Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Gerber, Bear Gryll's Scout.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/Knives/Survival-Series-Scout_31-000754

I wanted to see if anyone else has this knife. I got it on sale at walmart for 20 bucks so i thought why not because I really like gerber knives (especially the paraframe) and I already have and did a review on bear's ultimate knife. For the money this is a good knife. However I hate how I can not open it and shut it with one hand like the paraframe, its very sharp, I do like the grip. Anyone else tried it?

It was the first run that had some faulty handles on the Ultimate Survival Knife model. They've since fixed it.

I carried this knife model on me for over a year before the pocket clip got caught on the corner of the door in a deer stand this past season and bent outward. I've heard of this happening to a few people because of the flared tip of the clip.

You can bend the metal back, if you've got the tools. If not, the clip can come off with a hex bit and you still have a great knife. I just took off my bent clip and now carry it in a nylon belt pouch.

As cheesy and gimmicky as the Bear Grylls line of stuff from Gerber looks, the knives are actually pretty damn nice (although I will tell everyone to get a LMF II over the Ultimate Survival Knife anyday, it's worth the extra $30).

I hope this helped!

Edited by Delta7

gerber has fixed the faulty handle, but the question arises to me "are the ones on sale the faulty ones?" personally, i think the knife looks pretty awesome, but the fact that it is marketed as an Ultimate Survival knife throws me off since they did in fact release a subpar knife not worthy of the title they branded it with

Yeah, the grip is nice, the build in firesteel and holder is nice, the lanyard whistle is ok, the blade style is the same as the LMF II, but the sheath just SUCKS.

I'd feel comfortable if I got lost in the wilderness with just my LMF II as a blade, and OK if I had the Ultimate Survival, if only because it's almost the LMF II(though I'd prefer my SOG after my LMF II).

You can be sure that non of the ones out there are the foulty ones, the knife first came out pre-holiday season a year or two ago and sold out almost everywhere that sold it. All the faulty have been sold and what they stock/make now are the fixed ones.

I have been recently dissatisfied with Gerber, from what I have seen on store shelves a lot of their products are made in china, its more a personal preference for me, I try really hard to buy as much of my gear made in the USA as possible. But like ricksconnected said, give it a shot and let us know,

Yeah, I got my LMF II from them when everything they had was still made in Oregon (even stamped on the blade). I guess, like all other companies out there, they're trying to save a few bucks by making them over seas. It's a shame, but at least I got mine American made.

I have tried and tested a couple of the "Bear" items made by Gerber. I found them marginal and below the quality I have previously come to expect from Gerber. Then I read an article on the Bear TV show to discover big parts of it are faked which came as no surprise. I mean make an ocean flotation vest out of a dead seal skin? Really?

Nothing wrong with that. The knife you use is a very personal decision. It just sucks that you generally have to buy the knife to figure out how it feels.

If anyone knows of a place where you can rent knives for a week t try them out, let me know ASAP!