Sign in to follow this  
DC Matt

Propper Brand Pants

I'm looking to get some new hiking/hunting pants for this winter. I want something that is relativity lightweight, tough, and not 100% cotton. The more I thought about it, the more something along the lines of a BDU style seemed to fit the bill. My old hiking pants don't have cargo pockets, which is something I'd like in my new pair. I plan on getting OD or brown, so not to be all mall ninja if I wear them around town.

Does anyone have any experince with the Propper brand pants? This brand seems pretty good, but I'm open to any other brand y'all know about. I can see some differences, but don't know from personal experience what really is different between BDU, ACU, and Tactical.

As always, thanks in advance.

Tinderwolf,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Dickies and see if they have something I like. I have some carharts which are great for day hikes and working in the woods. Want something not all cotton so it will dry quicker ow that it's cold.

I was issued this brand of BDU's for pants and tops when I was the team dive medic on our county's dive search/rescue team. I was issued the standard black ripstop nylon/cotton blend. That's all they are. Nothing fancy!! Vertex does make some quality pants. I personally think 5.11 is overrated. Lately they seem to take someone elses idea/product and make their version. Not really original.

I've had dickies work pants , they're some kind of cotton blend that resists water and oil and whatnot, and they're tough. I'm not sure if they're hiking style, but I was thinking of getting some for my BOB. They hold a crease and look like workman's pants and don't stand out.

They don't have lots of cargo pockets or anything though.

Judging from this thread, and my personal experience, a poly cotton blend doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

LAPOLICE GEAR for $17 seems tough to beat

policestuff_2186_142692304

i dont kno nothin about these other brands...i rock dickies

Most of the brands mentioned are made more for the "tactical" arena, but also share a place in the survival arena as well. Alot of the companies mentioned have vets working for them and communicate with current active duty to get feedback, they do this with LEO's as well.

Other brands to look at are Crag Hoppers(craghoppers.com) and Rail Riders(railriders.com). I have not purchased either brand but have seriously considered both. Both are geared to outdoor/travel market. Both have a warm weather and cold weather series. Rail Riders are more expensive but look more robust and according to their p.r. they are worn by SF in Afghanistan. Don't know how true it is. Crag Hoppers: $50-$70.00 per pair and have the look of bdu's in up to 5 colors. Rail Riders: $90-$100.00+ per pair of pants without the military/bdu look. Then there is always the tried and true Carhartt's!!! Been around the block many a times and has a great reputation. Can be bought on sale, as seconds, over stocks, etc; at Sierratradingpost.com!!!