Sign in to follow this  
Smokecheck

"Guide to Self-Reliance and Country Skills"

Picked this up today at Lowe's. Looks like some interesting articles in this Winter 2011 edition. "How to Make Your Own Herbal Medicine", "Maximize Your Harvest", "Choosing Renewable Energy", etc. This issue focuses on self-reliance.post-82-13851497691584_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find Snakes post about some of the hazards as it were of trying to start a homestead. Was going to add this to the bottom of that thread... The book 'Hobby Farming for Dummies' will give you a fair overview as to things you'd need to know and give you a fair amount of food for thought as well.

If you have the time and Money ..

https://folkschool.org/index.php

This is in NC and one of the best schools out there for teaching "FOLK" skill's...The Black smithing school is on my BUCKET LIST..

I get thier course catalog...

If I had the Money I would send .O C there for a month...just to see her pound some steel..or weave a basket..lol

I need to add those to my bookshelf as well as Square Foot Gardening. Some things like this need to be in old fashioned paper form.

While I do pretty much all of my "pleasure reading" on my Kindle, whenever possible, I buy actual books for prepping topics. So I have wilderness survival guides, books on plant identification, explanations of building and maintenance, guides to foraging in my neck of the woods, a few books on self-sufficient gardening, and so on in actual hardback or paperback form.

I do think I may need to subscribe to Mother Earth News, though. I'm constantly being directed to their website for information when I'm looking into various topics. Tons of great, practical, and usually affordable ideas, with a lot of people sharing personal experiences (not just theory) in the articles.