Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Bows???

I didn't see a stringed weapon section, so I'll try it here. I apologize in advance if it's the wrong section. I'm new to bows. I've shot them once or twice before and was actually really good at it, but I know nothing about them. I actually probably won't use one often enough to justify owning one, but then again, there's always that "what if" and I've been thinking about the first 3 days of survival and not giving away my location if I need to bug out and a bow would be a little quieter than my SKS. lol. So based on that I was looking for a compound for under $100 and I bought a Martin Lynx Magnum with a hard case, a few arrows, a release, a quiver, and sights for $100. Seems to be a good bow and this one is in good condition. Are there any tips and suggestions and items I should get/try? I've noticed that you can get accessories for a bow like you can for an AR-15. lol.

I have a few concerns about your choice and purchase did you go to a bow shop to be fitted and have the bow tunned what is the draw poundage on your bow, your draw length. For $100 you could get a cheap "aquaitance bow" or an old bow first a compound bow is not a gun or grandpa's old recurve you do not just pick it up and shoot it if you do you could face disaster take it to an archery store, Cabela's or Bass Pro have them check the bow out Martin Bows have an iffy history. Second have them "fit you" and see if the bow is adaptable to you and has a draw weight exceptable for hunting. Third have them tune it, if it is safe and adaptable to fit you. do not dry fire it the string can explode and do not use wood arrows with it because the arrow can explode. I hunt with bows and competition shoot 3d and have since I was 9. after all that if you have any questions holler

Edited by warrior7r

I am also interested in the idea of bows as a bug out weapon. My reasoning is that I live on campus at a college in the middle of a city. There is a strict "no firearm" policy, but nothing about bows, therefore, I was planning on buying a takedown bow that I could use for hunting while I make my way back home (about 250ish miles away). Any suggestions?

I shot bows a little bit when i was younger but didn't keep it going. Now I wish I had and have been looking at getting a bow as well and I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it so hearing all of your suggestions will be greatly appreicated

how can the arrows explode? on impact right?

No wood arrows on a compound bow explode on the rest in your face the reason is the sudden secondary application of power about 4 inches into release when the Cams reach the let off point i.e. a compound bow lets off the felt weight when drawn it picks up that weight at the same point on release amplifing very suddenly the energy sent to the arrow a good example would be having someone roll a skateboard past you and as it passes hitting it along the same direction of travel with a 12# sledgehammer woosh...Slam!! all that energy at once is to much for a wooden arrow so like hitting a rock with a big hammer the arrow splinters in your face.

nickanator8

The bow is a good solid weapon the most accurate of bow types is the compound but it requires a lot more knowledge and thought than a firearm a compound has to truly fit you and you need to learn to operate it correctely. In the fitting a few things need to be taken into account 1st weight and length of the bow, second the draw weight you can consistently and safely handle, third the lenght of your draw, fourth sight positioning, fifth your stance and weld and last the "spine" of your arrow. To figure all of this out the best place to go is you local reputable archery shop if they're pushy or treat you like your in wal-mart leave they should feel like a teacher and a friend. DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY A COMPOUND BOW THAT YOU HAVE NOT TRIED OR HAD FITTED serious bodily injury and death can result no BS that being said a good safe bow is as expensive as a firearm the cheapest descent bow is $350 stripped no sights arrows rest ect. Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, Bear and Mission are all good solid brands with "package bows" ie ready to shoot that will fill your need for between $550 and $1400 yep good safe bows are as pricey as firearms but you get what you pay for buy a cheap bow and get hurt badly don't get proper guidanance and you can hurt or kill yourself or some one else remember it maybe a primative concept but modern bows are technologically advanced deadly weapons

Edited by warrior7r

Anything to say on recurve bows? I know compound are "better" but the simplicity of a recurve appeals to me, especially because in the situation I am in it will not be fired often and will more than likely remain unstrung under my bed or something. Also, I have always had a soft spot for recurve bows.

What are some archery places to look for? The only place I can think of off the top of my head that is local is Cabela's. Anything to say about them?

EDIT: Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm a lefty. Just sayin.

