bob leeper

must have items/ what every household will need in shtf or teotwawki

it is ironic that everyone ive talked to has an idea what they need to have in stock for long term survival, and some people dont have a clue ...so here id like to put together a list of absolutely must have items you store in your cache, before all else. food water and bob gear...

power generator

large garbage cans, plastic 50 gallon with lid for food storage   5 of them

ten gallons of clorox bleach... sixteen drops to purify a gallon of water,,,

air mask for contaminant air smoke and chemical ..

coffee filters for filtration of water

activated charcoal for water filtering,

fishing line 16 lb test and up..several spools..spiderwire tough stuff...

archery equipment.. bows and arrows , field tips and razor broadheads, blunt tips and cedar shafts

backup rechargeable batteries

fuel for machines, spare spark plugs and repair manuals, lubricant oils

boyscout field book for reference  pre 1970s version..

specific books. , you know which ones you rely on to survive

folding field shovels.. i have a couple of these to dig trench latrines for sanitation

so there is just a few listed  add your own must haves

I have an extra truck battery solar chargers for a number of reasons you can make oxygen and hydrogen with a battery look it up.

then I have plenty of different over the counter meds and astringents and lots of 3 in one antibiotic.

Bandages / band aids as well as kotex and panty liners these are "sanitary" and sealed people that are not accustom to using an Axe or machete will inherently make a boo boo.

Children are ignorant of flame / fire / hot exhaust so do something about it.

I have made many lists and they are in the SC archives / past posts all I know if it is in a store your probably going to need it before your life is over IMO.  People should concentrate on light  oil battery crank shake lights have them / collect them all first aid personal defense and edibles and hand tools notice I did not say battery powered or power tools.

I always keep a couple jugs of oil and 4 or so oi filters for my vehicle so I have a couple of oil changes and if I have to at 5,000 I can replace the filter and run it another oil seldom goes "BAD" it is the particulates that harm your engine.

A person can have a warehouse full of stuff but if you can't find it or know how to use it or know a work around it is not helpful.

Hardware is the least spoken of and one of the most important nails hinges spigots pipe and fittings  etc eventually your going to have to make do repair or jury rig some system pipe and fittings 1/2 - 3/4 - 1" very basic covers most all the water and drain issues.

5 gallon bucket of tar it a world where latex and silicone are dried or not found tar will seal the deal.

save poly clothing material tar loves it dobb some tar patch with a double size piece of the hole and tar over it past edges about an inch if they had this on Gilligan's island they could have left the next day.

metal flashing patch roofs and metal with tar

I have old silicone baking forms for the silicone it is a great gasket material takes heat up to 500 degrees cardboard is also good gasket material.

bic lighters a carton of 50 magnesium is great but striking is hit and miss

leather and rawhide back in the day people used rawhide for hinges sliced razor thin you can use it for holding primitive arrow / axe heads repair split handles it shrinks so apply soaked tie tight and use half hitches to cinch it and once dry it ain't coming off. it also makes fantastic thread for repairing shoes harness etc.

leather is good for moccasins shoe insoles and a small piece makes a lot of lace also have a lace cutter.

diamond nail files assorted nail clippers surgical scissors hemostats etc.

rechargeable batteries I have ENLOOP from Panasonic high capacity no memory and recharges 2100 times an inverter 300 watts or so and a enloop charger and standard battery charger ENLOOP also makes battery converters use AA for C and D cells.

Every time I have had to exist after a hurricane I have used lots of oil lamps and battery lights I have a couple of lawn tractor batteries I hook up pulled computer fans they use little energy and keeps me cool all night for a couple of days.

I have a solar kit 3 panels 75 watt and a couple other solar panels for LED lights in out buildings.

All of this takes time to acquire learn / hook up I keep a 20 gallon tote of wire all sizes for auto and electrical switches etc I mostly scrap from broken electronics costs a little time and storage space I also have a 2 gallon tote of tea candles all bought from garage sales .

learn how to make your own bleach with a 9 volt  battery or car battery couple of jumpers and alligator clips  titanium wire a pencil water and salt. look this up on youtube the titanium wire cannot touch the lead or carbon rod.

Titanium wire is not found everywhere so you need to get it now a pack of alligator clips and scrap copper wire for leads to attach to battery and  pencil lead or a carbon rod you have to insulate the rod I would use O-rings for the carbon rod. the reaction takes minutes but changes weak salt water to household type bleach and as it takes only drops to treat a gallon it is worth it to get some titanium wire. other metals can make chemicals not supportive or hazardous to the human body FYI.

