Sign in to follow this  
Jurugarian

stuff to take on short term field outings (1-2 days)

hey guys, this thread is all about what to take on a short term outing ie. looking for supplies after the SHTF. any questions or comments feel free to reply, private message me, or Email me (jurugarian@hotmail.com).

ok guys when the SHTF you all went to your bug out/in locations, now your running low on food and water. what do you take with you when you go looking for supplies? well that's for you to decide. this is going to be based on a camping scenario, and everything discussed can be used in other scenarios.

keep in mind when i go camping it is mainly with either military or AAFC personnel, and i do wear a uniform, try and keep up.

first, how you carry your items. i personally use an auscam 30lt field pack and that is more than sufficient for my needs on short term outings, and i also have my h-harness, webbing belt and comforter, with 2 minimi pouches, 2 canteen pouches and a bum pack.

i take the webbing with me when i'm out with my section and leave my pack at camp, the webbing is never more than 5m from me at any given time.

items in the pack: 1 change of DPCU clothes, sleeping bag rated to -5°, ground sheet, x1 24hr MRE.

items in my webbing: x2 1.5lt canteens*, one waterproof japara*, 200ft of para-cord, 3in knife(folding)*, mess kit*, canteen cup*, hexi stove*, waterproof matches, x2 cam cream containers, survival kit (saw blade, fishing gear, aspirin/panadol, and a few other bits) x2 24hr MRE's*, puritabs*, compass*, maps*, x2 UHF handheld radios, antibacterial no water hand sanitizer*, KFC handwipes* (great for cleaning your dishes, or cleaning your body in a survival situation), 1 'L' torch, x2 extra batteries, x10 tent pegs, and a hutchie* (small two-man tent), as well as hutchie chord

yea my webbing isn't that big but if you pack it right you can get A LOT in it.

*=must take

i guess it can depend on the situation, but that stuff could keep me going for weeks in the bush

so what do you guys take with you on short term outings?

I have a set up fairly similar to yours. I have my 30 L backpack with the main supplies and a webbing belt + H harness with the things I always want to have on me. I don't have as much as you do though, as all the parks near me are local and fairly small (walk across them in about 2-3 hours). I haven't yet done a true 2-3 day trip, but I am planning on it soon. I go with a Lawson Hammock instead of a tent (http://www.lawsonhammock.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4387) to help cut down on weight. No butt pack because I hang my 20*F sleeping back in it's compression sack under my pack. I always have my Gerber LMF II, Canteen w/ canteen cup and canteen stove stand, 2 ways to start a fire, a survival whistle, a red bandana, and an emergency blanket and poncho in the three pouches on my belt.

nice setup. i go to a place called greytown (36°49'S, 144°56'E) and it would take at least 5-6 hrs to walk across it. don't forget to check the weather conditions for the area as well as fire laws in place for the area. i prefer the tent because it can be built on ground as well as used for cover on shelters built up high. (it's basically a tarp but stronger). also if u want suggestions for training activities or info on how to navigate with a compass feel free to Email or post

I used to use a tent, but I had heard from others online and from some of my college friends that hammock camping is much more comfortable if you know what you are doing. So far, from the few trips with my hammock over the summer and early fall, I have found that to be true. The thing I like best about the Lawson Hammock, it that it uses fiberglass poles to keep the no-see-um nets up and also allows the hammock to be used like a bivy and it comes with a tarp. I have a friend who uses a Clack Jungle Hammock that's designed to be a 4 season, but it's pretty expensive compared to the one I got.

I would love to take a survival course of some kind, but being in college really limits the time I can invest in this. Right now, it's basically to the point where I might be able to do an overnight if I'm not bartending all weekend and can finish all my homework before the weekend starts.

Edited by Delta7

well if your interested in doing survival but don't have the time, i can Email you the manual that the Australian Defence Force uses (Edited of course) and you can read through that. i can also get the powerpoints (unedited) for you to go through (better than the manual). let me know in a PM or Email (check 1st post). and you can do it when you have the chance. that goes for anyone else reading the thread

Another manual is the US Army Survival Escape and Evasion Handbook. They are cheap at surplus stores but like any military manual, you must know the military jargon when reading it. Delta, I am about 75 miles from Chi-town and if have the time and we are able to schedule, it would probably be possible for you to join myself and a few others when we go out. We (my Dad and myself) usually spend off time teaching my nephew certain tasks or just hiking for the day. If you need or want to learn something particular, I'll see what can be done. I am gone alot on my new job, but can plan long weekends if know in advance.

email me at RegulatorScout@gmail.com

Edited by Regulator5

I'm actually from Rockford (about 80 miles Northwest from Chicago), but almost no on has ever heard of it so I just say I'm from Chicago. I'll see what I can do, but I'm VERY busy with college and working on my pilot license. Thanks for the invite!

