Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

Zombie Fiction or Something to Chew On

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1717[/ATTACH]Oregonchick, thank you!

Bill, I'm originally from Corpus Christi, and still have family there. I go down once a year to wave hi to them, then drive from What-A-Burger to What-A-Burger gorging myself on chow I just can't get up here in the northeast. Also some good Mexican food, and of course, the holy Big Red.

We got through Sandy fine, though I did have to live through the onerous circumstance of not having cable TV and broadband for almost a week. I work in Lower Manhattan, and with all the subway and related mass-transit issues, I essentially got out of working for a week. Always a bonus!

Will definitely resource you as a beta, but you'll be receiving essentially first draft stuff. This is likely to motivate you to put your head in a toilet, a .45 in your mouth, and fire repeatedly.

By the way, the vehicle in the original cover will be replaced with these, which are a closer match to what's described in the novel...

Wow, I like that vehicle! And I love What-A-Burger, mainly because it is the only fast food my wife, affectionately referred to around my house as the "Little Woman" (since she is 5'11" in stocking feet), will tolerate in the house. I look forward to the challenge of being a Red Shirt beta, just PM me. Sorry you had to go without one of the essentials (broadband almost ranking up there with food and water). I would think Corpus would be a great place to grow up, with some beaches much superior to what we have around the Houston/Galveston area.

Freaky, especially that a mold spore could cause such drastic behavior changes in ants. In Dead Stop, by D. Nathan Hilliard, the zombies are infected by fungi as well. That sounds a little bland for a zombie premise, but the book was actually really well written and thrilling (what happens when a group of people at an all-night truck stop - isolated from any possible help - find themselves surrounded by zombies?).

i dont know about 'bland', just different. It may not be EXCITING but why not ? THe flu virus isnt exciting either but is very effective delivery system. ANd Bacteria (fungi) live longer without a host organism than virus' do.

I meant bland because so often it's the result of biological warfare, some sort of grand conspiracy, an outgrowth of an attempt to build an indestructible soldier, or even something caused by aliens. Fungi don't seem nearly as, you know, sexy of an origin story for a zombie apocalypse as those, not that it isn't an effective one. As I pointed out, the novel was actually pretty great.

That fungus thing by Mr. Hiiliard was really scary to me because it got around the whole "brain removed during autopsy" bump in the road. Even if the brain was missing or removed, the fungus still clustered in the skull and reconnected to the motor connections there. Still not believable, but closer and it allowed the dead to rise from their graves, which is the creepiest.

BTW, I think Blue Plague:Survival is now available on Kindle. I saw it up yesterday but could not order yet. Other than the gimp stuff, the first book was very enjoyable.

For all of you Flotilla of the Dead fans, the third book, Deluge of the Dead, has been released on Kindle. I am about 1/3 of the way into it and the book picks up the day after book two and hits the ground running. Do not try to read without getting the first two volumes. Blue Plague Survival is out and I will jot off a review once I finish Deluge. Merry Flesh-Eating XMas.

I just read the second in the Blue Plague series. It was full of a lot of the same kind of fun and action as the first book, and there's a lot of hope in how they are able to rescue many other survivors and salvage useful materials. Unfortunately, Gimp is joined by a few others, and while there is an explanation given for the kind of treatment they receive, it still made me like the family less. It's also slowly moving into this realm where all the women love Bruce and want to be with him (and maybe his wife is okay with that), and less about the original family and the two couples at the heart of it, which made me kind of sad. I did thoroughly enjoy the book, but it's moving much further into this fantastical "we're more well supplied than the army and I've got a harem" direction than the original, which focused a little more on a highly motivated and well prepared family unit that I found more appealing.

Thanks for the review, OC. I have it in my Kindle but I have not had the chance to read it yet. I did finish proofing the new Gwen Faris book by P.S. Power, Strangers and Lies. I have never been as much of a fan of this series as I have been the others, but this one was good, though one of his shorter works. It also messes with your head a little bit which in my book is a good thing and has some unexpected twists and turns as you find out more about some of the characters you thought you knew.

