Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Texas Bill

Zombie Fiction or Something to Chew On

425 posts in this topic

Reading zombie fiction is my guilty pleasure and I am looking for new books. I have read World War Z (good), Day By Day Armageddon and sequel (both good), Mad Swine (bad), Comes the Dark (bad) and the first two volumes by Z A Recht (excellent). I also just finished the first two books by Stephanie Frater (excellent reads) and as I said, looking for some recommendations. Anybody out there willing to fess up to their favorite flesh- gnawing titles?

Check out Uprising USA by George Hill if you want some good zombie fun. This author is a serious gun blogger and has a particular writing style, but he definitely knows and enjoys his zombie killing weapons. His newest volume, Uprising UK, just came out and I have it on order from Amazon. If you like zombie books and hang on on this forum, this book is for you.

Another author to look at is Joseph Talluto, whose White Flag of the Dead series is up to four volumes, I think. Another fellow that seems to know his firearms and while the writing seemed a little amateur at first I gotta say he has gotten better.

By the way, I have to admire anybody with the tenacity and guts to write a book, so I usually try not to trash, but I read Comes the Dark by Patrick D'Orazio and I have to say, pass. You don't have to be a gun bunny to write books about killing zombies (see Staphanie Frater referenced above), but for goodness sake, give your protagonist something to "kill" zombies with in place of a baseball bat! This is America, not England, so not necessary to outfit your hero like Sean of the Dead.

I guess after this weekend Zombies are one step closer to being real. Did you see the mindless fools fighting, spraying with pepper spray. knocking each other down and stepping on, and kicking each other just to get some shoes? If that's not A person with out a mind nothing is

I guess after this weekend Zombies are one step closer to being real. Did you see the mindless fools fighting, spraying with pepper spray. knocking each other down and stepping on, and kicking each other just to get some shoes? If that's not A person with out a mind nothing is

LMAO(even though i shouldn't) You are right on the money meddle.

Thanks for the suggestions texas, I will have to check those out.

"It's gotta be the shoes." For your younger guys, take a minute to Google the phrase.

I saw the line stretching out around the block at the Galleria and I knew it could not be anything good, so the news that violence and mayhem accompanied the release of these shoes did not shock me. These kinds of displays might be expected for people scrambling to feed their families but for a pair of shoes? You've got to be kidding me. These are the actions of people without a brain or a clue.

I just finished World War Z. It was a pretty good read, but I think a book about the war itself would have been better. a book of interviews with survivors was an interesting approach to it though.

Try reading:

The Stain Trilogy (The Stain, The Night Eternal, and The Fall) by Guillermo Del Toro (the genius behind Pan's Labyrinth) and Chuck Hogan (master of character-driven thrillers like Prince of Thieves). These guys reinvent the vampire genre.

The Passage by Justin Cronin about the catastrophic possibilities of a vampiric bat virus unleashed upon the world.

Capt. Rob,

You are dead on with both recommendations. Also, be on the lookout for the sequel to The Passage coming out this summer. I have been a fan of Chuck Hogan for years.

Also, for fans of the late Z.A. Recht, his last book in the trilogy, entitled Survivors, is due out in June of this year. I just went back and reread the first two books recently, and darn it is a shame he is dead. Word was, he had a manuscript for the third book finished before his death and another zombie author worked with his family to get it finished for publication. Also, if you have read anything by Joseph Talluto, his fourth book in the White Flag of the Dead series just came out and I have to admit his writing gets bewtter with each book. Very enjoyable escapist fun.

You made me think of a book I read in junior high Bill. It was called The Survivor and written by a Rob White. About a Dauntless dive bomb pilot shot down over a Japanese held island. There was another of his books about a submarine, but the plot escapes me. He had some good stuff for young adults.

Hossfly: Robb White (June 20, 1909 – November 24, 1990) was a writer of screenplays, television scripts, and adventure novels; most of the latter had a maritime setting — often the Pacific Navy during World War II. Nearly all his books are out of print. I think the books you are thinking of are:

Up Periscope (1956)

Flight Deck (1961)

Torpedo Run (1962)

The Survivor (1964)

Surrender (1966)

Silent Ship, Silent Sea (1967)

No Man's Land (1969)

Deathwatch (1972)

Up Periscope was made into a movie starring James Garner and Deathwatch was made into a TV series called Savages starring Andy Griffith as the bad guy.

