Sign in to follow this  
kuzmajr

Which BOB?

I have just started viewing and thinking about making a BOB, I am trying to decide on what type of bag, my cousin has a ALICE pack and likes it and my uncle has a Level 3 Lv3 Mobile assault pack back pack and he likes it too. I have tried reading about each and I guess it is a personel preference. Any thoughts? I was thinking the large ALICE pack b/c I have two kids and wife to think about, but the Lv3 pack has the MOLLE attachments and would allow for more options, I think. Also the price of both will not break the bank, (both below $60) need to keep cost down b/c wife thinks I am crazy for doing this, she will thank me later WTSHTF

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

I would take an inventory of everything you plan on packing and just set it out on the living room floor or wherever it will all fit. Then decide which pack the stuff will best fit into. However, you must remember that bugging out is only half of the solution and if not followed by a bug out location could cause an even larger problem.

Also, if one pack just fits you better than the other, go for that one. Also, when deciding what to pack in the bag, try to have everything in the bag serve two (preferably three) or more purposes so as to save weight and space.

One thing you can do is go for the big ALICE pack as well as a MOLLE vest of some kind. One trick you can pull is tell your wife you are going to start playing paintball and buy one of the paintball made MOLLE vests. I personally use one of them for paintball (cant for the life of me remember the name. It's made by Tippmann and I think the branch/label is Spec Ops) and it holds everything I need. Just strip off the pod holders on the back to make room for your pack and add appropriate packs to the front and you are all set.

Hope this helped,

Nick

hey ed, just my thoughts on this.......

if it were me, i would get everybody their own bags. why? because it gets everybody involved and hopefully the kids are at an age where this can be taught to them as a life style type of thing. kids can just use a standard bookbag of sorts. being taught at a young age to prep and to think outside the box can be a very valuable skill to learn that will set them up for later in life kinda like teaching them to handle money.

hey ed, just my thoughts on this.......

if it were me, i would get everybody their own bags. why? because it gets everybody involved and hopefully the kids are at an age where this can be taught to them as a life style type of thing. kids can just use a standard bookbag of sorts. being taught at a young age to prep and to think outside the box can be a very valuable skill to learn that will set them up for later in life kinda like teaching them to handle money.

Agreed. Everyone should have their own bag. Even a simple day pack that contains an EDC collection for the kids. If they get separated from the group, they have something to survive on until found. Get them used to ALWAYS have a kit with them. It is a good lesson for them to learn.

FWIW I have a large Alice pack. I paid $35 shipped with frame. It's strong as heck and comfortable. The weakness is that it sways a bit and doesn't fit as close to your back as most would like.

I molle 2 assault pack , well I ordered one off ebay for $35 shipped too actually but it's in transit so I can't directly tell you about it. I will say that the molle system of being able to add pouches and whatnot is fantastic. You can stil do the same thing with the alice pack, it's just not as versatile though.

FWIW as I understand it the molle 2 assault pack is the frameless pack, that attaches to the molle rucksack, which is the large pack with the internal frame(I guess the large alice pack equivalent).

I've only put 45 pds in the Alice pack and taht's about all I can reasonably handle.