Sign in to follow this  
nickanator8

The "Everything Survival" Get Home Bag

If this isn't a ridiculous predicament then I don't know what is. I am currently attending college in Chicago, right in the heart of the city, and am living on campus. Home is over two hundred miles away plus an expected extra hundred mile detour around Cabrini Green (I am "that scrawny white kid"). I have no transportation methods other than my own two feet, though I do posses the theoretical knowledge of how to hot-wire a car (not really my first plan of action either, seeing as that would be considered steeling/looting). I have a small B.O.B. packed but I doubt it will be enough to get me all the way home in a timely fashion. My B.O.B. includes the following:

140ish feet of 550 paracord

water purification tablets

2 pair undies

2 pair socks

hat

"utility" vest

zip lock baggies

compass

2-3 metal water bottles

magnesium fire starter

waterproof matches

lighter

sewing kit

dental floss

dust masks

ear plugs

deck of cards

duct tape

chap stick

12 oz of MnM's

1lb roasted almonds

10oz craisins

3oz beef jerky

notebook

pencil

survival knife

Leatherman Skelitool multitool (spellcheck says all of those are wrong, haha)

camo foam camouflage wrap

8 bottles of water

army surplus survival/E&E manual

6x8 blue tarp

maybe a few other odds and ends I missed.

Now just to get an idea of technical skills I am an Eagle Scout and have camped hundreds of times, however, I have never been put into a survival situation and the only animal I have ever gutted is a fish (it was really tasty). My other dilemma is that I would feel much better if I had some kind of firearm packed in there, but as I am sure you can imagine, weapons of any kind are not allowed on campus (the survival knife included). I was thinking about purchasing an AR-7 and keeping it torn down and hidden until the SHTF, but I keep wondering if the risk is worth the reward.

Anyway, the purpose of this posting is to ask if anyone has suggestion on my B.O.B. and advice on the AR-7.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Quick Edit: I am 19 just to put that into perspective.

Edited by nickanator8

That is a very good start to a bob. First off about the gun issue, it is my understanding that you can not own a firearm in chicago, plus you are on a college campus so at this point I would not suggest it, I don't think the risk is worth the reward for you at this time. Possible issues with the law and or getting kicked off campus or school. Skinning and gutting most animals are about the same procedure. I'm sure you could google it and have about ten pages worth of information on how to field dress most animals, would take up less space than a book.

Thanks for the reply. As for gun ownership, you can own a long rifle and shotgun, but there are some lame hoops you have to jump through. That does not matter, however, because the more I think about it the less the gun seems like a good idea. Also, it is not the preparing of the animal that i worry about, I have enough "armchair survivalist" knowledge to at least wing it. What I worry about is getting enough food for the trip. I obviously don't have enough or even the correct food for the journey in my bag, so I will have to supplement my diet along the way. I guess what I am really asking for is advice on how to get those calories I will inevitably need.

One thing I have is Mayday Emergency caloire bars. They come in a variety of calorie options, mine are 2400 calories. They are good for five years and are fairly cheap, I believe I got mine on sale for like 8 bucks a bar? You can also pick up protein bars at grocery stores as well as weight lifting protein powder like whey. They have high protein contents and if you don't want to take up space in you BOB with the big jug you could put whatever amount into ziplock bags. Just a couple of suggestions

Thank you for the suggestions, I will take them into consideration as I continue to modify the pack.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on take-down bows as a replacement to the now obsolete firearm idea? Anything I should look for or avoid? I have done some archery in my time and would be willing to put in the practice to get good if it is a viable option.

Suggestions?

Dont forget about some cash. At least $20.

Also, have you concidered a temporary Bug-In? Til the panic dies down some? Being from Chicago myself, I know the city and area well. In an event with civil unrest chicago is a very big and dangerous place to be alone and out in the open in. You could assume the roads would be littered with abandoned vehicles. Chicago has a massive urban sprawl of around 150 miles in any direction from downtown. So this means many days and nights of hoofing it through some potentially very aggressive areas. Add to it that Chicago is very racially segregated. Have you ever taken the skyway into Indiana? I wouldnt want to be a "scrawny white kid" walking through that in an event.

I would definately make it my first priority to get as far away from the city as i could. But I would have to look at a plan B if propper transportation could nt be obtained. Walking through 100 to 150 miles of congested emotional panic wouldnt be something Id want to do.

nick first off, welcome to the forum.

secondly congrats on the Eagle Scout Badge too. (something to be said about that)

look into the bars mentioned above here. dont over think things here at first. your scout training and manuals should have plenty of info for you. reread them.

get you a good quality pocket knife or two. nobody should be w/o a solid pocket knife at the ready when its needed, and the skills to use it. at this point a nice good quality bike could be your BOV as well.

Yay, another Chicagoin!