what to take after TSHTF looking for supplies? my EDC stuff, a hat, sunglasses, a GI bandana (neutral green vs. blue or red) , a flashlight and an empty GI Duffle bag. jus grab and go. Manual fuel pump will be in the BOV. when looking for supplies, nothing of value will be in the vehicle; food, fuel, supplies or unarmed women, all that should be at the BOL. then 1 canteen and a MRE. that way you don't lose much, when someone decides to steal the vehicle while your checking out a warehouse. its a toss up between a carbine or 2 - .45's, concealability vs. firepower. should a police force showup, you jus admit your packing heat and looking for supplies vs. being drawn down upon when you go outside with a carbine strapped to your chest and labeled instant looter. If a gang shows up, then at least you can try how good your silver tongue is, vs. instant firefight coming out the door. I'd hope to have a lookout that at least honked the horn or flashed the headlights into the building if anyone showed up.

Reb, good list for an urban outing. Also depending on how far into the situation the 1-2 outing takes place, could also dictate the equipment and gear carried. If we are in month 6 after the event, I would be looking at carrying my traps and rifle for hunting, a relatively empty pack for carrying game and plants I gathered. It would still be possible to gather some canned goods or other stock from houses or buildings where the inhabitant was not as lucky to make it that far into the future and nobody else had ransacked the premises.

Like you said, I would also hope to have a partner at least. The military strategy of "battle buddies" is a useful policy in some regards. I feel 3 man teams would be most efficient.

Great thread:

Jurugarian:

Great pack well thought out being unfamiliar with laws in your area take this all with a grain of salt

and make sure that this is ok in your area

look at a bushman's knife from cold steel I believe you can find both at BUDK.com also a wax wood staff a 4' or 6' foot I would go with the longer one, and a frog gig looks like a trident welded to a socket to attach to a stick with three sharp points and 2 hose clamps for the staff both knife and gig have holes to attach to a stick I would just use a short piece para cord tied to the tool knotted on the ends pinned to the staff by

one of the hose clamps with another longer para cord attached to the tool also so you have a lanyard so

you do not loose the knife or gig can make it a underwater spear a regular spear if you attach to your wrist

make sure you use a slip knot but if your target is sizable enough do not do this or the wrist noose might as well be a noose around your neck.

a venom extractor for insect and other bites

look at Datrex, Mainstay or S.O.S. food bars get one of the 3,600 calorie ones these are packaged in

metalized foil to have a long /5 year shelf life these are the kind found in most survival at sea kits and meet coast guard / SOLAS standards take 1 for summer 2 for winter or water drenched of surf area

hypothermia requires calories water and warmth as am am sure you know being wet and in any temp cooler than body temp will suck the warmth right out of you dependent on wind and relative humidity.

and your body needs water to process protein and just for grins potassium, magnesium B complex and

vitamin D look for a single vitamin that has these or where in a few tabs give you the daily requirement

of vitamins and some salt tablets and benadryl any allergic reaction can turn deadly.

I temper my statement this way when trek or camping trip is planned we are healthy or plan to be when

starting and If traveling with others any sickness travels with you.

and depending on what you eat before as to how fortified your body is to fight cold heat or sickness

or will it cause you to become ill diarrhea the most underestimated malady added to any other cold or flu or whatever is a sure emergency if a person cannot make electrolyte water to replenish lost fluid as in

crush a vitamin and a half a salt tab mix in a pint of water you can hang in there until it passes.

And no matter how many persons your with remember a turn of events can put you on your own.

I am not a believer in back packs I like a frame and a water proof bags in a color like yellow for hiking a

back pack is an anchor in water the items listed above should be on your belt well secured these are your life if in the water it will turn your pockets wrong side out a sheath of KYDEX and a water proof box for the gig and vitamins etc nothing worse than stabbing your own self seen it happen never count on your bag as you go to take a dump and something happens to separate you from your gear your belt should never be off of you if you take a bath in a river when they find your dead body you should be naked with that belt and gear still attached to you.

think I am over adamant, floods can come from many miles away fire runs as fast as the wind that drives it idiots keep wild animals and they get loose you are in the wild it never gets tame that's the trap it only

looks that way it will lull you into a false sense of tranquility and bamm your fighting for your life

people have died from eating food cooked over poison vines used as fire wood. it is the wild insect repellent I like pure DEET yea they say its bad for ya well so is malaria west Nile and a hundred other diseases that are incurable tick fever subcutaneous worms and larvae have you had your meningitis shot they have

them now look up diseases from dirt.

having been around and experienced the impossible and the improbable and seen people gritting there teeth shaking sweating, out of their minds with fever eyes like milky marbles blind as a bat oh and bat bites kill people every year here.

