Sign in to follow this  
awake

Staying safe and grey in the information world

I have to admit that i am not the most tech savvy person. I still remember building crystal radios and the introduction of 8 track tapes.

I hope this is on your radar because it is now on mine. Its called geo tagging. Geo tagging is a process of adding geographical identification to photographs, video, websites and SMS messages. It is the same as adding a 10-digit grid coordinate to everything you post on the Internet. Geotags Are automatically embedded in pictures taken with your smart phone.Most people don't know that the photos they take with their smart phone and load to the Internet have been geotagged. These pictures posted to photo sharing sites like Flickr and Picasa can also be tagged with location, but it is not an automatic function. Tagging photos with an exact location on the Internet allows random people to track your location along with other information.

This intel can establish patterns. Services like MotionX and other location-based social networking applications allow strangers to track your movements every day. If they watch someone long enough they will know exactly when and where to find that person on any given day. By tracking movements and aggregating information, strangers can determine where someone lives and works. This can be dangerous to you and your loved ones. From what i can find out the best thing to do is turn off your GPS locator on your phone.

why i dont have a smart phone...actually, i just can't figure them out, so maybe its safer that way :D

LUDDITES OF THE WORLD UNITE!!!!!!

I guess I've always known the kind of stuff that the cells pick up. Working for the Phoenix PD had some advantages. I turned off the tag "feature" as soon as I got the phone. NEVER depend on your cell phone - ALWAYS have an old fashioned land line as a backup - and remember, IF your cell phone is turned on YOU ARE BEING TRACKED! Even if no one is looking for you, the machine (cell towers and central office) knows where you are and where you've been. If you know how to ask, the machine will tell.

Remember, what you put on line anywhere (even here) never goes away. We loss some of our "grayness" in an effort to learn and to help others. I think that the urge to help may well be the ultimate salvation of humanity. Gray is good and needful; we must guard against becoming so gray that we cease to exist.

It is always tough, helping others is human. Scrooge was actually pretty gray and totally alone. Christmas is here and I guess I'm thinking of those who are thinking of themselves, especially now. We mess ourselves up and are less able to survive if we try to be something we are not.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm in a mood right now. My apologies.

Gray is good and needful; we must guard against becoming so gray that we cease to exist.

Capt. "....becoming so gray that we cease to exist." is very similar to being invisible. When I can go to town, buy supplies, see people that I know and they do not see me (as confirmed by a followup phone call), that is a very liberating exercise. When invisible, I am free to change the focus from objective to subjective (that is when Meditation is possible).

To me, the real danger comes when one falsely feels invisible and thus, don't believe that they are being observed (Think back to being on patrol in Nam. It was Charlies back yard. He usually knew more about our location than we did about his. As you know, not understanding that that simple fact was dangerous.)

Edited by LivingGray

I'm notorious for not taking my phone with me. There are several reasons for that. Initially, it was just the idea that when I'm not at home I'm out and busy, leave me alone. Then it become, well yeah I have a phone but it just aint that important that I be contacted 24/7, especially as it is usually blatantly unnecessary random thought style phone calls that I get (yeah friends have odd priorities sometimes). Now it's, I just plain forgot as I don't usually carry it, over here land lines abound for cheap public use so push come to shove I can reach you. This method is also a saving as I can't feel the need to phone all about the naked guy trying to get on the bus (true story, I laughed, bus driver didn't) I'm not a luddite just somewhat slack about contact-ability. This is also supported by the fact that I'm never far from those who would try to contact me directly.

The above issues I guess are genuine concerns for many but I gotta feel sorry for any techie investigator trying to track my movements as in most regards I spend 24/7 at home as a crippled deaf mute, ha!!

In regards to Internet access, as many of you may already know, in China there is not the free reign of internet that one takes for granted at home. Many expats here would come close to loosing all sanity if they didn't have a VPN to access social networking. They also are under the misguided belief that said VPN is a cloak of invisibility for the internet, a great sales line tactic used by VPN companies. I wouldn't count on that one bit, and LEO knows the best way to send one up the river is to give the impression that everything is grooooovy while recording everything for use against you and accomplices. Only if something is important for me to eyeball, I use a proxy to access forbidden sites making sure I never use a login on said proxy, that's a straight up security no- no. Login via proxy is 100% insecure.

There is always the balance equation going on re-prohibition and my location. As a non-native with every desire to stay with family in my host country I must maintain obedience to the law. Nobody looses right of residence quicker than those breaking laws, even if that is just to chat to friends on some crappy web site. Regardless of how ridiculous a law seems, it's a law. Breaking it will have a consequence, however unlikely it may seem to you. I've lost contact with many of my old friends which initially really bummed me out, however I now see this in the vain that true friends recognize and adapt to your needs for change.

Regardless of how ridiculous a law seems, it's a law. Breaking it will have a consequence, however unlikely it may seem to you.

Extremely well said, sir. I've noticed that we've begun to loose our 'human' contact skills in deference to 'internet' contact skills. There are folks who are literally addicted to texting and social networks. I find that very sad. It was in one of Asimov's books (one of the Robot series) where the inhabitants of a planet had used their robots to ensure they never had to physically be with anyone else. The human (well, sorta human) population was rapidly becoming extinct.

While humans need to be with people, we've isolated ourselves to the point of insecurity. Then to avoid being alone with ourselves (one is forced to think and face reality when alone) we use our interconnected world to constantly talk. Strange creatures.

(one is forced to think and face reality when alone).

Capt. You describe a state of being that is often difficult to attain - and also desirable if one spends any time meditating. What I have found is that once we can "think and face reality" we can resolve the unresolved issues in our personal history. Then Universal Creative Energy flows and life begins to make sence.

For me, finding personal alone time while also keeping up with relationship time and life-maintenance time is often a challenge.