Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

Zombie Fiction or Something to Chew On

For David Peters fans, End World-Corruption Undone is a welcomed addition to the Corrupted world saga. For those new to the series, this is about a zombie outbreak that rapidly morphs into an alien invasion scenario as infected, or corrupted, humans mutate into a variety of insectiod monsters busy wiping out humanity with the exception of a few isolated strongholds. Great series that spans zombie and survival topics and features good writing and tight plotting. Read the series if you haven't already.

Same thing happened to me in the mortgage biz back in 07 Texas Bill B)

Same thing happened to me in the mortgage biz back in 07 Texas Bill

t2940, that is hilarious. I notice your location is somewhere in East Texas. I'm orginally from there myself. Without violating opsec, any hints as to where? I grew up just south of Jasper, lived in Lufkin for awhile, and went to college at SFA. I'm thinking of buying some property up in that region when my job slows down a little. My wife is allergic to country living so it would strictly be a weekend deal.

t2940, that is hilarious. I notice your location is somewhere in East Texas. I'm orginally from there myself. Without violating opsec, any hints as to where? I grew up just south of Jasper, lived in Lufkin for awhile, and went to college at SFA. I'm thinking of buying some property up in that region when my job slows down a little. My wife is allergic to country living so it would strictly be a weekend deal.

I'm about 30 miles east of Dallas in Royse City the land of no development................lol

Originally a Fort Worth boy

Ahhh. Royce City. Between Rockwall and Greenville. There is some development there, though. I seem to recall a Dairy Queen. You guys have some decent lakes nearby at least.

Well, I read the new Charles McLaughlin book, Bloodfire, and it was like the first two books in the series, a bang up pile of zombie fun. The protagonist, William Newton, is evolving into a combination of Captain America and the Hulk but at least the author addresses these issues (sort of) in the story. I enjoyed the story and now I am left hanging for Book 4, because while not a cliffhanger ending, the story does lead naturally to another book. I you like zombie stories with lots of action, gunfire and swordplay, check it out but read the first two books first even though the first book does not directly contain zombies. Trust me, the revenge story there is worth the read and sets the stage for what is to come.

Just read the whole Apocalypse Babes series. It's a little light on zombies (they are really only a factor in the first book or so, and even then aren't a huge danger for most) and heavy on the kind of drama that would be worthy of a follow-up to the Twilight books. But if you like vast conspiracies, time travel, psychological experimentation, and so on... well, this has all of that. LOL

May have to check out Bloodfire and its predecessors, though!

Wow - just read through the whole Corrupted World series. That was a great recommendation! The action is fast-paced, and the Corrupted are scarier than just about any zombies I have read recently (even though they AREN'T zombies in any real sense). After the third book, I definitely wondered whether the author hates the Air Force for some reason. The characters are likable, if not downright lovable. And they make smart decisions about survival, fighting or fleeing, etc., which is always a bonus in stories like this. I really enjoyed these books and am so glad that you mentioned them, Texas Bill!

Thanks, Oregonchick. Glad you liked them. All three of Charles McLaughlin's books are engrossing and have two stories going at once. The protagonist, William Newton, is an interesting character and the plot device of his second story was interesting as he chronicled his early years and turbulent childhood in an autobiography he writes on when he has a little downtime. The first book drags a little in the later stages but ends with a bang. Be warned, the first book is basically a revenge tale and has nothing immediately connected to zombies, but lays a lot of groundwork for later. Things that make you go "Huh?" in book one become clear later in some clever plotting. Book Two is all zombies, pretty much all the time, except for some pirates. Book Three sees some changes in the character that were foreshadowed, and when Newton turns into "superzombie slayer" there is at least some explanation. The author also runs into the problem of making Newton so much of a bada$$ that he has to reach to find new challenges for him. Still, a great series so far. The ending of Book Three is jarringly abrupt, but not a cliffhanger, but leaving things open for the inevitable book four.

Okay, guys, Mr. Vohs just released Zombie Crusade III-Evolution and it is GREAT! I am almost done with this book and it is chock full of action, revelations and some real shockers as Jack and David expand their war against the zombies and the terrible hunters. Oh, and Luke really is a killing machine when it comes to hunters. A must read.

Here's something weird: I went to buy Zombie Crusade III and it's only available via paperback right now on Amazon!? Guess I'll keep checking back to see if/when it's released (or re-released, if you have it already) on Kindle.

OC, try searching for it as Zombie Crusade Evolution. I saw the same thing and found it that way. Well worth the search.