You can do a lot with knowledge but you have to have the basics

it is ironic that everyone ive talked to has an idea what they need to have in stock for long term survival, and some people dont have a clue ...so here id like to put together a list of absolutely must have items you store in your cache, before all else. food water and bob gear...

power generator

large garbage cans, plastic 50 gallon with lid for food storage   5 of them

ten gallons of clorox bleach... sixteen drops to purify a gallon of water,,,

air mask for contaminant air smoke and chemical ..

coffee filters for filtration of water

activated charcoal for water filtering,

fishing line 16 lb test and up..several spools..spiderwire tough stuff...

archery equipment.. bows and arrows , field tips and razor broadheads, blunt tips and cedar shafts

backup rechargeable batteries

fuel for machines, spare spark plugs and repair manuals, lubricant oils

boyscout field book for reference  pre 1970s version..

specific books. , you know which ones you rely on to survive

folding field shovels.. i have a couple of these to dig trench latrines for sanitation

so there is just a few listed  add your own must haves

i have planned for no electricity as i can't store more than 8 hours of fuel at my place, it will suck but its doable...

Wally if you can get a horizontal  shaft motor and a alternator amd scrounge aome batteries there are battery "re-builders" around.   It does not take but 20 minutes to an hour to charge a car battery or lawn tractor battery good to run computer fans charge cell phones / devices to watch movies listen to music run led lights run or charge hand power tools.

for comfort making some chem heat / ice packs for injuries or comfort   here are some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lHZg0tMdVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNF2DO6EXcw

how to make one of the chemicals   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g584hrAIMKc

the other chem I will leave for those interested to do the research or you can find it locally

light heat / warmth charging ability tool use depends on inverter and battery size

i like jon-e hand warmers and old school lighter fluid lighters

acold pack wrapped in a towel you can breath through it and cool air is a comfort not as good as ac but it is what it is.

I recall; when I could order anything and now because of so many evil and stupid people it is all but impossible to get certain things, it is ashame that we have a segment that never learned that harming others is sick.  I would rather all this information was for camping and long term outdoor activities  nothing better than spending a week or a month at your favorite fishing hunting camp,  sometimes you need solitude to think and reacquaint you to yourself  it is amazing how  constant immersion into humanity dulls your senses and cartwheels your mind people become like ants semi conscience drones to a point or angry self loathing individuals who's only enjoyment is to be a pain to others. sometimes the police have to shoot these people because they are so unhappy they can no longer live among others.  Too bad people have such a hard time understanding peace comes from within and is self replicating and it really pisses people off that your at peace and they are not ---- i like pissing people off in that way :)

On the  Toilet paper issue, what is everyones favorite brand ? 

Regardless of what you call it TP AP or all purpose roll, bum roll, bog roll, bum wad,  Dunny paper, @ss or Sh*t tickets,  sh*tter paper. or the Air Force "Form One" USMC Butt Floss or Moon floss of course the office name  "paper work".

It is hard to accumulate all the things we need for any long term sh*tuation  (pardon my pun)  BUTT this "paper" has a million and one uses so to have a couple of commercial size cases or 48 roll cases.  I did see a post where someone was going to fill a 55 gallon drum a very good idea as a drum would protect if from insects like roaches, silverfish and dampness.  Another post where in Bosnia Serbia and Croatia / Czech republic it was highly prized trade goods as was Bic lighters the post is on Survival cache.

Toilet paper is a great fire starter, remove the tube and lit from the inside out it makes a convict stove makes good ear plug material if not too tight to block sound it keeps out bugs and wind my father would roll a bit and place it under my upper lip and plug my nose when I got a busted nose or nose bleed. it is good to apply or hold mosquito repellent and I have used some to quiet or as a desiccant to keep moisture out of medication bottles.   I like the idea of cotton balls but no one has room for everything I do have a couple rolls in my BO / travel bag as on the road you never know what attention the "facilities" get.

So what is your favorite brand or use other than papering the neighbors house ?

FIRST you have to get past the year of horror, murder, rape cannabalism, horrific diseases, fires, etc. THEN you worry about all the long term stuff. Nearly everyone will be dead, so you can simply scrounge this stuff. But skills and gear for the combat and avoidance needed in that first year,  you're going to die without. Dont kid yourself about this.  

Scrounging will be very dangerous if anyone dies in a enclosed area a person needs to know and understand decontamination protocols what can and cannot be salvaged,

As far as cannibalism that has corrupted some peoples DNA and it has done so to their debasement DNA lower IQ scores,  lowers birth rates,  shortens life spans introduces genetic flaws and diseases,

a fun disease called Hoof & mouth is not killed by time or anthrax it is in essence a ticking time bomb so are many others all it takes is a whiff and your infected and you would not know for hours, the only cure is a funeral pyre after time who would know what caused them to die.

Some things to consider on security fire is the best area denial for the average joe or jo numerous ways to deploy and initiate, that said any fuel or fluid with a low flash point.   Some cans of ether for cold / hard starting motors there are other "canned goods" that have similar properties but short range like certain hair sprays  all one needs to do is rubber band a lighter to the can. 

