Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

Survival Fiction or Learning is Fun!

I just read Without by EE Borton and I really enjoyed the adventure. Here is an except from my review:

This story packed a punch from the beginning. Told in the first person, this tale of loss and redemption in the midst of a global catastrophe chronicles the travels and travails of Henry, a loner and dedicated survivalist who decides to take charge of his life after suffering a terrible loss. When the lights go out this time, he has a plan and the tools to make that plan work as he makes his way out of Atlanta. He never expected the trip to be easy, but some unexpected things crop up along the way. The book is filled with wonder and pain, unexpected kindness and shattering cruelty. You might be able to guess some of the plot twists but others will take you completely by surprise. A lot of thought went into crafting this story, and the author should be credited for writing a post apocalypse story with this much depth to it. One of the few books I have read recently where the characters and story stayed with me days after I finished the last sentence.

The ending was somewhat contrived but hey, it is a real ending and not some silly cliffhanger, at least. When you read this book you quickly come to realize that Henry is a bit unhinged by what happened to him even before the lights went out. He is either delusional or "touched" and one of his biggest blunders (IMHO) only makes some sense when you realize he is being haunted by his past. Anyway, I enjoyed the book and I hope he writes a sequel so we can go back and find out the fate of some of the people he met on the road.

Hi Texas Bill. I too am awaiting your book. I read 'Without' on your recommendation and I agree with the points you made. It was an excellent read. I liked the ending and the fact the cause of the catastrophe is never resolved.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. I think we both like a thriller with a little deeper substance, and Without certainly fits the bill. Sorry to hear about your health issues- have you considered using the speak to text software? Still a somewhat buggy but I know one of my bosses uses it and he likes the results. Anyway, I sent you a PM as well. So when can we expect another blockbuster from you? I reread Disaster and Gran De Daddy back to back again last week and now I'm jonesing for the next installment. For both. But no pressure.

Hello Texas Bill, Oregon Chick and Wally. I've been a while but I am publishing another story in the next couple of days. Taking note of Oregon Chick's lament about PA survivors have tons of money, weapons and supplies I wrote one where they do not. The title is 'TRASHMAN'. Wanda from 'W' has a cameo scene in it and her past and reason for her attitude is revealed.

Texas Bill. The follow up to 'Gran De Daddy is progressing well and I think you will like it. The premise for an Apocalyptic Disaster opens up and of course Gran De Daddy and Willa are going to be hot on the trail of the bad guys.

I have to say, this site and this thread is the go to place for my reading selections. The reviews posted here are well done and are a good guide.

Terry McDonald.

PS, I usually run a couple of free days soon after the book is published and available. I will do so for 'TRASHMAN' an when I do I'll post the days here.

Man, Trashman is great entertainment and like all of Terry McDonald's books, it also makes you think. At times I wanted to laugh and other parts made me want to cry. I think that is the definition of a blockbuster in this genre. Anyway, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend this one to you guys.

Thanks Texas Bill. Your reviews on Amazon have been very helpful. I hope you find time for this one. I'm glad you were able to get a copy Wally. I do hope you enjoy reading the story.

The responses to my work here is very inspirational. If not for Texas Bill's enthusiasm for Gran De Daddy I would not be as far along with the sequel as I am.

I peruse this forum every time I run out of something to read. The reviews you guys do saves me a lot of filtering looking for gems. Oregon Chick is right that PA stories do seem to follow set patterns. I hope to step outside the box with Gran De Daddy's sequel. With Gran De Daddy I tried to create intensity and fast motion. It is a real challenge to put an old man in violent, physical situations where he wins without seeming contrived. This time he will have Willa by his side and watching his back. Yep, the old man made a hook up. Anyway, so far the follow up is very fun to write.

Terry

I second Texas Bill's recommendation of The Trashman. You're dropped right into the crux of the problem, which I appreciated (some stories seem to belabor "an ordinary office worker and his ordinary family, living in the suburbs" to the point of slowing things down). You see the decisions they make and how their narrow perspective and lack of overall knowledge makes it difficult for them to make the best choices along the way, especially at first, and how loss, experience, and picking up skills and know-how greatly improve their chances. I love how this tied into the earlier short story you wrote, Terry, about "W" and how she came to be.

One thing I genuinely appreciate is the overall theme that there's a responsibility to do more than simply not die. Helping others when you can - and, if possible, getting rid of people who endanger other good people - are also things that survivors in a post-apocalyptic world may have to deal with. And people need more to focus on than day-to-day tasks, but they also need hope and a purpose that is bigger than themselves. That gives this book (and hopefully others in the series, hint hint) a resonance that other work in this genre sometimes lacks.

Thank you Texas Bill and Oregon Chick. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the review on Amazon Tex. Reviews do help indie writers.

One of these day I'm going on a road trip. Maybe I'll get to meet you guys. In the past I've been all over Texas. I hitch-hiked through Oregon once. The only place I remember was Medford. What I remember most is that along interstate 5, Oregon is a beautiful state.

I like North Texas up near the Oklahoma border. I spent some time in San Antonio. The River Walk there in wonderful and a good place to cool off during the long hot days of summer in South Texas. My son and I spent a great deal of time sitting under bridges and buildings that crossed it, chilling and watching the tourists.

Terry

Terry, come on down. Sorry I did not respond sooner but I was out of town (ironically, up there in northeast Texas area near Oklahoma) for work. Give a shout whenever you are in the Houston area. The city is a crime ridden cesspool (okay, maybe not that bad) but some of the surrounding communities are pretty nice.