Sign in to follow this  
warrior7r

Jerking and Salting meat

Warrior7r,

I copied this here from the original thread: thought it was good information.

Capt Bart

There is a pretty comprehensive book called Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas that also covers primative curing it is a great book that covers a-z including distributers basic and advanced recipes and cures and canning meat. it is one of my most valued and used books so much so i have two copies one is in my bug out bag.

Edited by Capt Bart
added note explaining why copied.

IHopeThatitsZombies requested a thread on salting and jerking meat. It does occur to me that this is a good skill for all preppers to have and we don't always think about passing it along. If you want a to add stuff about dehydration and preserving other foods, I'd suggest putting that in the long term food storage thread ( http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?307-Long-term-food-storage ).

Anyone with experience jerking or salting meat or with questions, please do so here.

Anyone with experience jerking or salting meat or with questions, please do so here.

Making jerky is kind of like making soup - every recipe has it's own flavor. Over the years (I'm 71 - I've been down this road for a while) I have thrown out more experiments than I have kept. With most recipies the final product is very salty - not good for Survival because it increases thirst.) You need to do a lot of experimenting to find something that you like (a big advantage to having a freezer full of Venison.)

My final recipe is as follows:

Cut the meat into 1/4 inch strips.

For the brine mix the following:

1 Cup Morton Tender Quick cure

1 Cup Fructose Sugar (Fructose has a better flavor than Sucrose or regular sugar - I get it at a Health Food store).

1 Cup of Grade B Maple Syrup (Grade B has a much stronger flavor than the light flavor of Grade A that you buy in the store, I get it right from a Syrup maker - it's the stuff that's left in the bottom of the cooker when they are finished making syrup.

3 QTS of water

Put the meat in the brine for 24 hours (keep it in the refrigerator and turn strips over every 2 to 4 hours). Then remove from brine and rinse quickly (just to remove any excess surface cure).

Put meat strips in a food dehydrator until they are leathery.

Put dired strips in the smoke (Shagbark Hickory bark is best for jerky) for a minimum of an hour (how long in the smoker is a matter of personal taste. I let mine smoke for 3 hours - but then, I like a strong smoke flavor.)

Put dried, smoked strips in storage bags and put in the frige to cool. For long term storae I use a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer.

Edited by LivingGray