Kerosene for above and lamps and old pump up blow torches for soldering / metal repairs 

pump up sprayers are always useful ;)

another denial of access is nails a case of common 16D and 60D,   some duplex nails and 1 1/2 inch roofing nails and a 5 gallon bucket of tar.   These have a 2 fold purpose building and repair or use for salting a road making porcupine blocks -- blocks of wood  set in a nonspecific pattern along with bricks broken bottles sharpened rebar short stick angle iron etc etc ankle breakers and skewers.  keeping a infiltrator from s direct path and impede movement and control direction enhance fire effectiveness / funnel fire. its more fun at night !

Nails do not require power tools to use can be used on lumber, rough cut or live wood etc.

People need to look at defense on a guerrilla warfare level and that equipment and hardware must have a dual purpose or be able to be reclaimed for other uses. there are ways to prevent theft of these but that is a subject I will not tackle online.

Vodka the only differences in liquor and rubbing alcohol  some is made poison by the addition of methanol and or / made of wood alcohol when you need trade goods a dual purpose antiseptic like vodka / ethanol alcohol it still is useful as a medicinal antiseptic / wound cleaner.

Grease and oil people need to salvaging and saving or having on hand new,  approach to your door greased and some nails will keep the boogerman from running up and putting those annoying foot prints on it as well to put a plywood overlay with nails on your door.

dead falls simple buckets of dusty elements and rocks etc etc your only limitation is imagination.

Sulfur this can be used to treat mold and insects on plants and it has many other uses make sure your not allergic.

Ammonia ;)  bleach nylon barrels plastic jerry cans metal trash cans and CATTLE PANELS  cut these to fit windows and access points etc if you have a window unit AC you need this on the inside as anyone can remove the AC and enter, also flat bar to make cross bars for doors the horse shoe needs to be on the knob side and the drop on the hinge side.

i_                                          I

_I   <---- horse shoe          _ I   < ----drop  slip 2X4 or something sturdy into horse shoe drop end into drop

I                                          I

the drop can have a kick out on the top you can give extra security w/ chain,

2 drops are not nearly as secure 2 horse shoes keep someone from removing the hinges and then removing the door.

as it is stuck in the frame recess 2 horse shoes will lock it in the recess. and can be more enhanced by upper and lower bolt latches, all your doing is delaying action to give yourself time to react.  wood doors can be covered with corrugated iron this resists hammers and axes as it gives a shock absorber effect

many oils like peppermint keep rats and mice away sprayed on their runs they avoid the strong scent.

Mineral oil can be used to coat wood such as cutting boards and wood rolling pins etc and personal us but there are reasons to limit use for personal use medical or lubricant. 

Making your home safe from freelance thugs in a world without power is easy if you have the resources on hand all of this is useful for emergency repairs cleanup and close up for vacations or storms.

you may can lard vegetable and animal for cooking use right now it is cheap and easy to find but even wally world does not keep on hand more than a half dozen 1 to 5 gallon pails each,   This type of oil keeps for years when canned olive oil if net used goes bad from oxidation it is still usable in simple wick lamps ut can quickly become toxic with mold if  is used on surfaces for the preparation of food and they are not cleaned and used regularly.

There needs to be a spider hole and old AC cover and a door through to the house so you have a surreptitious way to enter and exit any place that does not have multiple exits is a trap the attacker only has to block you in wait you out or burn gas or smoke you out cut off your access to water etc etc.

A word about absolute necessary knives  if you were lost and all you had was in your pocket or on your belt.

First If you do not have a Swiss Army Classic on your key chain BIG MISTAKE.

Here are your best choices, Swiss Army Champ, Swiss Army Explorer or at minimum - Camper Handyman, Hiker or Ranger

The lineup is this it needs to have a magnifying glass the Champ & Explorer do  the ones that do not leave you with one less way to start a fire, but not a deal killer.

the next is it must have a wood saw many of the rest do not and if you loose everything a saw of any kind to cut bone and branches is without question the best tool next to a blade.

Any Swiss Army knives that do not have the toothpick and tweezers is a horrible choice splinters stickers and thorns are everywhere infection is always a possibility so the minimum effort to extract the better you are and nothing is so irritating as something stuck between teeth. survival is best in comfort.

The list of tools here w/ * is a must have I would still make having the magnifier very important.