No a zombie book, but 'On the Beach' is good. below is the description from Wikipedia. Read it in Junior High (and re-read it last year) real good. Hits home about seeing the end coming your way and not being able to do anything about it.

The story is set primarily in and around Melbourne, Australia, in 1953. World War III has devastated most of the populated world, polluting the atmosphere with nuclear fallout and killing all human and animal life in the northern hemisphere. The war began with a nuclear attack by Albania on Italy, and then escalated with the bombing of the United States and the United Kingdom by Egypt. Because the aircraft used in these attacks were obtained from the USSR, the Soviets were mistakenly blamed, triggering a retaliatory strike on the USSR by NATO. There is also an attack by the Soviets on the People's Republic of China, which may have been a response to a Chinese attack aimed at occupying Soviet industrial areas near the Chinese border. Most if not all of the bombs had cobalt that was included to enhance their radioactive properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

Okay, back to the Zombie book genre - here's a fairly new book that was surprisingly good:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. From an editorial review:

"While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years. Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation."

Of course, it's pure fiction. . . . or is it?

Theres the Zombie Survival Guide written by the same author as World War Z. That was pretty entertaining. Theres Cell by Stepen King thats kind of like people turning into zombies. Not a zombie one but a good EOTWAWKI book is The Stand by Stepen King.

Shawn,

If you liked The Stand, check out Swan Song. I think the author is Dan Simmons. Another end of the world book but with a better ending (my opinion) than The Stand. Also, has some interesting stuff about a survivalist palace that turns out to not be "up to code". Goes to show that not even money can buy safety.

The Gathering Dead

by Stephen Knight

The Horde Is Always Hungry...

The zombie apocalypse has begun, and Major Cordell McDaniels is given the most important mission of his career: lead a Special Forces team into New York City to rescue the one man who can stop the ghastly virus that reanimates the dead.

But as a growing army of flesh-eating corpses takes over the streets and a violent storm renders airborne extraction impossible, McDaniels struggles to find a way out of the Big Apple. The odds of anyone getting out alive plummet further when slaughtered members of his own Special Forces team join the ranks of the gathering dead... with their military skills intact!

Dead City

by Joe McKinney

Texas? Toast.

Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying—but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life—with an insatiable hunger for human flesh…

The Nightmare Begins

Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family…

Hell On Earth

There’s no place to run. No place to hide. The zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors…but he doesn’t know the price he will have to pay…

(There's a sequel, too: Apocalypse of the Dead)

The Rising

by Brian Keene

Nothing stays dead for long. The dead are returning to life, intelligent, determined...and very hungry. Escape seems impossible for Jim Thurmond, one of the few left alive in this nightmare world. But Jim's young son is also alive and in grave danger hundreds of miles away. Despite astronomical odds, Jim vows to find him - or die trying. Joined by an elderly preacher, a guilt-ridden scientist and an ex-prostitute, Jim sets out on a cross-country rescue mission. Together they must battle both the living and the living dead...and the even greater evil that awaits them at the end of their journey.

Part of a trilogy; part two is City of the Dead, followed by The Dead Sea.

Thanks, Oregonchick. I gotta say that the Gathering Dead remains one of my favorite zombie books. Stephen Knight can flat-out creep you out while at the same time leave you breathless from the action. Airborne zombies! Great. Something else to what out for in the Zombie Apocalypse.

If you are a fan of Z.A. Recht, I think I wrote earlier that the final book in his trilogy (draft written before his death and edited by another writer) is coming out. I noticed on Amazon that it now has a release date this summer and is entitled The Survivors. I have preordered it and I am interested to see how this saga turns out. I heard the author was only 24 when he died but I do not know the details but for anyone to die that young is a tragedy.

I read the ones by brian keene, he is a strange one that author, mixes fantasy, horror and religion all in one, very damn depressing also. honestly i have to give him a thumbs down on his writing style alone let alone the stories

Stephen Knight, the author of The Gathering Dead, sent me an e-mail letting me know that the sequel to The Gather Dead should be out in Kindle form the end of April. He is a heck of a nice guy and just sent me a message thanking me for the review I wrote on Amazon. Also, his novella Left With the Dead was really compelling and a must for fans of the Gathering Dead.

