Sign in to follow this  
femvet59

Canning meat - HELP

OK, I' very interested in learning to can meat, but it scares the hell out of me. Screw this up and it's major trouble. I got the canning book, but it left me with a bunch of questions. Anybody here who has actually done it and would be willing to guide me??

Canning meat puts my stomach on edge.
Go Spam!!.. jk...femvet59, i checked out snakes link above and must say its a very informative site, i just got a pressure canner myself and will be trying it out shortly .I also just bought the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.. its only like 8 bucks at OSH..

My bride has done some meat canning successfully. Snake is right, Jackie Clay is a good source. We'll try to answer questions or help as we can. My first suggestion is for your first couple of items, use small batches and use them for test purposes. The chili we did had several cans that had to go into the fridge since we filled them too full and they boiled over and spoiled the seal. The others are what NASA calls "fleet leaders". They sit in storage, dated, and we periodically open one and verify it is still good. So far, everything has been good but it is a solid check of your process.

Again, Jackie Clay is a great source.

I just buy Keystone brand meat (beef and chicken) that is in one pound cans, commercially made and has a shelf life of about 2 years. I buy it whe it goes on sale at grocery store. You can also buy something similar on-line at Lehman's. This is a general store in Ohio's Amish country that has a website and a mail catalog!!! Fantastic store/website/catalog!!!! I have bought items from them on the web before.

However; I am just getting into canning myself and am going to get some schooling from the family master canner; my wife's 92 year old grandmother. She still lives on her farm 2 hours away and tends a 1/2 acre garden. Don't pass up on a family resource like her if you have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always wipe the top of the jar before you put the lid on.

you will be fine,average deer 25 to 30 quarts,so its a full days job, 28 quarts( 4x7) at 90 minutes each time= 360minutes pluss the time to load and unload and get your heat back up to the poundage you need.so prep your meat the nite before and have it ready.

Its worth every minute..

I looooove me my spam.

Yep, so do I actually. The reason for the canning is so that you can preserve meat AFTER TSHTF and the Spam is no longer available. We buy grain fed beef directly from the rancher. Most of it we freeze until we eat it but now we can also can it. Nothing wrong with buying the pre-canned stuff but it's good to be able to do your own.

femvet59 what would you like to know? I regularly can moose, deer and trout and haven't had a problem. I use a Presto weighted gauge canner.

If you have the Ball Blue Book it's about the best guide out there.

Always use a pressure canner for low acid foods like meats and fish, make sure everything is clean and the meat fresh, follow the processing times exactly and make sure you use the proper pressure for your altitude.

Use the correct size jars called for in the recipe and make sure you headspace according to the recipe you're using. If your recipe calls for pint jars and you use quarts it affects the canning times so you're better off to use the sizes recommended.

Follow the directions for your particular canner and make sure you inspect the canner O-ring prior to every use. It's a good idea to keep spare O-rings on hand.

So in a nutshell, if you follow a good guide like the Ball Blue Book of Canning, the pressure canner manufacturers directions and the proper pressure and canning times for your altitude you won't have any problems canning meats safely.

Hope this helps.

I've seen some canned meat online that has a ten year shelf life. Yoders was one but they seem to be having trouble filling orders. I have a supply of spam but was looking for something with a longer shelf life that wasn't freeze dried or dehydrated. It is expensive tho. I would like to start canning too my grandparents used to do it all the time

I'm a happy camper! Just found this website "canning usa", which shows in great detail how to can just about anything. Patte anyone??? Yummy!!!seriously, I feel a lot more comfortable now that I'll be able to do this. I'm especially interested in canning complete meals and they have tons of recipes and videos.

Femvet59.

Jars!!!!!!!! start as soon as the yard sales start to happen and get as many as you "can" I have at least 100 extra that I begged and found(I carry a canning lid with me to make sure it fits and check the lip for nicks).Many LDS and Amish stores sell the lids at great prices.I love the wide mouth because you are able to fit whole meals in.

JMHO

I'm a happy camper! Just found this website "canning usa", which shows in great detail how to can just about anything. Patte anyone??? Yummy!!!seriously, I feel a lot more comfortable now that I'll be able to do this. I'm especially interested in canning complete meals and they have tons of recipes and videos.

backwoods home magazine has an author called Jackie clay her articles on canning are great

she hits a lot of subjects on homesteading that I think all will find interesting.

under "Ask Jackie Clay" here is the web site

http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/askjackieonline.html

my mother in law cans venison regularly, learned it at an early age and i will be learning it as well. from what ive watched her can, make sure to have a wet sponge to wipe the rim of the jar down so its clean when you put the lid and ring on or it will not seal properly. btw my experience has been canning beans, relish, and a hot dog sauce. we tried a new way of making jelly this year using concentrated juice but i dont know how well that one set up. i dont eat jelly. our canned venison is wonderful though.

Spam now comes in different new flavors now. They also have turkey spam. Have not tried them yet. I still can not get over the memories of "C" ration spam or another favorite, you could not trade this stuff off even if you taped a $5.00 bill to it, ham and lima beans. MREs much better.