2 blades as one is none and 2 are 1

*  blade, large
   *blade, small
   *can opener             better to use than breaking another tool
    screwdriver 3 mm
    bottle opener
    wire stripper
    screwdriver 5 mm
    *Reamer, punch and sewing awl

corkscrew                                       Unless your on a wine tasting trip but it comes with most all medium Swiss Army Knives.
    *scissors        Really you have to be told you need these

*tweezers      There is no substitute for these

*toothpick      better than wood this is nylon
    *key ring        most important for the Classic key chain model

Stainless steel water bottle

LED key chain flashlight

wrist watch band compass

Bic lighter(S) a couple

Bandanna

Emergency Survival Mylar Thermal Sleeping Bag tiny but  needed

needed in your vehicle

First aid kit

emergency radio so if you leave your vehicle you still have information do not count on a mobile phone

beach towel or / blanket

roll of paper towels

5 gallon bucket & plastic trash bags and if you use feminine products have some NATURE HAPPENS

head net

Large umbrella and folding chair

100% deet insect repellent

stainless injector straight razor with a box of blades you can pick these up at a beauty supply. for less than 10 bucks

Medium pair of nail clippers both the Swiss Army Classic and whatever knife from above has  a file.

Coolgans match container I put in a mix of fish hooks and sewing needles.

My mini BOB is about 6X6X6 inches good heavy nylon military type accessory pouch  even though I quit smoking years ago I still carry a BIC lighter I have a weak but useful button LED lite on my key chain with the Swiss Army Classic. I always wear a hat and a good belt that can be used as a tourniquet if need be traffic accident happen.

with all this you can do wonders BUT I also keep a small pair of binoculars 8X21's a medium weigh Jacket gloves socks and much more in my BOB  / vehicle. I keep plenty of water and individual and small bottles OTC meds simple sh*t like tums aspirin benadryl Clairitin or Loratidin Immodium tylenol

and malox pepto antibiotic ointment bandaids when your out working or traveling it is best to have stuff instead of counting on a store having it and when working a few people it gets used now and again.

Off / private dollar stores are a great resource for OTC meds

Mainstay, SOS emergency food and Millennium food bars

All of this is applicable stored for an emergency for days months or years just increase amounts but watch as some foods has expiration dates of 1 - 5 years and some up to 25 years

canned food can last years past expiry dates but check cans when bloated toss it if they look good some foods fall apart or break down at different rates open smell and just be aware.

I am not sure how people will deal with a situation but we are all just as likely to be in a severe weather event or flood wild fire or stranded by a major wreck on a road so thinking all this prep stuff is for someone else is not recalling all the troubles we see every day on TV if it ain't the end of the world I want to be able to help others and be in comfort  keeping a case of bottled water in my vehicle is no inconvenience makes a nice arm rest in the back seat not having it is a pain in the posterior.

New can openers cut the side it is easy to clean and fill with a mini BOB and glue it back to where it looks like it's suppose to and as a can it is a useful item I make them into portable stoves.  but the idea is to keep rubberneckers from making assumptions a couple cans in a sack bring no ideas to mind except you buy in bulk a few things in a back pack is not going to draw attention but if you have to hump it gather and move out.  If you can drive you have plenty for at least a few days  or as long as your gas lasts.  That brings up NEVER "unless your buggin out" carry gas in a vehicle bad enough to have it in the back or a trailer hitch carrier as azz end wrecks and spillage is explosively dangerous all it takes is vapor and a spark and your a ball of fire on the road.   Best to have some cash stowed in a head rest or other non obvious place and make it in a mix of small bills 1s 5s and 10s and if you hear of a possible problem fill up or top off and never let your tank go below 1/2 if you can help it.

I have been broke down in extreme places in the U.S. some ranches years ago were huge getting stuck could take time before someone showed and weather complicated things so I learned to be ready for most things if heat is an issue have plenty of water if cold is an issue have 1 pound propane bottles and a radiant heater extra clothes and blankets tire chains A SPARE TIRE can of fix-a-flat etc etc etc damn spare has empty space in the rim USE IT.  I cannot tell people how many times I have stopped to help and the vehicle has no jack or handle lug wrench spare or it;s flat and no mini compressor or fix-a-flat  no flashlight water or washer fluid rope or cord not even a friggin' tic-tac breath mint and if your in a wreck or see one or get in trouble just what in the world are you going to do other than sit and cry. -- when seconds count help is minutes away if at all. You and only you can stop failure or stupidity in your own life everyone else is on their own.

A friend of mine in another state, grown child and grandchild were caught in a freak winter storm low on gas no real cold weather clothing and slid off into a ditch luckily the mobile phone worked and he had to risk life and limb to go get them as well as take jackets luck held and it was only a few miles but the road was gridlocked by other problems so he went on a 4-wheeler others were stuck for hours.  Needless to say someone got their butt chewed not for the accident that can happen anytime but the fact it was winter season and no proper clothes gloves blankets drinks or snacks I don't think there was a mobile phone charger either -- he was livid the end of the world may be far off but stupid is right behind you if your not ready IMHO.

AAGGHHHHHH I forgot vinegar I keep 5 gallons on hand and some Apple cider and pickling spices  as well for pickling it is also good to soak and clean with calcium buildup and rust it is a fantastic rust remover I clean tools I get from garage sales wash off wash off with clean soapy water and rinse then oil.