Edited by nickanator8

Cabela's is usually pretty descent although sometimes you get a clown on the recurve most of the rules still apply however you can use wooden arrows just remember when you draw a recurve you will be holding the full draw weight the whole time it takes to make target aquisition and holding it till the shot is right taxing and sometimes downright painfull there are also a lot of botched shots because af the strain ie you get the trembles than the shakes than muscle failure and no no difference for lefties they make bows for us to :D there are also a lot of small time independant archery stores that are licensed dealers I have found that these are usaully the best places to go best way to find them as a lot do not adv ertise on the net Yeh crazy I know but it is what it is) is the phone book or word of mouth from bow hunters.

Edited by warrior7r

My wife and I both shoot recurve bows. We got them for thier simplicity. Compounds have many pros, but I'm partial to the recurve. We both shoot pretty stripped down bows( Martin and PSE), no sights, solid wood , etc. cigs great practice for any style of shooting since you really need to focus on breathing, core control, etc. the main key is to get fitted for the right bow and arrow length, it makes a huge difference. Second tip is to practice and practice some more. I also like recurve for SHTF situation because of the ease of repair. A simplier design means it is easier for you to repair without sophisticated equipment.

People may underestimate a bow, until you point that SOB at them and let one loose. Our general plan is to have our. Owe with us, and pistols as a back-up.

Be sure to get a variety of tips (field, broadhead,etc) for you arrows for the different hunting needs. Also look at getting a good quiver for your arrows, extra string,etc.

I got into bowhunting 4 years ago, I bought a Martin compound, had it tuned to me and started practicing as soon as I got home. I must have fired at least 60 arrows when I got complacent. This sounds very stupid but I actually forgot to knock an arrow and I dry fired it. It scared the hell out of me. I knew the dangers of dry firing, when I realized I wasn't dead or injured/blind I put the bow down and assessed the damage. To my relief the limbs were intact and the string was in place. My silencers flew off the string but that was it. I brought it back to the shop and had a tech look it over. He said I was extremely lucky. As embarrasing as it is I tell evryone that story to make them aware. As with anything safety first. Good luck.

Warrior 7r..

great advice and YES he is COMPLETLEY CORRECT.The high tech bows are very good and you will spend some money.

I built and own a Bear fiberglass split limb that is now 28 years old and I shoot alumium arrows(2216 gamegetters full length,uncut because I have a 36inch draw)I use 3blade razor with a chicel head,My weight that i pull is set at 60lb.I have it tuned up ever year and replace the string when there is a question about it.I shoot with a leather tab and NO Release.Im kind of old school but I was taught by my BEST friend on a recurve.

It takes time to learn BUT its rewarding and its quiet. When you drop your first DEER at 25 to 35 yards ....you have a much better understanding of hunting..Ok so Im a sneek and enjoy a good ambush from a well layed out tree stand with fire lanes already cleared out 3 months before the season.

Sorry Im reliving a great day in the woods.

So if and when you do learn the propper skills its an advantage,if you ever need to hunt a man.JMHO..

Edited by 101matt

I have a few concerns about your choice and purchase did you go to a bow shop to be fitted and have the bow tunned what is the draw poundage on your bow, your draw length. For $100 you could get a cheap "aquaitance bow" or an old bow first a compound bow is not a gun or grandpa's old recurve you do not just pick it up and shoot it if you do you could face disaster take it to an archery store, Cabela's or Bass Pro have them check the bow out Martin Bows have an iffy history. Second have them "fit you" and see if the bow is adaptable to you and has a draw weight exceptable for hunting. Third have them tune it, if it is safe and adaptable to fit you. do not dry fire it the string can explode and do not use wood arrows with it because the arrow can explode. I hunt with bows and competition shoot 3d and have since I was 9. after all that if you have any questions holler

I bought the bow off a guy that needed some money. We're the same height and size so it's probably close, but yes I'm letting a guy I work with take it home to his wife who is going to go over it with me. Then we're going to go shoot. It had a 29" draw length and a 65# draw weight. I understand the dangers of dry firing and the such. I just didn't know what "accessories" to get that were functional. Thanks for the info though. I did not know that about wood arrows.