This is the week for zombie books, as the third book in the Blue Plague series, Sacrifice, just came out as well. You get your money's worth and if you liked the first two, you will love the third installment. Bruce is once again completely over the top but readers also get to see his military genius side- he is like "Rainman" when it comes to piecing intel together. I think I liked it the best of the three, flaws and all.

I finished Blue Plague Sacrifice last night and really liked it. The Bruce character is so over the top (the guy's middle name is Wayne for you Batman fans out there), but some of the other characters like Marcus and Paul got a chance to shine, too. At over 600 pages, you don't get cheated on content, but too much time with the "Super Family" hanging out, though there were some really funny parts, too. I don't want to spoil the ending but the wait for the next book is going to be a hard one.

Can't wait to read Blue Plague Sacrifice over the weekend! From the other books, I know that even the over-the-top, slightly ridiculous parts are going to be completely outweighed by just how much I love the characters and how funny they are.

Finished Omega Days by Joseph Campbell. It's well written and there are lots of good zombie action scenes, as well as plenty of interesting characters. But the whole book basically serves to introduce you to a wide, largely disconnected number of survivors in the San Francisco area, only a few of whom are genuinely likable. And of course, it has a cliffhanger ending - well, actually it seems to have several of them since quite a few of the characters are imperiled at the end of the book. It also doesn't cover any new territory, really: a young woman who turns deadly after watching her family turn into zombies, escaped prisoners, an antihero having a crisis of faith, a religious zealot who thinks this will be an opportunity to gain power, a woman who wants to find a way back to her family...

Again, the book IS well written and it's certainly a reasonable price. It's the length of a full book, too, which I like. But the fact that the whole thing is just a set-up for whatever will come later in the series - rather than being a decent story in and of itself, with hints of future action - was disappointing. If you like serial stories, it's most likely one you'll want to read.

Thanks, OC. I'll pull up Omega Days and save it on my wish list until book 2 comes out. I would imagine San Fran would be a bad place to ride out the ZA. Almost like the UK with their strict firearm laws I understand.

Sacrifice will make you laugh and want to cry as well. Good news is you get to see Bruce go completely off the reservation. And Marcus really gets a big role, but Mike is still in the background, which is irritating since he was so good in the first book. Hopefully Book 4 will be coming out quick because the author revealed that originally, Books 2-3 were one book but his wife told him it was too long. She was right. I actually approve of breaking this one into two parts.

I loved Sacrifice, but you're absolutely right: it did make me cry. I agree that I'm a little put off by the Bruce show because Mike was so much more his equal in the early part of the series. That said, maybe he'll step up in the next book, because Bruce is going to be seriously off his game no matter how much he was prepped for what went down.

Just read Ravage: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel by Iain Rob Wright. It's well written, but not a particularly new take on zombies. It's set in the outskirts of London at a largely empty petting zoo/amusement park and sadly all too full (of zombies) manor house/hotel. The group of survivors that we follow is prone to making stupid decisions and ignoring the behavior of those among their number who are clearly cracking up. The most interesting parts of the novel actually are the last 10 percent or so, which shows the worldwide scope and what caused the outbreak, all as the set-up for a second book. If Lily the Orangutan will be in book 2, I'll be interested in it. Otherwise, I'll probably pass.

Also read DJ Molles' next installment in his series, The Remaining: Fractured. It ends on a somewhat happier note than I expected, but OH MY GOSH is it the most despairing, depressing path to get there! There are also some truly intriguing plot twists along the way that completely caught me by surprise, and a few people getting their just desserts, which is always satisfying. And you definitely see some of the characters change and grow - or break - under the strain of the new world they find themselves in. It does make me anxious for the next book, too, because it will be interesting to see what happens with the official military and the military folks who now suspect their commander is out of his gourd, whether they can help the folks at Camp Ryder and stem the tide of incoming infected, and just what will happen with the creepy band of marauder/zealots "The Followers" who have some shocking new recruits.

Glad you liked Sacrifice, OC. I have Ravage but I think I will wait until I am all out to read it. Sounds like a lot of other books out there, okay but not great. I just read Get Off My Lawn by Perry Kivolowitz, which takes a different look at ZA survivors. This story is about a computer geek husband and a gun-friendly wife who take early retirement to Wisconsin after the husband makes a bunch of money in Silicon Valley. They are preppers (though don't self identify as such) and build there bug-in castle right in the middle of a rural subdivision and they have to deal with the Homeowners Association to get the house the way they want it. This is way more realistic than where someone buys a piece of property in the middle of nowhere and develops it. Real life constraints (this is the edge of where fiberoptic cable was laid) play a real world role in selecting their homesite.

