my bowstring but there are several waxes out there to help keep them in good condition.