Drop, I am more than willing to do a kind of "bug-in," but due to my campus structure I doubt I will have to worry much. I am more concerned in the event where I am forced to bug out. One idea my dad suggested is bug out by boat, but alas, I have none and all the boats are in dry docks so I would be unable to steal one if worse came to worse, which is depressing because I love sailing. :( Anyway, to give you an idea of the route i will have to take, I am just north of the Loop and need to get through Indiana, probably without a car.

Also, I do have a small stockpile of cash. The exact amount fluctuates from time to time, but never drops below $20

EDIT: also, I kind of want to be able to bug out before a disaster actually strikes, be able to predict the crazy before it shows up and hopefully miss the tidal wave of stuff hitting the fan. Ideally, if I could buy a train ticket home that would be the best possible scenario.

-----------------------------

Thanks, Rick,

I always carry my leatherman multitool wherever I go as well as a second, smaller knife that I use for situations where the blade could be damaged (it's a cheap little thing but gets the job done in a pinch). I am confident with my scout skills but that Boy Scout slogan of "be prepared" keeps poking me with the millions of different scenarios that could pop up (I am a writer as well so these things come naturally). The idea of having a ranged weapon of some kind is just my idea of an insurance policy: not necessary, but nice to have if the situation comes along.

Edited by nickanator8

yes it is wise to keep your eyes and ears open and if things are on the verge of SHTF then I would go and get somewhere where you can better asses the situation but also make sure you are as prepared as you can be if you have to find a way out.

Nick,

I was in Chicago in winter once ... Good Grief, I don't think I've ever been that miserable before or since! I did not see a space blanket in your pack. Some way to improve your cold survival would be a good idea I would think. Remember, if TSHTF 10 miles a day worth of travel may be optimistic. Between avoiding unfriendly areas, bad weather, and just "bad karma" you may walk 50 miles but your progress toward you destination may be under 10 miles. Think broken field running in football.

As to a firearm, or other 'difficult' items, have you considered a cache, perhaps in a storage shed, just outside the city limits? It is a recurring expense but it solves a large set of problems. It would also let you GOOD with a light, easy to conceal kit and pick up the rest of what you need at the cache.

You do NOT want to get crosswise with the law - you can't prep from inside a jail and it would really mess up the rest of your life.

Nick,

I'm assuming from your location and what you've said about your route that you're going to be trying to get back to Michigan or Northern Indiana. The good news for you is that once you get clear of the "armpit" area you're going to be able to travel through an area that is not too densely populated. There is an abundance of wooded areas and your eagle scout skills will serve you well (I'm somewhat familiar with the area because I live in W. Michigan and my wife went to college in Palos Heights - I've made the trip a LOT).

The Capt. (as always) makes some good points. The storage unit would be great if you can afford it and you definitely want to make sure you are Kosher with the law. The Capt. is also right about adding to your preparations something to help you deal with the weather (especially this time of year). The Chicago area is nasty cold this time of year, quite windy, and there usually isn't much snow that you could make a shelter / wind break with. A space blanket or emergency bivy added to your tarp would go a long way.

I have a similar (though not as extreme) a situation as you. I commute about 40 miles one way to school. I've had to figure out what I can carry with me that will help me make it home in the case where I had to hoof it back the couple of days it would take me. One solution I've settled on for help in gathering food is a sling shot. I'm decent enough a shot with it I could take a squirrel or rabbit, its small, cheap, and is unlikely to cause a ruckus if found. I would prefer to carry a concealed handgun, but -like you- school rules do not allow it (nor does my budget until I graduate). Ammo for it is as easy as a dollar store pack of marbles or even rocks.

One other thing, I saw a compass on your list but no sort of map. A decent road map (the kind you can get at the rest area) will help you find your general location / direction. Adding a topo map (if you know how to read them) might be helpful too.

All the best!

Edited by murjd17

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Capt, thanks for reminding me about the space blanket. I have traveled to Chicago in the winter before and it was what I would imagine Hell would feel like if it were cold instead of hot. I will be supplementing it ASAP.

murjd, thank you for reminding me about the slingshot. It fit's my budget much more nicely than the bow or really anything else. Any brands I should look out for or does it matter much? Also, my dad suggests ball bearings as ammo, but what should I shoot for practice, seeing as I will probably be stuck indoors most of the rest of the school year.