A good capture rest is a good start ensure that the sights are of good quality and have at least 4 sight pins ensure the peep sight lines up when drawn I personally suggest a wrist lanyard, and good silencers as they get older they do get brittle and fall apart but generally I am on the side of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) I do not recomend adding a lot of extras like light mounts oversized stabalizers fishing attachmenmts ect. To me it makes the bow look act and feel sloppy and a bow is difficult to travel with in the brush as it is basically the more toys and frills the more miserable you will be also when raising it up into a stand the more toys the more it will get hung up and stuck

Edited by warrior7r

I, too, have been thinking about bows. I admit that when it comes to the compound bows, I am a bit of a coward. You guys that have the experience - how about a bit of a discussion on maintaining the bow. I've been leaning toward re-curved just because the compounds look like they are more complex to maintain than I can handle. I don't mind admitting that I am incompetent when it comes to bows, so don't assume I know anything.

Thanks.

I, too, have been thinking about bows. I admit that when it comes to the compound bows, I am a bit of a coward. You guys that have the experience - how about a bit of a discussion on maintaining the bow. I've been leaning toward re-curved just because the compounds look like they are more complex to maintain than I can handle. I don't mind admitting that I am incompetent when it comes to bows, so don't assume I know anything.

Thanks.

I agree Capt. A nice Bow Basics thread with pictures would be nice.

I can do a video after the holidays if you would like covering the basics and nessesities of compounds and arrows I do not have any recurve or long bows any more but can talk you through the basics on them though it does give me a reason to get another hmmm....:rolleyes:

Well I guess it is a good thing then that with my brood I have had a lot practice explaining it to six yr olds ( almost as many as the Waltons) but I also instruct privates everyday so I can go a little lower still :rolleyes: also however not to affend but if your a cyber nerd with 0 common sense my articulation skills do not degenerate to that level sorry ;)

Yep I am feeling it today "How do you know what kind of a g*d D!*&d day it is" SMG Plumley 1st Air Cav Airborne Hooah

Looking forward to reading that new thread as well.

As someone who shoots mostly traditional, I'm partial to the re-curve. As mentioned, there is a steeper learning curve with shooting traditional (without sights, etc), but I think in a SHTF situation, they would be more reliable from a maintenance standpoint or if you had to make a bow. Different bows and crossbows all have their advantages and disadvantages.

The main points are to use what you feel comfortable with shooting, practice, practice some more, learn how to maintain it. And buy some spare bow-string, a variety of tips (broad-head, field, blunt, and maybe fishing), and some spare fletching.

OK, I'm done rambling for now.

Well I guess it is a good thing then that with my brood I have had a lot practice explaining it to six yr olds ( almost as many as the Waltons) but I also instruct privates everyday so I can go a little lower still :rolleyes: also however not to affend but if your a cyber nerd with 0 common sense my articulation skills do not degenerate to that level sorry ;)

Yep I am feeling it today "How do you know what kind of a g*d D!*&d day it is" SMG Plumley 1st Air Cav Airborne Hooah

OK, you can talk to privates. I, sir, am a COMMISSIONED OFFICER! As my MSG. friend is fond of pointing out, he has to dumb things down for me - I'm not up to the privates level!:confused: A video would be great, thank you for the offer.

I made the mistake of saying "good day" to a drill instructor once. As I recall the result was "WHAT ARE YOU, A G- D- WEATHER MAN? DROP AND GIVE ME FIVE-OH!" (In the artillery you NEVER say fifty - always five oh (or 4-oh for forty, 1-oh-oh for 100, etc.) to avoid misunderstandings. Also ask an artillery man about using repeat instead of "say again". Interesting things happen:eek:)

Edited by Capt Bart

Yes they do lots more booms. but you know they like it. Sounds like you spent some time in Sill, Capt Bart No Commissioned Officers are on par with a Spec 4 not too far down but at least they know they gotta work on it lol! Give me til after the holidays guy and I promise I'll get it out as soon as I can