Also, check out Zombie Dawn by J.A. Crowley. This guy really gets it and is likely a member of "our" community. His characters have an affinity for big guns and blowing up zombies, so a good time is had by all. Really intense action and evovling zombies makes this one interesting. Another interesting book was Soldier On by Shawn Chesser. Good stuff.

I am almost finished with Risen by Gareth Woods and I have to rate this as one of the best zombie books I have ever read. Written in a style like Day By Day Armageddon, the protagonist tells his story through journal entries. This is much harder than you might think and the author carries it off with great skill. This is a thoroughly polished work and has none of the annoying typo and edit issues common to the genre.

Here are a couple more for your reading pleasure:

1. NiGHTMARE-Z by S.A. Lowry - two brothers find themselves caught in a world over ran by the dead. Abandoned by the government and left to die, one brother must escape Iraq with his squad by all means necessary in order to make it back to his family located in Fort Hood Texas. The other brother, whom was introduced to Z day in transit back to Texas on R&R leave from Iraq, must escape Atlanta International Airport with an unexpected group of strangers in order to keep his promise to his brother and save his extended family at all costs.

2. Yesterday's Gone: Season One Platt, Sean, Wright, David - Survivors of the end of the world must fight the undead or something like zombies.

Thanks, Capt. Rob, for the recommendation for Nightmare Z. I ordered and have it on my to read list. Apparently, one of our members here (Stickhorse) is friends with the author.

I just finished Terra Necro by Michael Crockett and despite the odd name and the use of "clip" instead of "magazine" (pet peave, sorry) I have to rank it up there as one of my favorite zombie books. The action is fierce and the survivors interesting, but the coolest part of the book is the unexpected twists the author tosses in with regard to the origins of the plague and ongoing struggle of Good vs. Evil. Check it out.

I hate to be argumentative (okay, not really - I actually LIKE arguing), but I was REALLY disappointed by NiGHTMARE-Z. It's not particularly fresh in terms of its plot - it's a mashup of other zombie tales and TEOTWAWKI stories - and, at least in the Kindle edition, it is in terrible, terrible need of editing.

Among the things that drove me crazy:

* The author wrote in the present tense ("Andrew grabs his bag") instead of past tense ("Andrew grabbed his bag"), like most professional authors do. This led to some very muddled verb tense agreement.

* Misspellings that should have been caught and corrected while still in Word: visbilly vs. visibly, definately vs. definitely, etc.

* Repeated use of the insult "deuscher" which I assume was meant to be "doucher," as in another way of calling someone a douche bag, but instead reads like a someone who maybe dislikes Germans.

* The prologue is the history of the Iraq war, but mostly just troop numbers and a few flat facts about a couple of battles... NONE of which comes into play during the entire story. It doesn't even set the scene for the individual servicemen you meet, because it's so high-level and irrelevant. Two sentences early on could have brought the reader up to speed: "The long and costly Iraq War had publicly ended and the supposed last American troops had been filmed by news crews as they crossed the border into Kuwait. Of course, that didn't take into account the 50,000 troops left behind to help the Iraqi Army and police establish control of the territory."

* Along the "totally unnecessary" lines are in-sentence explanations of every military abbreviation used. The only thing is, a lot of the abbreviations are only used once or twice, so interrupting the flow of a dialogue to say, "That's the thing with NCOs (non-commissioned officers)..." is not only unnecessary, it makes it really hard to stay with the story. A glossary at the end of the book or simply eliminating the abbreviations and using full words would have worked better.

* The author either dislikes women or has no clue how to write about them. Not only do the soldiers frequently insult each other by recommending they "use some Vagisil" (spelled in a couple of different ways, of course), the women in the story basically wait around to be yelled at and hit, and their only contributions are really being into those in-charge soldier types or trying to be everyone's counselor and mediate the peace. The author actually has one of the women request high heels and specialty moisturizing cream when he asks what supplies people need.

All that said, the author isn't the worst I've read, nor does he have bad ideas. It's just that I wish he spent a little more time on character development and LOT more time on polishing his final draft before it was published. There are companies that will edit your novel for $100-$300, and having someone look at this with a critical eye would have made the story SO much better. I hope that if S.A. Lowry writes another novel, he finds a good editor to work with or at least hires a decent copy editor to catch those errors.