Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Zippo or no Zippo?

Rick, Capt Bart, what's up?! I thought the one place I would get some sympathy would be here on my own thread..=) It just singed half of my beard, I trimmed the other side and no one was the wiser. Though for the rest of the day I felt like puking due the smell of burned hair all around my face. Sorry Rick no video...Though I could make a dramaitzation

Rick, Capt Bart, what's up?! I thought the one place I would get some sympathy would be here on my own thread..=) It just singed half of my beard, I trimmed the other side and no one was the wiser. Though for the rest of the day I felt like puking due the smell of burned hair all around my face. Sorry Rick no video...Though I could make a dramaitzation

What? Can't you feel the love? Problem is, I can see something like that happening to me and I'm just relieved it was you instead. :P

We won't discuss the time I tried to make a rocket out of some Zippo fuel, motor oil and powder from a couple of packages of "Black Cats". Let's just say I was too young to have a beard but I do know what can happen to eyebrows!

Well as much as I like zippos for smoking I have made a decision. No zippo for the BOB. If its on me great and its definitly better than nothing but I'm not buying an extra one ( about twenty or thirty bucks) for my BOB. Fo that amount of money you can buy a lot of BICs or strikers. Thread offically closed =(

I have one as part of my EDC. I think I'll also include one or two in mine and my wifes BOB only because I own several of them. Although the way they run out of fuel Im not going to count on one. I plan on having multiple fire starters.

A zippo is great but I would not buy an expensive one nor would i count on it

they dry up and when you need it then it might be dry but it can use a few fuels

some work better than others you can remove a bit of filler about the size of a eraser

and put a couple packs of flints in the fuel compartment

I would consider a zippo hand warmer they are good I have used charcoal lighter fluid

good warmer.

Having a Zippo as part of the many ways to make fire is an excellent idea. Ever tried using a Bic with heavy gloves on when you're cold, wet and need a fire now? That zippo can stand on its own after being lit with even the heaviest gloves on. BTW, a 4 oz can of fluid in your bag is just another measure of insurance when everything, including you, is wet.

Having a Zippo as part of the many ways to make fire is an excellent idea. Ever tried using a Bic with heavy gloves on when you're cold, wet and need a fire now? That zippo can stand on its own after being lit with even the heaviest gloves on. BTW, a 4 oz can of fluid in your bag is just another measure of insurance when everything, including you, is wet.
I still have a zippo in my bag but added a Bic begrudgingly as I understand they have in the past donated money to anti-gun organizations, boycotted them for years, but damn it they work to good. Also I agree that the fluid is a great guarantee of fire in a pinch

I still have a zippo in my bag but added a Bic begrudgingly as I understand they have in the past donated money to anti-gun organizations, boycotted them for years, but damn it they work to good. Also I agree that the fluid is a great guarantee of fire in a pinch

I carry and empty zippo in my EDC pack, and I have one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-121503-00-Fuel-Canister/dp/B000B589JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338914270&sr=8-1

I heard that about BIC as well but I always had them because I used to smoke.

If you get this you won't have to give them your money on a regular basis, just a one time pain haha.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Classic-Lighter-50ct-Regular/dp/B001AJ6BDK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VPH3SBV60NMH&colid=QOODIGA51N9F

BIC are obviously cheaper and very useful.

But, I think a Zippo would also be nice to have on hand anyway. Once you light a zippo itll stay lit. You dont have to hold down the lil button like on a BIC. Light the Zippo, and you can still use both hand to get your fire going if you need to. If a zippo was a screw driver, it would be electric. JMO

I carry and empty zippo in my EDC pack, and I have one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-121503-00-Fuel-Canister/dp/B000B589JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338914270&sr=8-1

I heard that about BIC as well but I always had them because I used to smoke.

If you get this you won't have to give them your money on a regular basis, just a one time pain haha.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Classic-Lighter-50ct-Regular/dp/B001AJ6BDK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VPH3SBV60NMH&colid=QOODIGA51N9F

Yeah with the wife and my proclivity towards accidentally cacheing them in unknown locales.......I reckon that be be a 3 month supply on hand, a 6 month supply in the couch, a 9 month supply on the table by the washer, and a 12 month supply in my 4 year olds hand!