I'm excited to read it when it comes out, Texas Bill! I actually found the Gwen Faris series fascinating, and only reluctantly started the Young Ancients series because there weren't any more GF books on the immediate horizon. It will be interesting to see if I still love GF as much after all of the twists and turns you mentioned!

Well, Oregon Chick, if you thought Gwen was an a$$kicker before, buckle up. No cliffhangers, either, which is always a plus. I am just not a usually a steampunk guy, but this book ticked all the boxes. Now I am waiting for Dale to finish Tiera's book for release in January (I suspect) with the Infected series coming out next with a Cellophane book. I really liked Shortcuts and I hope to see more of Zack soon, either in that series or a new Keeley book next year.

Although I'm always chomping at the bit to get the next book from Dale, I have to admit, I'm REALLY impressed by how fast he writes. Especially since so few of his books have conventional characters and plot lines (which I think would be easier to produce at such a quick pace). I liked Zach and love the Keeley books, so I'd be happy with either of those, and I love the danger-on-all-sides aspects of the Infected series. And yes, I do enjoy the occasional steampunk novel, so that probably explains why Gwen Faris piqued my interest.

And I completely agree about the "no cliffhangers" thing. I don't mind there being some stuff left up in the air to be resolved in a later novel, but it really bugs me when a book ends while characters are in immediate danger or the main issue of the book hasn't actually been addressed in any way yet. It makes me feel like the author's making a cheap grab to ensure future book sales, as opposed to simply telling a story. I love that for all of the wondering that I do about future story lines, PS Powers novels never leave me distressed by unresolved situations.

I agree with you about the books written by Mr. Power. I was really blown away by Zack in Shortcuts. On the surface, he seems like a "typical" P.S. Power protagonist but then he does something like telling his grandparents essentially "F@@@ those guys" when he finds out about his parents and what they did. That is when I remember that even though some of his protagonists share some traits, they are all very different. Jake/Mickey would have charged off to rescue them because he believes in forgiveness and Tor would have created an amulet that repels Greater Demons (and glows a pretty green when they are in the vicinity). Gwen would have just gone around relying on...wait, no spoilers here.

Teasing is mean! Not that I want any spoilers, but still... Grr.

LOL You're right - even though there are definite characteristics that are shared among many of his protagonists, they really are distinct. It's not like you could just pick up one and drop him into the lead in another series and have it work. Again, another thing that is just mind-blowing about how quickly he writes them. Keeping such different (and difficult) worlds separate in your head could be a challenge in itself, but coming up with all sorts of crazy twists AND quirky, refreshing, and sometimes even annoying characters to stir into the mix - all while releasing, what, a couple of books per month? It's an insane pace for the caliber of work being done.

And, selfish reader that I am, I only wish he could work faster. LOL

OC, I remember reading early on some speculation that P.S. Power was actually a group of writers using the same name but his style is just too distinct for that. He really does work on two books at the same time and I understand he is going over the Gwen edits we sent him so if he holds true to form, Strangers and Lies should be out soon. You should check out his Amazon site sometimes- a few of his fans are a little too "Trekkie" like in their questions but he still tries to answer them. BTW, he has said that Tor will make an appearance in the Tiera book he is working on right now, so that will please some fans.

I was just getting started on Deluge of the Dead when the new Blue Plague book came out so I had to switch over to that. Page-wise, you sure get your money's worth and I was pretty pleased with the book but I hate the sense of doom hanging over Debbie. I will have to start calling her Debbie Downer. Plus, the additional gimp stuff left me cold even though Bruce does explain his reasoning at least. And the gimp does get a promotion, so he has that going for him. I will stick around for Book 3.

I look forward to "seeing" Tor again, although the other characters in the Young Ancients series are at least as interesting as he is. The Trekkie-like attention to detail can be a little grating, but I'm glad P.S. Powers is willing to humor them. I will make a point of checking his Amazon page from time to time.

Yeah, I didn't want to mention Debbie in the original write-up for Blue Plague because I worried it would be something of a spoiler. It doesn't seem like her to just be willing to give up, get her replacement in order, and wait for the ax to fall, but that's sort of what she's doing. I'm totally laughing at myself because of your "he has that going for him" comment, which made me picture Bill Murray in Caddyshack as the gimp.