Death is going to get everyone but you never have to make it easy for him.........

hey forgot to mention

everyone needs a Faraday LED flashlight otherwise known as a shake light found a few

mini ones about 6 inches long takes a while to shake them up but having more than one way to have light

and make fire insures comfort and safety and signaling capabilities make your own small book on how to make traps and snares live traps are good to practice with gives you a level of confidence like the box trap figure 4 trap a tunnel trap try making with foraged sticks and making your own cordage good practice.and if you

catch something take a picture and release it.

laminate book of the traps snares that you can make make a net tying shuttle print pics from the net and

whatever you can just add to your laminated book Morse code whatever............

In the area I live in and would most likely be in should such an event taked place we picked up.some.books on local eatables and located several natural springs. Packs contain several common camping items and hennessy hamocks. We go on several weekend kayak trips and a week.long trip in the area every year just enjoying the time and honning skills. The kids never even know.they are learning LOL!

Great thread:

Jurugarian:

Great pack well thought out being unfamiliar with laws in your area take this all with a grain of salt

and make sure that this is ok in your area

look at a bushman's knife from cold steel I believe you can find both at BUDK.com also a wax wood staff a 4' or 6' foot I would go with the longer one, and a frog gig looks like a trident welded to a socket to attach to a stick with three sharp points and 2 hose clamps for the staff both knife and gig have holes to attach to a stick I would just use a short piece para cord tied to the tool knotted on the ends pinned to the staff by

one of the hose clamps with another longer para cord attached to the tool also so you have a lanyard so

you do not loose the knife or gig can make it a underwater spear a regular spear if you attach to your wrist

make sure you use a slip knot but if your target is sizable enough do not do this or the wrist noose might as well be a noose around your neck.

a venom extractor for insect and other bites

look at Datrex, Mainstay or S.O.S. food bars get one of the 3,600 calorie ones these are packaged in

metalized foil to have a long /5 year shelf life these are the kind found in most survival at sea kits and meet coast guard / SOLAS standards take 1 for summer 2 for winter or water drenched of surf area

hypothermia requires calories water and warmth as am am sure you know being wet and in any temp cooler than body temp will suck the warmth right out of you dependent on wind and relative humidity.

and your body needs water to process protein and just for grins potassium, magnesium B complex and

vitamin D look for a single vitamin that has these or where in a few tabs give you the daily requirement

of vitamins and some salt tablets and benadryl any allergic reaction can turn deadly.

I temper my statement this way when trek or camping trip is planned we are healthy or plan to be when

starting and If traveling with others any sickness travels with you.

and depending on what you eat before as to how fortified your body is to fight cold heat or sickness

or will it cause you to become ill diarrhea the most underestimated malady added to any other cold or flu or whatever is a sure emergency if a person cannot make electrolyte water to replenish lost fluid as in

crush a vitamin and a half a salt tab mix in a pint of water you can hang in there until it passes.

And no matter how many persons your with remember a turn of events can put you on your own.

I am not a believer in back packs I like a frame and a water proof bags in a color like yellow for hiking a

back pack is an anchor in water the items listed above should be on your belt well secured these are your life if in the water it will turn your pockets wrong side out a sheath of KYDEX and a water proof box for the gig and vitamins etc nothing worse than stabbing your own self seen it happen never count on your bag as you go to take a dump and something happens to separate you from your gear your belt should never be off of you if you take a bath in a river when they find your dead body you should be naked with that belt and gear still attached to you.

think I am over adamant, floods can come from many miles away fire runs as fast as the wind that drives it idiots keep wild animals and they get loose you are in the wild it never gets tame that's the trap it only

looks that way it will lull you into a false sense of tranquility and bamm your fighting for your life

people have died from eating food cooked over poison vines used as fire wood. it is the wild insect repellent I like pure DEET yea they say its bad for ya well so is malaria west Nile and a hundred other diseases that are incurable tick fever subcutaneous worms and larvae have you had your meningitis shot they have

them now look up diseases from dirt.

having been around and experienced the impossible and the improbable and seen people gritting there teeth shaking sweating, out of their minds with fever eyes like milky marbles blind as a bat oh and bat bites kill people every year here.

Death is going to get everyone but you never have to make it easy for him.........

there is no need to spend money on buying a metal gig head and carrying extra weight. sharpen a stick to a point then spit the point with your knife like a cross. this will give you 4 points. place 2 small sticks in between the points cross ways. this will separate the points making it a gig. tie tightly and sharpen all 4 points. i use this method every spring and summer for catching frogs with my son. its easy and we have a blast doing it. also you can tie a piece of rubber hose or elastic band in a loop the connect it to the butt end of the gig stick and you can place your thumb through the loop and stretch it while holding it to use as a fishing spear

Edited by NWRedneck