Sign in to follow this  
BlackHawk

Soda Can Tab Fish Hook

Great idea. Could you make the gap in the hook a little larger by bening the middle section? Might make it easier to set the hook and hold large fish.

An interesting idea. I assume you mean bend to the side - an attempt to just open it larger would most likely take all the strength away from the hook. Twisting it 90 degrees to the side might do the trick nicely. I think I'd try it with a pair of gloves and/or pliers to make sure I didn't slice up my fingers should something slip or let go.

I was thinking that what is normall called the "eye of the hook" is very large on the soda can tab hook. Maybe you could bend the eye in and give more room for the gap.

You could add this to your suggestion of bending the shank to the side.

Both might work well together in helping.

it looks neat, i will bend the hook part around and try this later today!

edit

could not get hook to set

Just goes to show, don't count on it until you've tried it several times and are good with it. The idea still seems sound but it sounds like it takes more practice that just using a 'store bought' hook.

Hear of this many times but have never tried it. It is my assumption that you would have to use this on a fairly small fish because I would think if a big fish got a hold of this and put up a fight they would bend the hell out of the hook part....no big cat bottom feeders! Very good photos and thanks for yet another great idea.