MommyLiberty5013

Rain Water Collection

When we move into our rural property (whenever and wherever that is), I'd like to eventually set up some system for collecting rain water. I have watched a few YouTube videos on the topic.

But, do you guys have any tips or tricks?

One thing I noticed was that some people use PVC to connect multiple barrels, others use cut garden hoses. What do you think is better?

Also, what do you do with them in winter time...in my state we get VERY VERY cold.

just skimmed the web...

some grades of glycerol that is fed to cattle will keep it from freezing

ethanol alcohol used in vodka will keep it from freezing

putting in salt or sugar like to the level of those in sports drinks will keep it from freezing...

your best bet is to figure your freeze line ( depth underground where your waterlines will not freeze)

I would use an underground cistern connected to your gutter system large enough to give you a gallon per person per day.

Water "IS"  it makes no difference if it has "STUFF" in it that is what filtering boiling and treatment are for.

Water is life if you have animals you need more water storage.

It all depends on where you live. How much rain your area gets and how cold your winters are. We have a 2500 gallon above ground plastic cistern that gathers the rain water off the roof. We've never had a freeze problem and it has stayed full even in the summer when it is used to water the gardens. I live in South East Texas about 70 miles north of Houston. Our winters are mild and we get 30" to 35" of rain on average. Lately it has been a lot more than that!! We use a shallow water well pump with a 2 micron filter and a chlorination system we will use if we need it for drinking water. If there was no power then we will tap it from the bottom with a siphon and run it through a filter or boil it for drinking.

It all depends on where you live. How much rain your area gets and how cold your winters are. We have a 2500 gallon above ground plastic cistern that gathers the rain water off the roof. We've never had a freeze problem and it has stayed full even in the summer when it is used to water the gardens. I live in South East Texas about 70 miles north of Houston. Our winters are mild and we get 30" to 35" of rain on average. Lately it has been a lot more than that!! We use a shallow water well pump with a 2 micron filter and a chlorination system we will use if we need it for drinking water. If there was no power then we will tap it from the bottom with a siphon and run it through a filter or boil it for drinking.

Our winters = Arctic blasts. Wind chills are in the minus teens and twenties consistently.

We did not have a real freeze this winter. An hour of 32 just before dawn doesn't even  freeze puddles. One thing you have that we don't though is at least during the winter you have a way of keeping meat. Here you can't even hang a deer unless you have access to a cooler. Even in the dead of the winter you can have days in the upper 70s and I've actually seen it in the 90s in the first week of January once. I took a week of and went fishing. The bass were trying to spawn!!