Sign in to follow this  
femvet59

Solar generator & solar oven

I've been checking into the solar generator, but haven't made a purchase yet (1800), anybody have any experience with them? I really like the idea that they're quiet, no fuel, easy to set up. I'm a mechanical idiot. Would appreciate feeback/ideas.

I'm also seriously consideing a solar oven, up here we have LOTS of sun.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/

Since 1986, SUN OVENS have been being used around the globe to provide true solar cooking to countries around the globe. Even though it is called an oven, food can be boiled, steamed, roasted or baked at cooking temperatures of 360° F / 182° C, making it ideal for cooking a wide variety of dishes. This ruggedly built solar appliance weighs only 21 pounds, and can fold up like a suitcase to be carried with the integrated handle.

The GLOBAL SUN OVEN® can be set up for use or taken down for storage in a matter of seconds. The reflectors literally fall into place at an angle that allows you to maximize the power of the sun. The reflectors are made of highly polished, mirror-like anodized aluminum that can be cleaned quickly and easily with glass cleaner, and they will never oxidize or rust.

There is never any need to worry about your food spilling in a GLOBAL SUN OVEN®. While cooking, your food rests on a shelf that self adjusts to always stay level as you refocus., and a self-contained leveling leg can be readily adjusted to choose from 9 different angled positions to allow for correct alignment to the sun throughout the day.

A thick batt of non-toxic insulation retains heat. Food cooked in the sun and left in the oven will remain hot for hours. Cold air is held out allowing the GLOBAL SUN OVEN® to be used on sunny days year around regardless of the ambient temperature. A built in thermometer allows you to see the temperature at a glance.

$269.00 pluss frieght..

Matt, that is the oven I'm thinking about. Have you any PERSONAL experience with it? Up here in NO. CA it gets very hot in the summer and I like the idea of not having to heat up the kitchen. I also read in one review that it just needs sunny days, not neccessarily hot. Like today, in the middle of winter we have sun. Plus, it sounds perfect for power outages.

No I have not used it,cost at this point.But they are being used by missionaries all over Africa to reduce the chance of "rape" when the women go to the woods to get wood.

The other "stove" being used is the rocket stove,small amount of wood use and portable,they are easy to build out of a couple metal containers.

I beleve you have plenty of sun to use the stove if I remember California (Davis 1969).

Hope this helps.

We have 2 ( 2 is 1 and 1 is none) and they ARE effective, even in very cool (my kids up north say it never gets cold in Houston) weather. Cooking a Pork and Rice dish in a single dish in the oven takes a while BUT I've never had rice taste that good from any other way of cooking! If there is sun, they cook. Kinda tough to do an early morning breakfast of course, but lunch and supper are a slam dunk.

http://www.sunoven.com/

My solar generator is a solutions from science http://www.solutionsfromscience.com/?cat=65 1.8 KW for about a dollar a watt. http://www.solutionsfromscience.com/?p=822

Plugs into the wall while the grid is up and plugs into the solar panel when the grid goes down. It will put out the 1800 watts for a solid four hours, less output for longer, in the dark. You can use it for lights over night and during the day run the fridge and freezer for a couple of hours to cool everything way down AND recharge for the night and charge batteries and cell phones etc. Won't run a stove (will do a microwave) or heater. Will run my portable, one room AC. Note, only one big ticket power user at a time.

It is also reasonably portable so I can take it to the field for Ham radio field day or to run an electric chain saw or water pump.

I've been well fed and very pleased with both units. There are quite a few sources for solar cooking as well. My experience with ours has been very good.

Thanks, Capt., that's great. You've made up my mind, solar oven it is. I'm still iffy on a solar generator, mostly because of the cost factor. I have been thinking about purchasing a chest freezer to stock up on meat, since projections are for big increases this coming year. Wanted the generator in case of power outage. Total cost depending on systems 2-2.5K. So now I'm considering learning to can meat, a skill I need anyway and a lot cheaper in the long run. Have never done it before and need HELP!!!!

femvet59

I am playing with a very small system and I am getting the basics down and learning so I can go bigger

I want to know so I can work on and trouble shoot my own system and figure what all I can run

If we had all the money in the world it would not be an issue poor people have poor ways LOL

look at getting a Fresnel lens look them up a large one will produce 2000 degrees

boils water in less than 2minutes melts glass and can be used to distill water in a stainless steel still

copper would melt or you can use indirect heat as in heat a steel plate under and let the radiant heat

boil or cook this method has no smoke if used right and as long as there is sun it will heat ..

solar as matt101 stated backwoods solar I would just build a small recharging unit less than 150 watts

and do not buy one panel because if one goes bad and its all you got your done and have an extra

charge controller that has the ability to hook up a generator also so long duration of low light you can

still charge and run small appliances you also need a few inverter's these systems that have one panel one

inverter and one controller and one battery are screwed if something goes haywire or bad and its all junk.

you have to understand that a battery will only take so much current so fast the batteries I would use

are OPTIMA yellow or blue top last longer and can be mounted any way possible and last many years

and charge fast you need to have backwoods help you build / engineer a system with the backup

redundant type system {as in do not put all your eggs in one basket}

I am not trying to be an ass {I are one} kidding this is for someone trying to figure out some of the

very basic terminology as I have a small system a large system is more complicated

Solar panel = converts light to electrical power are made to generate different voltages

12 volt is the simplest

charge controller = maintains battery/s to peak charge without overcharging or damaging batteries

also allows use of multiple panels and other means of power like sail boat wind turbines and fuel

powered generators in tandem keeps your battery bank topped off...

Deep cycle marine battery engineered to deliver maximum durability, reliability, and performance

holds stores electrical power.

inverter converts DC {direct current like batteries and solar cells} to

AC {alternating current as in home power}voltage.

I am going to limit my AC power requirements because pf monetary restrictions also

I do not want to put all my eggs in one basket.

start with a small system and see how you like it remember that you still need to use energy efficient

lights and equipment so you maximize your time with power otherwise you lose out on the value.

12 volt LED lights and fans radios and tv and dvd players think of running a motor home

to operate lager things like AC's, heaters and dryers takes so much power you will find it is costly

to me you actually pay up front for the power on a large system in other words to run the big items

divide the amount by monthly bill and you see what I mean.

A small system is more money friendly but is for minor comforts if your in an area where wind is

prevalent a small sail boat type wind generator are inexpensive and work 24-7 as long as there is wind