Now that I think about it your hoofing distance is pretty long. I don't think I have even thought about going that distance on foot before. I wouldn't think you would be able to carry enough caloires to go that far so make sure you have means for catching food or be prepared to scavenage in abanded places. That's one good thing about the midwest is that you don't have to go very far at all before you run into a farm house, my brother use to say you can't get lost around here because of all the farm houses. And a good set of warm clothes in case it happens in the winter cause man it can get nasty cold around here

i just got this bivy sack , its orange. $17 but doesnt tear it stretches and repackable, comes rolled like a sleeping bag.

the $35 one has better seams and flaps to alllow the bag to ventilate

space blankets are better than nothin but theres a reason they cost 2 bucks

they rip and shred

the orange brand sheets are like $7

survival bars? they dont make you thirsty water is 8 pounds/gallon and you need lots might wanna get a filter or water tabs and koolaid

All right, guys, bivey is on the list of "must get" right next to the maps, space blanket, and wrist rocket. I understand that my hoofing distance is extremely long, but I am an avid hiker and feel I could easily put a good distance toward home each day. One of the reasons I purposefully don't have a million food items is because that would require a larger backpack. As far as I have seen, all relatively large or even medium size packs are military surplus. My problem is because I am in a urban environment, if I start walking around with military gear I become a target for numerous groups of people. If I can stay light weight and look like a civilian as long as possible then I fit the "grey man" description longer. Once I hit more rural areas I will be able to scavenge to supplement my diet. I will be adding power bars and protein powder to my pack, but only enough to keep myself supplemented.

I am kind of banking heavily on my survival skills, maybe a little too much, but I feel I have what it takes to make it home, even if I am a bit exhausted when I get there.

I like the cache idea and may proceed with it, but at the moment it is not something I can afford. Also, slipping back into guns for a moment, if I had a handgun that I kept disassembled in my bag that I would then re-assemble in the case of an emergency, would that be a possible option? My reason for asking is because if someone happened to stumble upon it all they would see is a pile of parts, not a fully functional firearm. This would be something I would do way down the line, if ever, because of cost, but in any case, opinions anyone?

Thanks for the link, Rick, but the pack will come after all the other bases are covered, or once I run out of space in my existing pack. Also, it's kinda expensive, but there are some great thrift stores in Chicago that I will be combing for just such an item, you would not believe the stuff people donate, let alone the price of the items at the store.

Nick,

Just an afterthought. Since I shattered my heel 18 months ago I've been walking with a cane (well, since I got off the crutches). It occurs to me that a walking staff would be a great aid for a longer trip (tent pole, walking aid, defensive staff, brush mover (got snakes?) and so forth). It would also not look 'military'; could be a ski pole, or even two, and folks would see a skier out walking. Just a though.

As to a disassembled gun - probably not. If you have all the parts, or even most of the parts, the powers that be will call it a gun. Heck, the BATFE says that if the only firearm part you have is a fully automatic sear (the part that lets a gun shoot full auto) you OWN a machine gun and must have all the proper paper etc.

I would check with an attorney (remember if you pay him, attorney client privilege applies; if not he can talk to the authorities) before I did anything that might be considered illegal. What you do on advice of consul should not send you to jail but in the Chicago area, I'd bet the answer is NO.

I'd also suggest you walk part of the route in the winter just to get the feel for how long it is going to take. I'm a southern Texas boy and no fan of really cold weather but I suspect that walking in those winters will be really slow going, especially since you can not let yourself start sweating.

It sounds like you are making good headway in a tough situation and I don't want to be discouraging. You have serious problems to overcome but you are making gains. A thought just popped into my usually empty brain. If there is a gun club or camping club between you and your destination, it might make sense to visit and maybe join it. Having a friend at the 1/3 to 2/3 mark could be the difference between a difficult trip and an impossible trip. Just a thought.

Thanks, Capt, I have actually been looking around for a gun club nearby and think I may have found just such a place. One thing I thought of is if I make my bug out route along there and keep enough spare cash on hand, I could buy a gun (if any are left) as I am skipping town. Not sure if there are waiting periods so I'll have to get right on that.

Oh, and I am about $20 away from getting a wrist rocket. :) Can't wait to test it out on some pop cans.

Thanks, Capt, I have actually been looking around for a gun club nearby and think I may have found just such a place. One thing I thought of is if I make my bug out route along there and keep enough spare cash on hand, I could buy a gun (if any are left) as I am skipping town. Not sure if there are waiting periods so I'll have to get right on that.

Oh, and I am about $20 away from getting a wrist rocket. :) Can't wait to test it out on some pop cans.

Good news on the rocket! Some clubs let you store your firearm at the club. Up in your neck of the woods, it might even be common. It is the law in some European countries. You might also check out that option. That way, if gun sales are banned, you are just collecting your property, not buying one of those nasty gun thingies.

You can get a sling shot that you can use arrows in. It had a piece made to the front to hold the arrow. I seen one on Dave Cantabury's website. Pathfinders school I think is the name of it. They have arrows that break apart in 3 pieces. All the parts are really easy to make if you do any kind of work like that. I do and plan on making the parts foe my sling shot. You can buy marbles at wal mart to go in the sling shot. Practice is all it takes. I hit the target 8 out of 10 times with mine. I you steel balls to hunt with and can put one through a piece of roof tin at 15 yards

Thanks, guys, I plan on buying a box of buckshot as my survival ammo and some marbles as my practice stuff. Also, the sling only cost $7, which was nice. :)

Regarding the Capt's suggestion on the gun safe: great idea! Not something I will be doing immediately, but definitely something I will be thinking about.