Glad you caught the Carl reference to Caddy Shack there. As for Blue Plague Survival

SPOILERS, SPOILERS, RUN WAY:

I could see Bruce's need to vigorously question the bikers and frankly, I wish he would have just capped the two camp administrators and their goons but he did manage to extract some useful information. Anybody who would sign hundreds or writs of execution for people who annoyed them or refused their advances do NOT need to be cluttering up the gene pool. Gimp, I mean Jim, on the other hand, was a prince compared to these monsters.

I finished Revenence: Dead Silence last night and found it to be a decent but not great zombie novel. Too short, as is often the case, and the author did a poor job of researching some basic stuff. Clip versus magazine always makes me cringe, especially when the character saying it is supposed to be a "hardcore survivalist". Also, the author probably heard of an AK-47 on the news and decided his/her characters would use them, including a "sniper modified" AK-47. With clips. Sorry, pet peeve. Unless you are describing an M1 Garand, does not apply. Anyway, the writer has some actual writing skills so not painful to read. I'll keep an eye out for Book 2 if the price is right. Sometimes you get steak, and sometimes it is hamburger night.

Just finished The Fall of Society by Thonas Rand. It's apparently the first in a series and is set in several locations (two places in California, as well as London and, later, St. Petersburg). The zombie action itself is pretty great - for example, a big portion of the book is set in an airport and on a jetliner as an infected passenger causes some very, very bad things to happen on the flight. Let's just say that an hours-long delay while being stuck in coach apparently is not the worst thing that can happen to you when traveling. But while you get lots of snippets as characters are introduced, you don't spend enough time with any survivor or group of survivors to really see them through more than a few skirmishes, and all of them are left in some pretty immediate danger. The entire book therefore becomes a cliffhanger, which really annoys me.

I'm not sure whether I'll read future works in this series. Like I said, the cliffhanger thing - and the fact that the story is pretty much all breadth and no depth at this point - killed a lot of my enjoyment of the book. But the writing itself is good, especially for this genre, and the zombie mayhem is scary as heck, which I love. It also seems likely that the author has big plans for what will happen to the survivors in the next installments, which could probably be worth reading. So I'm on the fence with this one, at least for now.

SPOILERS, SPOILERS, RUN AWAY...

LOL

I agree with you completely. What's the benefit of keeping them around once you have the information? Much as I didn't understand why Jim/Gimp's family should have to endure his ongoing presence, I don't know why the rescued folks whose loved ones were executed by these quasi-governmental bullies should have to live and work with them. I also feel like seeing how ready Bruce is to treat people this way might make him seem LESS trustworthy and likable to the group, not more. Wouldn't it be traumatic to see someone who is supposed to be helping everyone by making good decisions start shrieking about raping someone? What does it say about Bruce that he decides to keep them around and mistreat them that way, and that he actually assigns other people to mistreat them, too? It ruins some of the goodwill I have towards him and the other survivors, that's for sure.

Yes, ma'am, crazy makes me scared. Instead, he should just shoot, shovel and shutup. Though, having the gators there is a nice alternative for a cleanup on Aisle Five. I liked Mike's explanation of letting the bikers go, though. I looked at Fall of Society and picked it up when it was run for free but I have not read it. Probably won't until I run out of anything else to read. I did see John O'Brien's new book in the New World series was just released so I will get that today but I have already heard there is a cliffhanger ending. GGRRRR. By the way, with all the delayed flights I have been on recently with United, you would think the zombies are running the airline. Their CEO looks a little suspicious to me.

Yes, ma'am, crazy makes me scared. Instead, he should just shoot, shovel and shutup.

Well said! And now I'm going to have to buy John O'Brien's latest...

By the way, with all the delayed flights I have been on recently with United, you would think the zombies are running the airline. Their CEO looks a little suspicious to me.

This made me literally laugh out loud.

I like the O'Brien book so far but I am rationing it out so I don't finish it too soon. The night runners are becoming even more scary and one wonders what exactly they are going to evolve into. I am looking forward to Mr. Vohs' sequel to Zombie Crusade but I can't get a good read on the ETA for that one.