Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Zippo or no Zippo?

I wanted to get your guys opinion on something(especially some of you old timers=)

When I first got a zippo lighter I thought it was the end all be all of lighters and would be awesome for my survival pack and everyday carry. Nice big flame and windproof. However the problem I am running into has to do with the lighter fluid. It seems like I run out of it quicker than maybe I should. I have checked the fit of the inner core and it seems pretty solid so i'm wondering if any of you have zippos and how long it last in between filling. I know someone who had a zippo from the 70's, stored it and lit it 25 years later without filling it. I know things were made better back then and maybe it just had a realllllly good seal but wow. Even if you run out of fluid here are some good reasons to still have a zippo in your pack

The wick and packing can be used for tinder

The flint can be used to strike a spark even though it is quite small

The copper wire wrapped around the wick can be used to start a fire if you have a battery

the case can be used as a signal, if it is polished

can store things in the case like char cloth

I'm sure there are many other uses as well

Lighter fluid in Zippo's will evaporate usually pretty quickly. I wouldn't want to have to worry about if my zippo was going to light in an emergency. All of the other things you listed (IMHO) are moot if you just put a Bic in your bag/pocket or whatever.

Again, JMHO

I had a Zippo pipe lighter that I carried back in the 70's. It did evaporate fuel quickly. I note that Amazon has a sealed container http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-121503-00-Fuel-Canister/dp/B000B589JI to carry fuel in. I used to just carry a spare can of fuel but that container looks like a good idea. I carry a couple of butane lighters. I went that way because the Zippo left a taste in the pipe tobacco that a butane didn't. I'm thinking of getting another zippo anyway (in addition to the butane, not in lieu of) just because I want one.

yeah, the container Capt Bart mentioned holds enough fluid for 1 full refill.

I have a zippo that is always in my pocket, has been for going on 7 years, same zippo, i sure do love it. BUT i also have a Bic, matches and a firesteel in my bag. I love my Zippo, seems to only light for me LOL. So to answer your question tinderwolf, I cast my vote to Zippo

When I smoked I loved Zippo lighters. Nothing like that first drag when lit with a lighter with fluid in it. I have about 10 of them put up that are new. I sent some of the old ones to get them fixed. Life time warranty you know. For the BOB I would not want them. If I was going out camping for a couple of days maybe. You never know when the fluid was going to run out. I filled mine once every week. Wouldn't want to carry the extra fluid.

Thanks guys for the input. I agree about the taste when it comes to smoking..though ultimately wood matches leave the best tast =)

Yep, that faint whiff of sulfur as you light the pipe was always just right. Amazing the memories a smell will trigger.

I know capt, its crazy. I know i'm off topice but whatever its my thread. For instance, I do not like to fly in planes, in fact I pretty much won't. But sometimes when i'm in a car or around any type of vent that is recirculating air once in a while it has that exact same smell as airplane air and it puts my nerves on edge. Stupid i know.

1812321291_5df71cadc0.jpg

Butane Zippo Insert by mr.smashy, on Flickr

I use a refillable butane insert in my zippo lighter, because I smoke cigars and zippo fuel is all wrong for lighting a cigar. It works great, is handy for other things like chasing threads and sealing paracord, etc. I kept the zippo guts in case I need to use it, but I buy butane by the 12 pack and each bottle refills the zippo insert about 8 times.

Butane...I found re fillable candle lighters at the dollar store and have 5.My butane lighter works very well in all weather and its always on me.sorry I do smoke and Im glad you all have stopped.My cob is for fly fish and its in my vest.I keep 3 cans of refill at all times,and rolling papers and a bag of cheap tobacco just in case.

I got one even better. it was winter time and I just filled my zippo..put a little too much in and put the lighter in my coat pocket where my gloves were. Went outside, started the snow blower to clear some snow and put my gloves on. Well by this time quite a bit a fluid had leaked out and soaked into my glove. Went to light a cigarette and poof my glove caught up in a pretty nice flame which took out some of my beard in the process.

I got one even better. it was winter time and I just filled my zippo..put a little too much in and put the lighter in my coat pocket where my gloves were. Went outside, started the snow blower to clear some snow and put my gloves on. Well by this time quite a bit a fluid had leaked out and soaked into my glove. Went to light a cigarette and poof my glove caught up in a pretty nice flame which took out some of my beard in the process.

any video of this by chance my friend? :P

It is hard to maintain dignity with an injury like that. I broke a little toe on a water bed - in the ER they LAUGHED! I suspect you'd get the same level of sympathy. Did your eyebrows survive? Half a beard and no eyebrow on one side would look - shall we say - different.