The story is told from the husband's prospective and is full of some really funny stuff as well some pretty terrible images. This story really delves into the idea of zombie hordes and how the military could potentially deal with them most effectively. The ending was not what I expected and overall the story was good but I wished it was longer.

FYI, I proofed the new Tiera book from PS Power and it answers a LOT of questions, some of which I did not even know to ask. I think a lot of Tiera haters will end up changing their tune after this one.

I'll check out Get Off My L@wn soon.

Just read the latest in the Leftovers series by Christian Fletcher, Left on the Brink. This is the continued story of Brett Wilde (aka Wild Man), Smith, and Batfish as they escape the New Orleans enclave that has been overrun by zombies. A series of flares leads them back to the small base where they gassed up in the previous book; they fear that their newfound friends are in trouble. Instead, they are faced with an interesting proposition: try a risky flight overseas to the promise of safety in Scotland. As always, plenty of zombie action AND plenty of "whoa, people are nuts!" going on. Wilde is still a bit nuts, and the character of Batfish isn't exactly evolving, but we are slowly learning more about the mysterious Smith and what makes him tick, which was definitely interesting.

Good to see the new Leftovers book. Sometimes hard to read just because the outlook is so grim.

I am struggling through Outbreak Boston by Robert Van Dusen. The story has some good points but some of the characters are just hard to warm up to because they are such idiots. Plus, I am halfway through and we still don't know much about where or how regarding zombie disease, which is just not helpful to readers. Makes me want to go back and reread Sacrifice again.

I finally gave up on Outbreak Boston for the time being. I just couldn't get into it. Went back and reread Sacrifice and the third Zombie Crusade book. Still great even after a second read. I don't have a lot of spare time to read lately, between the job and working on my own stuff. If I get a chance, I may see about posting a few chapters here for grins and comments.

Happy Day! Free today is Zombie Crusade: Snapshot Ontario, a short story from J.W. Vohs. Guess who has Canadian relatives? This too short little snippet (34 pages) gives us an understanding about how our neighbors to the north deal with the zombie outbreak and has some cool zombie fighting scenes. High sticking indeed. I think this one is on for free for a limited time.

Next, book three of the Virus Sequence, Viral Revival, by Chris Braid just recently came out as well. This is one of the best zombie series to come out of the UK and for some reason has not received the attention it so richly deserves. The author is retired British military and his jargon sounds spot on and the accents of the troopers crack me up. Read on.

Great times for zombie sequels, guys. Check out the second Zombie Crusade short story, set in Israel. Awesome stuff here and not all of it zombie related. Pretty good look at how things stand in Israel, and a heck of an ending. Also, No More Room in Hell 3 just came out by the always interesting Luke Duffy, and Eric Shelman's Dead Hunger V represents a new chapter in that series as the action shifts to Dave and his trip to California. I've just ordered Mr. Duffy and Mr. Shelman's books but if you are fans, you know what you like and don't need my review here. Let me know what you guys think.

I wound up reading the last three P.S. Powers books all in a row, and each one was such a treat!

The new "Other Places" book, Road Blocks, was great because we're seeing Zack come into his own, but I am surprised that the overlap with the "Keely" series is so significant - it's like the two series are merging together, more like how the "Young Ancients" books work.

Loved the insight into Tiera with The Silence Within. She seemed to reckless and impulsive in prior books, and now we see her settling down and really mapping out strategies. The stuff she says when given a truth amulet at the castle is hilarious, too (she flat-out tells them that she dislikes the king, but has no immediate plans to harm him, etc., which freaks out the guards a bit). I also enjoyed her efforts in taking over Morris County. I'm always curious to see where the next book is going to take us.

And Goblin was great. Tobin has long been one of my favorite characters because he's so sweet and helpful, but you get a real sense of depth out of this... and a sense of his despair, too. And some of the twists and turns completely shocked me - at one point, I literally said, "No WAY!" out loud. LOL I'm kind of excited to see what happens if an all-out war really comes to pass, although I also fear that some of the characters I've grown fond of may not survive.

OC, if you liked "Crayons" and the "Keely" series, try out his latest (on for 99cents) "Friendzoned". I thought this was a bad idea at first, but it really gives us a different perspective on Darla and Keely and the story was deeper than I suspected. This is about Becky Horder, and I was really touched by the relationship between Becky and her stepfather.

As for the zombies, I really liked the Rise sequel, Age of the Dead by Gareth Wood even if it really didn't advance the story too much. Good adventure and sets the stage for Book 3. Also, Dead Hunger V is very interesting after you get past the obligatory catching up in the first few chapters. Centering this volume of the Chronicles around David Gammon is a no-brainer, since he and Serena are roadtripping to California to look in on Dave's uncle, who is a survivalist.